PDA

View Full Version : XenForo

bipolar
September 21st, 2010, 03:05 PM
The release of the beta forum script XenForo is scheduled for release the first week of October.
Lots of us VB users are watching and looking at this script with some kind of hope B=0 (Not sure about other forum users)

Perhaps it's time to get in touch with the developers and start working on an integration ?! because even If I like the new script there is no way I can switch before a proper import/integration is done.

Just a thought
Thanks

Chuck S
September 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM
I actually emailed xenforo about 2 weeks ago about writing an integration since alot of people have asked but they never responded to me. Unless we get to look at the code we can not write an integration.

bipolar
September 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Yep ... thanks
Just making sure you are on top of it :)

bipolar
September 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Others and I will post at the xenforo forum to get them moving :d

Chuck S
September 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM
Yep if they do not respond to emails we can get nowhere.

motowebmaster
September 21st, 2010, 11:00 PM
October will come soon enough, and it will take some time to test a migration and figure out what the challenges will be. I'll also have to figure out how to implement my site's look/feel to XenForo as well, so there will be plenty to do.

However, I'm in the same boat, can't migrate to XF until PP-Pro can integrate.

Chuck S
September 22nd, 2010, 07:46 AM
Well until there is actual code to look at and we have access to such code we cant integrate and then of course there is the time to actually create an integration. I do not suspect anything being ready anytime real soon moto. ;)

Xenforo may call it beta release but this is a brand new forum. This will be alpha work to say the least. I have seen the forum they have running on there site. Kinda reminds me of FusionBB which a friend of mine created. Its going to be sometime next year before they have a marketable product. Its going to take alot of trust if they expect to sell any licenses before they have a marketable product. That is going to limit access to there code.

I can most definately say that for us to look at there code they need to send us a copy or a customer of there's needs to provide access to a copy of the software.

bipolar
September 23rd, 2010, 01:26 PM
I'm buying a copy to toy with and test for now. I will forward my copy to you as soon as it's out ;)

Chuck S
September 23rd, 2010, 02:11 PM
No problem probally faster then waiting for them to respond.

sagar
October 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Interesting when I checked with Xenforo, those folks are stating Keir and Mike contacted photopost, but not revealing anything beyond that.. Is there any business reason for this not moving forward?

Another thing, if you get a copy, what timeframe we can expect integration to be available? I know you may not be able to "commit" but give some guesstimate

Chuck S
October 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
I am the one who contacted them and have not recieved a reply. I also see nothing in our helpdesk on zenforo so I would suspect we did not get an email for whatever reason so that is the reason.

I can not give any timelines as it will take whatever time it takes but cant say anything till I get code.

I will go post over there or register and PM Kier.

sagar
October 2nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Thank you Chuck!

With IPB announcing Gallery 4 and VB announcing its own Gallery, I think this is a GREAT opportunity for Photopost as a company. There are many users there who are insisting integration with galllery and in particular with PP and Review Post.

I personally think, PP should not loose this business opportunity.

Chuck S
October 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM
thanks I think most galleries seem to play catch up with us. Invisions gallery for instance is absolutely horrid and I doubt vb will be any better since there vb4 product is horrible.

sagar
October 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
I fully agree, whatever people may perceive PP is still superior in many ways. At the same time tighter native integration by IP and VB puts PP at slight disadvantage (except for VB Gallery)

From my conversations with people, I am sure there will be many more PP buyers or old renewers coming in from XenForo. And best XenForo team don't have any plans to release photo gallery not at least for considerable future as their plates are already full :)

Chuck do something about it ;)

Chuck S
October 3rd, 2010, 08:42 PM
I contacted them again we shall see.

cory_booth
October 6th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Got my license yesterday...
It would be nice to see what the near future brings.

Staying tuned...

Chuck S
October 6th, 2010, 07:38 AM
As I have said many times once I gain access to the code to even look into it we shall see.

bipolar
October 6th, 2010, 02:00 PM
where do I send you a copy?

Chuck S
October 6th, 2010, 02:06 PM
chuck at photopost dot com.

bipolar
October 6th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Ok done.

Chuck S
October 6th, 2010, 03:31 PM
No problem I will check that out. Just so you know do not except an answer in a week ;) It will take awhile to write an integration.

bipolar
October 6th, 2010, 03:38 PM
No problem I will check that out. Just so you know do not except an answer in a week ;) It will take awhile to write an integration.

haha well you know we goanna keep bugging you :D

But we want something solid. ;)

Chuck S
October 6th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah I know you all have been bugging me

bipolar
October 6th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure if you are following the news over at xF, but the styles are not going to work the way they do now.
Quote from the official xF announcement :
we have been unable to move portions of the CSS that drives the XenForo style into the Style Properties system as planned. However, this task is near the top of our priority list and we expect the style to be fully propertised in the next beta release, which we will make in the coming days.

As a result, we would advise customers to play with the style system in order to familiarize themselves with its workings, but to be aware that the underlying CSS will be changing in significant ways in the very near future.

So keep that in mind chuck we don't want to waist your time. Keep us updated please, and perhaps if you could open up a small section to post what we want to see in "xFGallery" :D

Thanks

motowebmaster
October 6th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I don't think the styles/css issue will present a problem, but as XF matures it may create some additional integration coding effort until things settle.

bipolar
October 7th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I don't think the styles/css issue will present a problem, but as XF matures it may create some additional integration coding effort until things settle.

I believe it will...

We want complete integration, with side bar in the front page, widgets ..etc ..

Chuck S
October 7th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I believe it will...

We want complete integration, with side bar in the front page, widgets ..etc ..

As long as there is a uniform style class to map to I think what you will see if photopost work with the style colors and login of xenforo.

bipolar
October 7th, 2010, 10:37 PM
How about vBgallery users ? Do I have to migrate over to Photopost Pro ?

Chuck S
October 8th, 2010, 07:51 AM
If you are using vbGallery and no longer use vbulletin then yes you can no longer use vbGallery as that product is only for vbulletin.

bipolar
October 8th, 2010, 10:38 AM
PP is an overkill for my site. Perhaps in due time will have something light for xF like vbgallery

Chuck S
October 8th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Sorry but I doubt that is likely to happen. Just an FYI. Remember you say Pro is overkill however most features in Pro can be turned off so you can down scale it to what features you want.

rickvr
October 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Since IB has filed a lawsuit against Xenforo, is it worth Photopost efforts to integrate with Xenforo before the suit is settled? Personally, I would not purchase a license from Xenforo until the suit is settled. Link:
Internet Brands claims against Xenforo (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?363883-Internet-Brands-claims-against-Xenforo)

AfterWorldForum
October 11th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Good to see things are moving :)

Just to satisfy my curiosity, but how difficult is it/would it be to migrate from vBGallery to Pro? And what about the Classifieds system? (I primarily am interested in the Gallery, as I can live without having Classifieds on my XF forum. The gallery would be a must, though).

bipolar
October 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Since IB has filed a lawsuit against Xenforo, is it worth Photopost efforts to integrate with Xenforo before the suit is settled? Personally, I would not purchase a license from Xenforo until the suit is settled. Link:
Internet Brands claims against Xenforo (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?363883-Internet-Brands-claims-against-Xenforo)

What they do is their own business.
I like xF and most importantly I have faith in Kier so do hundreds of other vB owners.

without going into this whole lawsuit thing I just want to say that anyone can sue anyone, and worse case scenario is IB end up owning xF (which is a bad thing) but it will not affect me personally as a license owner ;)

Chuck S
October 11th, 2010, 06:20 PM
well I doubt invisionboard is going to win any suit against zenforo as I do not see how. The guys behind zenforo where vbulletin guys. If anybody can sue and win it would be the internet brand guys whom own vbulletin. ;)

Just my opinion.

Videx
October 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Heh. He was actually referring to the previous owner of vbulletin - Internet Brands. However, IB has been sold so now someone else owns vb.

Chuck S
October 11th, 2010, 07:28 PM
LOL IB has been sold thats funny

dihuta
October 11th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Can't wait to see Photopost for XenFroto

Trews
October 11th, 2010, 09:26 PM
not interested what so ever
new full of bugs not mature software already cost 140/year
may be in 5 years time would be worth to look at xsenforo
Besides IMHO forum developers a must have their own photo gallery product/addon

How about Joomla Chuck?

bipolar
October 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM
not interested what so ever
new full of bugs not mature software already cost 140/year
may be in 5 years time would be worth to look at xsenforo
Besides IMHO forum developers a must have their own photo gallery product/addon

How about Joomla Chuck?

How about leaving this thread to the folks who are interested in xF then and start your own about Joomla ? ! :cool:

Chuck S
October 12th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Lets keep things nice here.

Trew this thread is not about joomla but I will say there are no immediate plans to support that. Kinda have my plate full with other integrations currently.

AfterWorldForum
October 13th, 2010, 03:30 AM
LOL IB has been sold thats funny

Actually, not officially yet. Internet Brands has a private equity firm interested in snatching it up.

However, there's already lawsuits being launched by IB shareholders about it. The deal has (at least, to the best of my limited knowledge) yet to be approved by shareholders of both companies, and somehow I doubt that the lawsuit filed against XF, which has turned out to be a PR disaster for IB, is going to get them much goodwill from their future potential owner.

Anyway. Looking forward to whatever it is you guys can pump out Gallery-wise for XF :)

Trews
October 13th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Actually, not officially yet. Internet Brands has a private equity firm interested in snatching it up.

However, there's already lawsuits being launched by IB shareholders about it. The deal has (at least, to the best of my limited knowledge) yet to be approved by shareholders of both companies, and somehow I doubt that the lawsuit filed against XF, which has turned out to be a PR disaster for IB, is going to get them much goodwill from their future potential owner.

Anyway. Looking forward to whatever it is you guys can pump out Gallery-wise for XF :)
vB doing a good thing taking those bruts/worms to court whom delayed development of vB for so many years.

Chuck S
October 13th, 2010, 08:34 AM
If this thread can not stay on target I will have to close the discussion.

Michael P
October 27th, 2010, 01:06 PM
PP is an overkill for my site. Perhaps in due time will have something light for xF like vbgallery

First priority for me is a UI update and, hopefully, support for mobile devices, too.

We tried a "light" version, but when you add in all the integrations you end back almost right where you were except with a few options turned off.

Chuck S
October 27th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Yes UI update is the last on our promises to customers two years ago and overdue as all the vb4 integration support has put that on the back burner for too long.

GMS our light version was indeed a disappointment never really got any recognition.

Update on xenforo for users watching this thread. I have been able to make a module thus far that reads the xenforo cookie when you login from xenforo and grabs user info so that portion is all good. I am working on the login integration where you can login through our application login and we can authenticate the info but I am still tracking down how they make the password as they do not really save the password in the database anywhere. Its like a hash of the inputted password and some salt key which I can not track down anywhere to get it right.

I can tell you its going to take awhile to write an full working integration. As far as headers footers styles I do not know what level we will support yet. I have to finish the actual authentication routines before I even get into that. I can say there is alot of hard coding stuff all through there code so alot if going to change with there code over their beta period.

XenForo (http://www.omegatron.net/xenforo/index.php)

A community photo gallery - My Photo Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/photos/index.php)

You can see the little test I am working with. If you register an account on xenforo and login you can see the login is carried over to the gallery ;)

Geiri
October 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Why the focus on this instead of making photopost beeter?
Don't get me wrong everthing that is good for Photopost I like.

Forum Statistics

Members: 3,648

PhotoPost Community Statistics

Members: 76,729

Chuck S
October 27th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Geiri

The one thing for Photopost we will be working on next is a redesign of the User Interface that we promised users awhile back along with SEO and flash upload capability among other things. The UI was saved for last because that will take the longest time. Now obviously all the stuff with vbulletin 4 caused delays in this as we where forced to get all our products working with vb4. Now since all products support vb4 we are once again able to concentrate on the UI of PhotoPost.

With that said integrations with other products is one of the highest key marketing aspects of our product. I recently just got done writing an integration with the wordpress product login which allows users to integrate with wordpress.

Xenforo is a new forum product that will be coming out which is being developed by the old vbulletin team which wrote vbulletin before Internet Brands took over Jelsoft. Alot of vbulletin customers are unhappy with vbulletin 4 and will be defecting to other software products like Invisionboard etc. Xenforo is going to be one such key integration which will more than likely take a nice share of the vbulletin market thus I am looking into possibly supporting that forum as well.

boatswife
October 27th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks for working on this Chuck.

Chuck S
October 27th, 2010, 04:20 PM
No problem boatswife just keeping you informed of the progress ;) can not wait till they get rid of all the hard coded stuff I see.

Geiri
October 27th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Thank you for this explanation Chuck I did not know the story, I consider you the Rock in Photopost I don't really see a team here, I just see you here year after year. I have and have always had High expectations for Photopost.

Keep on Integrating ;)

Geiri

The one thing for Photopost we will be working on next is a redesign of the User Interface that we promised users awhile back along with SEO and flash upload capability among other things. The UI was saved for last because that will take the longest time. Now obviously all the stuff with vbulletin 4 caused delays in this as we where forced to get all our products working with vb4. Now since all products support vb4 we are once again able to concentrate on the UI of PhotoPost.

With that said integrations with other products is one of the highest key marketing aspects of our product. I recently just got done writing an integration with the wordpress product login which allows users to integrate with wordpress.

Xenforo is a new forum product that will be coming out which is being developed by the old vbulletin team which wrote vbulletin before Internet Brands took over Jelsoft. Alot of vbulletin customers are unhappy with vbulletin 4 and will be defecting to other software products like Invisionboard etc. Xenforo is going to be one such key integration which will more than likely take a nice share of the vbulletin market thus I am looking into possibly supporting that forum as well.

Chuck S
October 27th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Well its a small team ;)

You are right I am the one who is always here and I do my fair share of stuff. Michael also develops with the company as well so you could say the team I refer to is really Michael and I.

Michael P
October 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Remember that night at the bar I recruited you, Chuck? :-)

Chuck is the front line guy and takes the brunt of all the support for our products. It really is a small team with a few others who have made significant contributions on the vBGallery side, too.

Xenforo will likely change allot during its path to release; keeping up with the changes will likely be an ongoing project.

Chuck S
October 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM
The night at the bar you recruited me for what photopost. I worked for Photopost already by then by almost 2 years as the bar has been about 5 yrs ago. I hung out at the bar because you came up to my neck of the woods. I still have some pics of that night.

You kinda recruited me for PhotoPost way back in the ubbdev days. I have worked for Photopost for since Spring of 2004 I beleive. Pro 3.0 came out Spring of 2003

Tr!p
October 31st, 2010, 09:09 AM
It's nice to read a little bit about the history gents. I'm betting it's not an uncommon occurrence for most businesses to strike a deal on a new or existing venture at one time or another in a similar setting :cool:
I would just like to chime in and say as an xF user (and existing photopost customer) I'm watching closely to see what the future brings as far an xenForo integration goes.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

Chuck S
October 31st, 2010, 10:03 AM
Yeah I have wrote many integrations over the years so as always we do try and do stuff our customers want. ;)

sagar
October 31st, 2010, 12:09 PM
I am eagerly waiting for this integration Chuck, I hope you will offer this integration VERY soon :D

Yeah I have wrote many integrations over the years so as always we do try and do stuff our customers want. ;)

motowebmaster
October 31st, 2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the effort Chuck.

I have a new Xenforo site running. Some of the users are already uploading pics in the forum posts, but they probably would like the ability to share on a greater scale.

Chuck S
October 31st, 2010, 04:54 PM
sagar it will not be any time real soon. The xenforo code is very raw at this time and its going to take time as they develop and change things for us to support things. I only have one half of the login integration working at this time. Lots of code to learn.

bipolar
November 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM
Yes UI update is the last on our promises to customers two years ago and overdue as all the vb4 integration support has put that on the back burner for too long.

GMS our light version was indeed a disappointment never really got any recognition.

Update on xenforo for users watching this thread. I have been able to make a module thus far that reads the xenforo cookie when you login from xenforo and grabs user info so that portion is all good. I am working on the login integration where you can login through our application login and we can authenticate the info but I am still tracking down how they make the password as they do not really save the password in the database anywhere. Its like a hash of the inputted password and some salt key which I can not track down anywhere to get it right.

I can tell you its going to take awhile to write an full working integration. As far as headers footers styles I do not know what level we will support yet. I have to finish the actual authentication routines before I even get into that. I can say there is alot of hard coding stuff all through there code so alot if going to change with there code over their beta period.

XenForo (http://www.omegatron.net/xenforo/index.php)

A community photo gallery - My Photo Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/photos/index.php)

You can see the little test I am working with. If you register an account on xenforo and login you can see the login is carried over to the gallery ;)

Looks goood :)

Chuck S
November 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
just very raw but its a start

HOTRODBiker
November 6th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Keep up the great work, I'll be waiting patiently.

sagar
November 8th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Any idea when you can share private/public alpha, beta gamma version B=0

just very raw but its a start

Chuck S
November 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM
None at all as stated this is way too soon and it will be awhile. we really do not release beta integrations as there is no support and we have not even got to a point when we can say whether we will definately support the application.

ArnyVee
November 11th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I'm glad that you're working on an integration of Photopost with xenForo Chuck! :D

Now, once you're done with that, please work on an integration of ReviewPost and we'll be all set to go at TeeVeeTown.com (http://www.teeveetown.com/forum) ;)

Chuck S
November 11th, 2010, 07:41 AM
;)

Once an integration is written for one of the products its nothing to port it to the other ones.

1996 328ti
November 11th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Glad to see work begin.
Once I have PP, PP Classifieds and find a CMS and event registration, I can move my vB4 forum over to XF.

With PP I can move my vB3 forum over even quicker. Maybe even pickup another Classifieds license.

sagar
November 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I am also waiting in the line to renew my PP and RP. As soon as integration is announced, will be renewing both.

Chuck S
November 11th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Like I said its going to be awhile before any such integration is announced. Right now I only have a very rough first draft of there code.

dutchbb
November 11th, 2010, 09:10 PM
XenForo support is more important than you think. It basically has the potential of becoming the new vBulletin and is actually very popular already, even though it's in beta.

@Chuck S: thanks for working on this, appreciate it :)

glorify
November 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I will be switching fro IPB to Xen. If you get this done, it'd be great to see an import tool from IPB's Gallery system.

1996 328ti
November 13th, 2010, 11:42 AM
B=0 Integration means more licenses renewed/sold for PP. B=0

Chuck S
November 13th, 2010, 01:07 PM
B=0 Integration means more licenses renewed/sold for PP. B=0

Indeed thats the unique thing about PhotoPost Products which make them popular products web site owners want with the ability to integrate with alot of the more popular forum or CMS products out there. That is our niche.

sagar
November 14th, 2010, 11:22 AM
To Add on this, currently there is absolutely no gallery available for XenForo folks. So the first script that offers integration will have jumpstart like Apple had with ipad or iphone.

Additionally many Xenforo Admins are coming from IPB or VB so they know PP its pros/cons and especially the quality of integration PP offers which is unmatched to any other product. I am sure these folks will jump in as soon as PP integration is available

XenForo support is more important than you think. It basically has the potential of becoming the new vBulletin and is actually very popular already, even though it's in beta.

@Chuck S: thanks for working on this, appreciate it :)

1996 328ti
November 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM
To Add on this, currently there is absolutely no gallery available for XenForo folks. So the first script that offers integration will have jumpstart like Apple had with ipad or iphone.

Additionally many Xenforo Admins are coming from IPB or VB so they know PP its pros/cons and especially the quality of integration PP offers which is unmatched to any other product. I am sure these folks will jump in as soon as PP integration is availableI'm not sure how many would jump in.
There are those who cry at the thought of spending a dime.
Everything should be free.
Where PP will be important are those who already have PP installed.

Chuck S
November 14th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Reality is things are not free ;)

matusman
November 15th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Chuck, globalsalt is on line 465 in forum/library/XenForo/Application.php. That's in Beta3.

matusman
November 15th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Here is a quote from xenforo thread discussing WP3 bridge (http://xenforo.com/community/threads/wordpress-3-bridge.5398/page-3#post-84176).

And one more thing about cookies: it seems that globalSalt is unique for every license, so in order to get cookie auth working you should replace globalSalt value in bridge's class_core.php with the value from XenForo's library/XenForo/Application.php

Chuck S
November 15th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Yeah I am gonna have to contact the guy I got a copy from I am only on beta 1 LOL but thanks

As I have stated before lets hope Xenforo guys are working on removing all the hard coded mess in there application. ;)

matusman
November 15th, 2010, 07:48 AM
This guy has done it for his CMS:
Contentteller CMS - now integrates with Xenforo

The integration script support the same features like the other integration scripts including shared login, avatar, the ability to use forum threads for comments, and to show the latest threads in the website blocks.

Contentteller version 2.1.5 (2010-10-14)
Details: Contentteller 2.1.5 released (http://community.contentteller.com/f2/1142_contentteller_2_1_5_released.html)

When integrating CMS, it asks xenforo admin to provide unique globalsalt for his license.

sagar
November 21st, 2010, 07:21 PM
Free type folks would not buy xenforo in first place they would be happy with phpbb and other forums. There are threads on XF where people are waiting for Gallery add on either to start real community. even if you get 10% people buying/renewing their PP licenses it would be much better than 0%

I'm not sure how many would jump in.
There are those who cry at the thought of spending a dime.
Everything should be free.
Where PP will be important are those who already have PP installed.

puertoblack2003
November 30th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'm looking forward to this.I have a forum up and running using xenforo

sagar
December 1st, 2010, 10:06 PM
I too just logged in to see if Chuck has posted any new update B=0

I'm looking forward to this.I have a forum up and running using xenforo

Chuck S
December 2nd, 2010, 08:08 AM
Nope nothing new need to get hold of the guy I got a copy from and get updated code still playing with the login stuff

As stated this will be awhile because it is not top of the list. These things I do in free time. Product support installs upgrades the normal stuff I do in everyday life takes precedence.

mgsteve
December 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
The problem is Chuck, we're (as I'm sure many others are) waiting for the gallery integration before we move to XenForo. If another gallery package releases a XF integration and there's no sign of one from yourself, you risk loosing people to the competition.

It may not be important to you, but moving away from VB is important to a hell of a lot of people at the moment and quite a few are only being held back by the fact their galleries link into XF.

tbh, I wouldn't care if it was a basic tie in on the user level and that was it. Visual Integration into the forum itself can come afterwards, I just want to be able to link the gallery to the forum so that a member logged into the forum is also logged in on the gallery & any usergroup permissions that are set are applied.

Anything extra is bonus, but not ultimately required now.

XF is going to be the next big thing in Forum software, if I was you, I'd be rushing to get the Integration done and be the first to do so. You'd get people like me paying for the upgrade to the latest version and you may even tempt people away from the competition because you've got the tie-in to XF first.

Your call, but I think I've made my point clear.

Videx
December 3rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
... XF is going to be the next big thing in Forum software...Clearly in your own mind, anyway. You may be right, but let's revisit the question in ten years when they have an actual track record and some sales.

Chuck S
December 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
mgsteve integrations take time. Thats just how it is. Xenforo is not even a gold release software and some time away from that. We hope to integrate with it when it does go gold but that all depends on many factors.

The simple point is we as a company are not going to slack on our responsibilities to our current customers running supported integrations. That is our priority taking care of our supported software. I do side stuff like looking into possible integrations etc in free time. PhotoPost is not a large company by any means we are small.

mgsteve
December 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM
Clearly in your own mind, anyway. You may be right, but let's revisit the question in ten years when they have an actual track record and some sales.

Well, at risk of turning this into an XF debate, in 10 years time, I can quite easily see XF as the most popular forum software bar non. vB will still be going, but unless something drastic happens, its on its way down. Hell, in 3 years time I could see XF having more installed forums than vB. Its one reason why IB are trying their best to sue XF into bankruptcy, they know what's at stake.

mgsteve integrations take time. Thats just how it is. Xenforo is not even a gold release software and some time away from that. We hope to integrate with it when it does go gold but that all depends on many factors.

The simple point is we as a company are not going to slack on our responsibilities to our current customers running supported integrations. That is our priority taking care of our supported software. I do side stuff like looking into possible integrations etc in free time. PhotoPost is not a large company by any means we are small.

I appreciate they take time and I wasn't suggesting you slack on any responsibilities. All I was suggesting that its potentially a key integration that you'd do well to get at the very least, a basic integration out ASAP. Even if its not officially supported yet - as long as it did as I said above, enabled basic forum & gallery user account integration, that would be enough.

The first gallery software to tie into XF is going to have a big advantage over any other....

Chuck S
December 3rd, 2010, 09:12 PM
I appreciate they take time and I wasn't suggesting you slack on any responsibilities. All I was suggesting that its potentially a key integration that you'd do well to get at the very least, a basic integration out ASAP. Even if its not officially supported yet - as long as it did as I said above, enabled basic forum & gallery user account integration, that would be enough.

The first gallery software to tie into XF is going to have a big advantage over any other....

As I have said I will let people know once we have a supported integration with Xenforo. Much like any software company tells people since timelines are meaningless in software development it is done when its done. ;) I am about 50% of the way there but alot of the time is going to be spent as Xenforo matures. The code in its present stage is very hard coded and is going to change alot. You really cant support an integration until things stabalize.

Right now I am waiting on word trying to get the latest beta thats out. I still am working on beta one which was really alpha software.

The point being I am not going to announce we support Xenforo and then be committed to providing support for something that potentially could blow up our support channels. Thats why really no official integration would be released close to a gold release of Xenforo. No decisions will be made until I am near 100% done with whatever integration level we will support. I may bring in a few people most likely when I am close to 100% to test things out.

FASherman
December 5th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Are you still in need of a license to develop against?

Chuck S
December 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I do need someone to send me the latest they have. I am trying to find the original email I had where someone sent me a beta 1.

Chuck S
December 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I have had no luck finding out who gave me the source code. I can not continue on this till I have get updated code.

bipolar
December 17th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I have had no luck finding out who gave me the source code. I can not continue on this till I have get updated code.

Email on the way Chuck

Chuck S
December 17th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Okay so it was you ;)

Yeah I have been doing a search in our helpdesk on wording xenforo but for some reason no results are coming up.

Chuck S
December 18th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Well good news. I was able to work out the integration from an authentication level. It reads the xenforo cookie and now you can login with your xenforo login from photopost and creates the cookie etc. Right now it works with the remember me box.

I have yet to work on the session cookie authentication routines. I have yet to decide what level of integration we will have. Right now I am able to follow the basic color scheme but thats it.

I have no idea also at this point if we are able to have the same level of integration we have with vbulletin as I have not looked into how headers footers are done or even if its possible to wrap all that around our application.

chrisstinson
December 18th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Great news. I am also looking forward to Xenforo integration.

Chuck S
December 18th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Yes have the basics worked out its even working with sessions now. As seen on my site its fully functional now

1996 328ti
December 18th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Yes have the basics worked out its even working with sessions now. As seen on my site its fully functional now
*LIKE*
Would classifieds be far behind?

Chuck S
December 18th, 2010, 08:16 PM
oh they are easy. I can write up classifieds and reviewpost in minutes thats not an issue once i have one integration done porting them to the other apps is easy.

Right now Xenforo is on a beta 5. They still have alot of hard coded variables etc in their code. I have no idea why they hard code the globalsalt variable. Seems to be that should be a config file variable if you ask me. My access is very limited on the xenforo site so I do not have access to get alot of info. Things I need to figure out is more about the style integration. Whether or not its possible to wrap the xenforo header and footer around our application. Those I think are things that might come along as the application matures. I do not see alot of info about that yet.

All thats immaterial really because at this point we can soon as I finish up a few things support the level of integration over 50% or more of our integrations use.

boatswife
December 19th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Thanks for working on this Chuck! It's very much appreciated.

Chuck S
December 19th, 2010, 09:06 AM
No problem working on new integrations is what I do in my spare time. Kind of the niche for our product.

cory_booth
December 21st, 2010, 06:58 PM
Chuck, you need a playground?

I have no problem opening up my xenforo site via FTP and AdminCP

Send me a note: cory-at-thebooths.org

Chuck S
December 21st, 2010, 07:04 PM
I already have a working site. Not much more I can do at this point except to see how there code matures.

FASherman
January 8th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Let me know if you need someone to help with any alpha/beta testing.

Chuck S
January 8th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I have a working integration at this point it is all about seeing how xenforo plays out since it is still a early beta product.

sagar
January 13th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Would you mind releasing that as Alpha version without any support?

I have a working integration at this point it is all about seeing how xenforo plays out since it is still a early beta product.

Chuck S
January 13th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I will have to think about that as for me to do that i would need to also make the time to tell people how to set things up. See because to fully add it I need to modify files like the install file etc.

AfterWorldForum
January 20th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I'd also love a gallery product for XF. I currently use vBGallery, and frankly, I do not care who offers a properly working XF gallery. The first one to come up with a proper solution will be the one I'll use to finally get rid of the bugridden user-unfriendly nightmare that is vB4. If your gallery supports a converter for my current files, then all the better.

Chuck S
January 20th, 2011, 07:18 AM
well xenforo I am just waiting to see if they change anything to break the user integration since it is beta software. We do not support beta so its a holding pattern. Given how there does not appear to be any real way to pull there header footer I do not beleive we can support the level of integration that vbulletin enjoys. vbulletin kind of made it easy to do all that. Xenforo maybe in the future there code would mature and users could do that.

We may release it soon but I would have to do a mini release say Pro 7.04 as I really need to adjust the other files needed so users can do a reinstall.

You can already switch content from vbGallery to Photopost Pro there is already a script for that.

matusman
January 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM
well xenforo I am just waiting to see if they change anything to break the user integration since it is beta software. We do not support beta so its a holding pattern.

Chuck, RC1 is released. See below:

XenForo 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1 moves us one step closer to a stable release. This release includes a number of bug fixes, as well as a few small feature changes. The focus is now solely on working towards a stable release. We'd like to thank all our customers and everyone else who has helped us to reach this milestone.

XenForo 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1 | XenForo Community (http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-0-0-release-candidate-1.10808/#post-145790)

Chuck S
January 20th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Yep I need to try and get hold of an RC and check it out

matusman
January 20th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Chuck, come on, it sounds like PhotoPost is not taking XenForo seriously enough. Not trying to be harsh here; but can't you, guys, afford buying 1 xF license instead of always appealing to customers to provide a copy?

Chuck S
January 20th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I beleive PhotoPost may own a few different licenses but not many. PhotoPost has no direct position on Xenforo whether good or bad. It has no track record.

Sorry I write these types of integrations in my free time and I am definately personally not buying a xenforo license as I have no plans to run that forum. In fact Xenforo being a completely new application should IMO be providing Photopost with a free license since we have a pretty nice customer base that could switch to there product from vbulletin. Thats my opinion though. They never offered.

There is always some level of customer interaction needed when you come here asking us to support a new integration type. From a company standpoint from what I see right now when I get ready to release any supported integration it is not going to help us in sales only more support requests. It is about 5 of you guys here who have requested integration already own licenses. I have visited the xenforo site. It is the same 5 guys wanting this posting there also. Its a sad fact but 95% of all photopost installs are either standalone or integrated with vbulletin. I have wrote alot of integrations over the years trying to change that percentage.

I am merely spending my free time trying to help you. Not like I am going to release this integration and we are going to get a flood of new customers. We both know better than that. Me doing this integration is merely to make some customers who already exist and switch to xenforo to vbulletin happy. If we pick up a couple new licenses then thats good but this is all about helping you all out so you can switch not our company.

matusman
January 20th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I understand what you are saying, Chuck. You know XenForo lacks a Gallery add-on. I imagine there is a demand for it. I also think most of XenForo's customers are vB converts. They are already familiar with PhotoPost.

Chuck S
January 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah I see the fair share of bashing over there which I always hated about the vb site it seems it followed there. ;)

What I am working on now since it seems impossible to really use the header footer of xenforo currently is trying to wrap our tables with the xenforo ol li statements

A community photo gallery - My Photo Gallery (http://omegatron.net/photos/)

Chuck S
January 21st, 2011, 12:34 PM
I think I have done all I can do at this point until xenforo matures some. I will be releasing a module for xenforo sometime this weekend just wrapping up all documentation.

Here is what I have thus far

A community photo gallery - My Photo Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/photos/)

matusman
January 21st, 2011, 06:18 PM
Finally it's here. :) Gracias!

Chuck S
January 21st, 2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah you can see my site at that link thats about all I can do without lots more info and hopefully if in the future xenforo has the ability to use its header footer style around a base page we can expand the functionality to rival the vb integration.

1996 328ti
January 21st, 2011, 07:27 PM
I am merely spending my free time trying to help you. Not like I am going to release this integration and we are going to get a flood of new customers. We both know better than that. Me doing this integration is merely to make some customers who already exist and switch to xenforo to vbulletin happy. If we pick up a couple new licenses then thats good but this is all about helping you all out so you can switch not our company.That is a very realistic approach. You are not going to sell a license to those who already think vB or XF is too much money.

I need to convert my vB forums over to XF and they need a gallery.
This way I continue to pay my renewal fees each year.
I hope Classifieds will be easy for you to bridge.

Chuck S
January 21st, 2011, 07:34 PM
I will be releasing versions that support xenforo soon for classifieds and reviewpost.

Yes I always have a realistic approach to things in general. I have been in this business along time. Following threads like this one can see its like the same couple people asking. The company in general does not generate sales of new licenses on something like this. It is merely to keep users happy and giving them a choice. If Xenforo takes off then we may pick up a few new licenses but in general its minimal. Since 45% of our customers run vbulletin any money to be made will be off people switching away from vbulletin and come back to us in member renewal fees which in turn pays for support. It is a never ending cycle.

AfterWorldForum
January 22nd, 2011, 12:46 PM
I will be releasing versions that support xenforo soon for classifieds and reviewpost.

Awesome news, Chuck :) I'm very happy to hear that.

I own a license that is currently not doing much other than sitting around. If you need a license to have a look at the XF code, then I'll get in touch with the XF team and ask them if it will be alright for me to "borrow" it to you.

Chuck S
January 22nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
well I do not think there is much else I can look at currently. Looks like with an RC they are reading in the coming months to release a good so I do not think they will be changing much.

In the future if the ability is there to load the nxenforo header footer then I can look at expanding the supported module.

Chuck S
January 24th, 2011, 04:54 PM
http://www.photopost.com/forum/photopost-pro-installation-upgrades/145186-photopost-pro-7-1-released-01-24-11-a.html

It's here ;)

A community photo gallery - My Photo Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/photos/)

cory_booth
January 24th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Looks a bit funny in IE9

It may be beta, but a lot of people are using it.

Chuck S
January 24th, 2011, 06:50 PM
well xenforo is beta for sure and something about IE for sure that makes it look different

Chuck S
January 24th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Just a padding issue in IE9 fixed.

motowebmaster
January 24th, 2011, 09:29 PM
This is great news, but when I looked at your demo site I noticed that the top login bar doesn't show. The padding/spacing issues are easy to resolve, but am curious if that would be the only issue. My XF site is pretty much standard, with the exception of a sitemap addon and a custom skin; but it uses a dynamic element in the header that is specified in the admincp. My thought is that this could likely be duplicated, but hard-coded, would that be true?

The other aspect that I previously didn't think much of was the amount of table code that reveals itself when PP-Pro is integrated in something that doesn't use it. For some applications tables are best (such as displaying a calendar), but for the basic functions of displaying a set of albums or pictures could a particular template set be copied into a new directory, modified, and somehow configured as the preferred template set?

Chuck S
January 25th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Shawn the reason you dont see any login bar in the header is because there is not one. Photopost is not pulling the xenforo header. That is just an html mock up by me. I am putting a mocked up header footer around photopost. It only supports user login style colors at this moment.

Chuck S
January 25th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Coming soon for all Classifieds integration with Xenforo.

Main Index - PhotoPost Classifieds (http://omegatron.net/classifieds/index.php)

motowebmaster
January 26th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Shawn the reason you dont see any login bar in the header is because there is not one. Photopost is not pulling the xenforo header. That is just an html mock up by me. I am putting a mocked up header footer around photopost. It only supports user login style colors at this moment.

So at this point I would need to do something similar to integrate with Xenforo; essentially take my custom skin and create some "wrap around" HTML to achieve a similar look?

Regarding my second question, does PP-Pro standalone support creating or adding custom template sets? Or does the Xenforo integration already use a unique template directory (similar to vbulletin)?

Chuck S
January 26th, 2011, 05:07 AM
You should get basic css integration and login yes. Xenforo does not have the ability to wrap its header footer around another application yet thats the one thing that keeps the product from having the same ability as vb had. There is a custom set of templates for xenforo so you can tailor things as you wish.

sagar
January 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Chuck this is the BEST NEWS :D Looking forward to ReviewPost Release as Well

sagar
January 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Chuck, thanks a tonne! I am so glad finally I can add PP and RP to the site.

Chuck S
January 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM
enjoy yeah its going to take a few to get reviewpost just wrapped up classifieds.

wickedstangs
February 21st, 2011, 10:01 PM
Anyone have what it looks like without the header and footer? Im interested in getting Photopost to intergrate with my Xenforo site. How would I link to it?

Chuck S
February 22nd, 2011, 03:59 AM
The photopost would look like what is between the header and footer. everything but the header and footer is photopost.

wickedstangs
February 28th, 2011, 08:57 PM
not understanding.. Can you show me a picture.. Really need a Gallery for my site..

wickedstangs
February 28th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I would post a picture of what I think your telling me:) But, again
"You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more."

wickedstangs
February 28th, 2011, 08:59 PM
10 more post to go not trying to spam just need a gallery quick...

Chuck S
February 28th, 2011, 10:54 PM
There are links in this thread to a test copy running with xenforo try post 123

wickedstangs
February 28th, 2011, 10:59 PM
with footer and header
w w w.wickedstangs.com/images/myphoto.png

no footer and header????
w w w.wickedstangs.com/images/myphoto2.png

How would you get back to the main forum pages?

Chuck S
March 1st, 2011, 07:00 AM
You would normally put links to get back and forth in your header and footers

dutchbb
March 9th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Good to know this is already available.

Question: I have a single database which contains vBulletin, Photopost and Reviewpost data. Let's say I want to switch from vBulletin to XenForo and integrate RP/PP with it. What would be the best setup/procedure for this change, and is there some tutorial for this process?

I was thinking of importing the vBulletin data in a new XenForo database, then use the old vB/RP/PP database as new RP/PP database (removing the vB tables). Would that work?

Also do you recommend separate databases or combined?

Chuck S
March 9th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I was thinking of importing the vBulletin data in a new XenForo database, then use the old vB/RP/PP database as new RP/PP database (removing the vB tables). Would that work?

Sure that would work. You can do it whichever way

Switching integrations has been discussed a few times here ;)

http://www.photopost.com/forum/photopost-pro-how-do-i/136288-switching-phpbb-vbulletin.html

John Deer
March 11th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I got a big problem - someone stoled my account on your forum(

Chuck S
March 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Not sure what your referring to but I am sure you can contact the company about any issue you have. Posting in this thread is a bit off topic.

Reeftanksonline
March 13th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Any more progress with the integration ? are the headers and footers going to work with the integration soon? now that the hooks are in place can you make a recent photo block plugin?

Just wondering if I should keep with photopost or wait for a gallery plugin

Basically Im asking what are the plans for photopost and XenForo

Chuck S
March 13th, 2011, 03:34 PM
There are no immediate plans to increase any level of integration with Xenforo. Right now we are working on updates to our core products with special attention going into the new PP8. I really can not comment on how further we can integrate with that product until such time as it matures and documentation is released on how to send xenforo headers footers around a custom page. I did post all this earlier in this thread.

jörgk
March 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hello Chuck,

i have the vb gallery. can i use this gallery for xenforo? i have installed yesterday a new vb board.but it has so many bugs. i will install today a new xenforo board, but i need a gallery. what can i do?

Chuck S
March 23rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
vbgallery is written for only vbulletin so no you can not use that gallery. Only Photopost Pro is compatible with the xenforo login.

jörgk
March 23rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
hello,

can i change my vbgallery to photo post, or must i buy a new photopost-gallery? can i buy a update from vb gallery to photopost?

i will not use vb again in my life.

sorry for my bad english

Chuck S
March 23rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
That would depend I guess on your licensing as to when you bought a license. If you sign into your members area you should be able to see if you have access to the Pro code.

jörgk
April 12th, 2011, 08:18 AM
hello,

is theire a full working demo of xenforo and photopost? i have seen your link here in this thread...........but this demo looks not so good. i will buy a new photopost gallery if it works with xenforo.......

Chuck S
April 12th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Not sure what you mean the demo is fully working and looks fine.

jörgk
June 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
hello chuck,

can you give me 2-3 sample sites, where photopost and xenforo running together? i will buy it today, but i will see some samples :)
questions: have you a manuel, for the installation on a xenforo board? is theire a full working germany language paket for the photopost gallery?

Chuck S
June 4th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I can not tell you who is running what. I can tell you my little test gallery to write the integration already has links here in this thread we are talking in.

http://www.photopost.com/forum/1278572-post46.html

There is a german language pack for Pro yes and install instructions for the application are off the support tab in our header.

Garamond
June 7th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Did a fresh install of 7.1 Pro under XenForo, but I can't login to the PP admin. I only get this error:

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/1/s/site/forum/album/forums/xenforo.php on line 47

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/1/s/site/forum/album/forums/xenforo.php on line 332

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/1/s/site/forum/album/forums/xenforo.php on line 225

I double-checked the globalSalt code.

Chuck S
June 7th, 2011, 02:27 PM
That seems to suggest something different as your issue like your database information to connect to xenforo is incorrect or you did not enter the correct xenforo table prefix when asked on install.

Those errors are because we can not query your xenforo database tables and retrieve the information we are requesting.

Garamond
June 7th, 2011, 04:40 PM
You are correct as usual, I forgot to add the 'xf_' table prefix. Thanks.

Garamond
June 7th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Is there a way to import PhotoPost gallery images onto the XenForo installment from a vBulletin-installation? Will it work to just copy the tables?

Chuck S
June 7th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I am not sure what you mean fully so you might need to explain. Your photos should already be in your gallery. If you switched to xenforo from vbulletin I assume you used any xenforo import scripts to import your vbulletin members and content. Then as far as photopost the steps to switch an integration are well documented in several threads basically you reinstall your gallery to integrate with the new forum.

The thing that stops most people from switching integrations and keeping old content are the inability of many forums to have import scripts from other forums. vbulletin does I know that.

Garamond
June 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Well, I've been searching a bit - and only found several threads where you only say "to switch an integration are well documented in several threads" which is very little helpful when we have to go looking for then and not finding anything.

Chuck S
June 10th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Well a search for switch integration returns 197 results. I have posted links in a number of those threads most point to this

http://www.photopost.com/forum/1222477-post2.html

Garamond
June 15th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Is such an integration possible to get your help to do?

Chuck S
June 15th, 2011, 07:52 AM
well I would need more info to do an exact quote. I can say off the top of my head the cost would involve a Photopost install service which is $59.00 and a forum install which is $70.00 and then we would do a custom charge to cover any time done with the other work like imports usual costs would vary depending on the size of the site as custom charges are done on a time basis. Most likely the charge there would range another 35-70 dollars. You can email us through the contact us link with more detailed site info if you want me to give you an exact quote on handling the switch.

Octavius
October 25th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I am not sure what you mean fully so you might need to explain. Your photos should already be in your gallery. If you switched to xenforo from vbulletin I assume you used any xenforo import scripts to import your vbulletin members and content. Then as far as photopost the steps to switch an integration are well documented in several threads basically you reinstall your gallery to integrate with the new forum.

The thing that stops most people from switching integrations and keeping old content are the inability of many forums to have import scripts from other forums. vbulletin does I know that.

I'll be switching my vbulletin forum over to xenforo in a couple of days. So basically all I have to do to integrate photopost with xenforo is to upgrade the forum to xenforo first then reinstall photopost?

Chuck S
October 25th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Yes the exact steps to switch an integration are listed many times on our site if you search for "switch integration"

Basically yes you switch your forum to xenforo. You clear the photopost usergroups table of any entries as those would be from vb. You of course upgrade your photopost files and reinstall to integrate with xenforo. You would need to upgrade your photopost through the upgrade as well if your photopost is older than the latest.

twitch
October 27th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I have xenforo and testing photopost pro with it but without header/footer integration, I see it difficult for me to implement on my live site. Is there no way to do that? If not, how would users get back to the main site? Is there a way to add a link back to the main forums?

Chuck S
October 28th, 2011, 06:51 AM
The integration is what we state it is user login and css color matching.

You would create static headers and footers over photopost with html to mimic the xenforo header thats all I did on my example site.

The only enhanced integration we support is vbulletin.

twitch
October 28th, 2011, 07:14 AM
The integration is what we state it is user login and css color matching.

You would create static headers and footers over photopost with html to mimic the xenforo header thats all I did on my example site.

The only enhanced integration we support is vbulletin.

Ok, thanks. I hope this changes in the near future. I'm not sure I can add the html header and footer but I will give it a try.

Chuck S
October 28th, 2011, 07:45 AM
All you do is view the source of your forum and grab the html for the header and the footer and place them in header footer html files you load around photopost.

Octavius
October 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Hey Chuck do private pics come up as thumbnails in the latest pics in photopost 8 beta or did you fix that bug that was in photopost 7?

Chuck S
October 28th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I am really not sure what your referring to private pics do not show in photopost 7.

Reeftanksonline
October 30th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Chuck, no disrespect but even this site never upgraded to the newest version of VB. Don't you think it would be a good move to try to get the newest and most up to date forum software to integrate with photopost as good as it can?

The header and footer integration should be easy if you were serious about the future with Xenforo.

Chuck S
October 30th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Michael and I as developers do not develop software on this site so the owner of the company can run whatever forum and version he chooses to provide support to the customers. We obtain the latest versions when we write integrations and use those on our own personal development sites. The support forums here are separate from any software we support.

As far as xenforo I spent alot of my time writing an integration which about 10 users out of 50000 customers use. I can definately tell you calling a header or footer is not that easy from what I see. I would have included that type of integration if I could have.

We are an extremely small company and our resources and time are limited by income versus expenses. Standalone and vBulletin integrations represent 90% of our customer base so developmentally this is where you see alot of our time go.

Reeftanksonline
October 30th, 2011, 06:47 PM
As far as xenforo I spent alot of my time writing an integration which about 10 users out of 50000 customers use. I can definately tell you calling a header or footer is not that easy from what I see. I would have included that type of integration if I could have.

We are an extremely small company and our resources and time are limited by income versus expenses. Standalone and vBulletin integrations represent 90% of our customer base so developmentally this is where you see alot of our time go.

I bet more than 10 users would use it if it worked as well as the other integrations you have. I have been a long time user and would love to keep using your product. I fully understand your point. Mine point is that the times are changing.if you look at the numbers you would agree. 50000 customers this year is great wouldn't it be better to get more for next?

Thx for always being a gentlemen Im bringing this up in a sincere way i hope its taken that way.

Chuck S
October 30th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Xenforo works just like we state and is supported the same was as well over half the integrations we have. 13 our of 21 of the integrations we have support login and css integrations with xenforo being one of those.

http://www.photopost.com/forum/before-you-buy/114560-what-integrations-we-support.html

We offer enhanced integration with only one forum and that is vbulletin simply because it is possible to call headers and footers around other applications. or php pages. No other forum has that ability from what I have seen. I wrote well over half the integrations we use so I do know what can or can not be done with the current coding of certain applications. Alot of applications are not compatible to call there headers footers or css around outside applications.

I always support the highest level of integration I see that we can when writing an integration. Like take phpbb2 for example. We support css integration with that forum yet in phpbb3 we had to drop css integration and only support user login because simply put the new forum has no uniform css style for us to map to thus the integration is lowered for their newer product. It is always about what can be done based on the product coding. If xenforo forum ever makes it possible to include there header and footer around a stock blank page I will gladly look at the possibility to include it but currently there is no way that I see to do that.

Now you can easily add your xenforo header and footer to photopost real easy html wise.

There is a header.htm and footer.htm in the photopost directory. In global options in admin of photopost fill out the full server path to those files and save. You can then edit your photopost header and footer through the edit header edit footer links in admin provided you have set those files to 666 permissions on the server.

You can view your xenforo forum page source in your browser and you will find header and footer tags in the source like this

<header>
header html is here
</header>

<footer>
footer code is here
</footer>

Now do not copy those header or footer lines but you can in your xenforo page source copy any html between those respective into headers and footers you can get things to display

http://www.omegatron.net/photos/index.php

Try playing around with it its easy just grab my header footer htm files use those just replace my forum url etc with yours

http://www.omegatron.net/photos/header.htm
http://www.omegatron.net/photos/footer.htm

twitch
November 1st, 2011, 05:21 PM
Some xenforo Photopost Pro feedback at the xenforo site
Photopost Pro Gallery Integration | Page 3 | XenForo Community (http://xenforo.com/community/threads/photopost-pro-gallery-integration.11081/page-3#post-280516)
Photopost Pro Gallery Integration | Page 2 | XenForo Community (http://xenforo.com/community/threads/photopost-pro-gallery-integration.11081/page-2)

Chuck S
November 1st, 2011, 05:38 PM
That has no bearing though on what I have already stated as it does not change the facts here.

There is no way I see to automatically pull a xenforo header and footer around our application. We integrate at the maximum level one can with what we see. We support the css style colors and user login which is how we do the majority of our integrations.

vbulletin is the only forum where there is a way to pull a header and footer because it is possible to do that with that forum. Its pretty simply with that forum to be honest.

Like I said in the future if that forum allows its users a way to place the forum header footer around a basic php page and shows there users how it can be done we will gladly work on updating the integration.

To date the facts on this matter have not changed. Remember I am not a xenforo customer. I have said any customer who finds out that a header footer from the forum can be pulled around a basic php page can give us that information to look at. I have not had any such replies.

Peter
November 6th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Hi there, I am jumping in the bouat of Xenforo.

I have VB 4.1.7 and PP 7.1 working fine.

My final setup I am looking for is WordPress for News, Xenforo for forum and PP for gallery.

It seems everything can work fine and with integrated users.

Whats the move I have to do with VB and PP to make this work ?

1- Install Xenforo
2- Import VB there
3- Upgrade PP config ?

Thats it ?

Please let me know what are the steps necesarry for this.

Is there any known issues with Xenforo as a VB user I should be aware ?

Thanks.

Chuck S
November 6th, 2011, 07:15 AM
There are alot of threads here on switching integrations. The steps are kind of what you say but a little more detailed

1. install xenforo
2. use any xenforo import script to import your forum content
3. delete any entries under your photopost usergroups table
4. reinstall Photopost into its same database tables etc so nothing is deleted and install to integrate with xenforo correctly answering all info.
5. in the photopost imports forum here you will see a userfix script that is used to realign userids when switching to vb or any forum you need to download and run that to fix the userids which will change from your forum import.

Peter
November 6th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks Chuck.

I see no script for that, can you please point me to the correct script ?

I have VB and I will have XF. I see no script for that or other when moving away from VB.

Thanks.

Peter
November 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Another thing.

Is this updated (http://omegatron.net/xenforo/index.php) ?

Because going there there is nothing about the gallery, can you please share the info of what xenforo with pp does and support ?

I am used to VB + PP and I have a gallery button in the menu, latest images or random, etc...

What does xenforo + PP looks like ?

Any other examples ?

Thanks.

Chuck S
November 6th, 2011, 02:00 PM
You will have to ask xenforo about whatever importers they have to move forum content I have no knowledge of there stuff just telling you the steps needed which are pretty generic for any forum switch we support and reintegrating the gallery. The gallery script to realign the forum userid is the last step after everything I noted has been done and that is here

http://www.photopost.com/forum/photopost-pro-import-scripts/115240-reassign-userids-when-switching-integrations-vbulletin.html

Minus any header footer I put up a stock xenforo integrated gallery is this

twitch
November 13th, 2011, 10:15 AM
You will have to ask xenforo about whatever importers they have to move forum content I have no knowledge of there stuff just telling you the steps needed which are pretty generic for any forum switch we support and reintegrating the gallery. The gallery script to realign the forum userid is the last step after everything I noted has been done and that is here

http://www.photopost.com/forum/photopost-pro-import-scripts/115240-reassign-userids-when-switching-integrations-vbulletin.html

Minus any header footer I put up a stock xenforo integrated gallery is this

Wow, how did you get the header and footer for xenforo in there? Looks great! Please share.

Chuck S
November 13th, 2011, 10:56 AM
As I have posted several times here that is merely an html mockup of the forum header footer using the header.htm and footer.htm files in the gallery directory

http://omegatron.net/photos/header.htm
http://omegatron.net/photos/footer.htm

Nothing magical for sure.

jdougher
November 18th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I'm thinking of implementing photopost on a recent xenforo experiment (love xenforo, btw! what a huge breath of fresh air that is!). Can I see some sample forums that use photopost on a xenforo board? Also, is there a "featured photos" block plugin or addon for xenforo?

Finally, would it be better to use the 7.1 version of photopost pro or the 8 beta?

Chuck S
November 18th, 2011, 04:57 PM
You can use whatever version you want really. My test setup is already linked here.

There are no mods for xenforo that I am aware of.

jdougher
November 18th, 2011, 05:21 PM
You can use whatever version you want really. My test setup is already linked here.

There are no mods for xenforo that I am aware of.

Linked where? Somewhere deep within this 10-page thread? I can't find it easily.

Chuck S
November 18th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Yes its linked many times throughout this thread and even a few posts up just take the filenames off that url like 2 posts up ;)

jdougher
November 20th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Yes its linked many times throughout this thread and even a few posts up just take the filenames off that url like 2 posts up ;)

Omegatron.net? I logged in there and see nothing.

Do you guys really want to sell your product to xenforo forum owners? If so, make a thread with samples. Sell it!

Edit: Oh, I see it now. http://omegatron.net/photos/

Not too impressive, though! If you click on the Forums tab, there's no indication that a gallery exists anywhere. How are members supposed to know there's a gallery--and get to it?

Also, the formatting of that gallery is kinda messed up. Reduce the width of the browser window, and the gallery remains wide, while the forum shrinks. That doesn't look good.

Also, look at the text wrapping of the "Member Galleries" description. It looks horrible. The Last Comment column seems to be fixed width, or the text doesn't wrap, while the text in the Category column does.

Michael P
November 20th, 2011, 09:08 AM
If you click on the Forums tab, there's no indication that a gallery exists anywhere. How are members supposed to know there's a gallery--and get to it?

Chuck has a demo installed for development purposes only; he isn't using that as a gallery for his forum to post photos into.

Chuck S
November 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM
As Michael said that is merely a demo for testing purposes. It only supports user login and basic css style colors which is what we post on our site that we support. There are no advanced features like vbulletin.

jdougher
November 20th, 2011, 10:02 AM
As Michael said that is merely a demo for testing purposes. It only supports user login and basic css style colors which is what we post on our site that we support. There are no advanced features like vbulletin.

Okay, well, let us know in a significant way when you feel this is ready for xenforo. IMO, xenforo blows vBulletin 4.X out of the water in so many ways it's not funny.

So I'll be waiting for a usable version.

jdougher
November 20th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Just to add, ever since I saw vbulletin 4.X, and struggled with it, I went looking for other solutions. Xenforo is it. (No, I am not affiliated with them in any way.) I added links in my signature to two of my forums for comparison. Yes, photocamel is bigger, much bigger, but KMC (on Xenforo) is slicker. That's just a fact. It's more facebook-like, more modern. I'd like to get PhotoPost on KMC, but it's not ready. Please make it ready.

Chuck S
November 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM
This thread covers any points I have brought up about xenforo. All we can support with that product is user login and basic css integration.

There is no way to support the automatic displaying of the xenforo header footer like we do in vbulletin and I have brought up why many times here. In fact most of the integrations we do are user login and basic css integration to mock up a look. It would be up the the end user to create an html header footer to represent there forum. I simply did a quick mock up and that is all it is.

If the xenforo product matures and there are mods that show how to pull the xenforo header footer around a basic php page we will gladly update our product to support that.

jdougher
November 25th, 2011, 03:11 PM
This thread covers any points I have brought up about xenforo. All we can support with that product is user login and basic css integration.

There is no way to support the automatic displaying of the xenforo header footer like we do in vbulletin and I have brought up why many times here. In fact most of the integrations we do are user login and basic css integration to mock up a look. It would be up the the end user to create an html header footer to represent there forum. I simply did a quick mock up and that is all it is.

If the xenforo product matures and there are mods that show how to pull the xenforo header footer around a basic php page we will gladly update our product to support that.

If they haven't been forthcoming, maybe it's because they are planning to implement their own gallery system. Would be a pity, as yours is already there. Nevertheless, the xenforo software is awesome, and the users on the forum on which i've implemented it (http://kissmycamel.com/forum/) have said so repeatedly.

Chuck S
November 25th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Like I have said multiple times in this thread if the ability to load the xenforo header footer around external applications becomes available we have no problem looking into it

matusman
February 8th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Like I have said multiple times in this thread if the ability to load the xenforo header footer around external applications becomes available we have no problem looking into it

Chuck, have a look at Kotomi - Generic script bridge | XenForo Community (http://xenforo.com/community/resources/kotomi-generic-script-bridge.122/)

Kotomi - Generic script bridge

This is mainly intended for developer use. It lets you embed a non-XenForo/non-MVC script (just about any PHP script should work) into the XenForo page and use XenForo functions such as permissions while still accessing the script from a standard URL (the XenForo route system is pretty much disregarded).

So using this addon you can do a very basic integration of pretty much anything into XenForo - be it a blog, gallery, store, standalone script, etc. Probably even vBulletin if you wanted.

Chuck S
February 8th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Well we definately would not use someone else script but it could be used for ideas on how we could support using the xenforo header footer. However It is not available for download. Says download not available.

matusman
February 11th, 2012, 07:29 PM
However It is not available for download. Says download not available.Download is available to forum members or license holders. I am not sure which one though. Try to register on their forum.

Chuck S
February 11th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I am logged in that makes no difference but at any rate I am not a license holder.