PDA

View Full Version : New / Old user please help

gtiroc.com
June 24th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Hi

Problem = mass moving pictures from old Photopost gallery to newly installed gallery.

Our vB forum had a version of photopost installed on our server for sometime and forum users had uploaded over 2000 pictures to various folders/albums within that gallery. For various reasons our photopost license expired and the gallery stopped working for some years.
We renewed the license and had Chuck install the new version of photopost over the top of the old version (I assume the various new files replaced old ones) in the same directory on our server (I think).
Within the vB admin control panel I have configured the new installation and made various new categories and sub categories e.t.c for the members to upload there pictures too.
I want to sort through and redistribute all the old pictures into these various categories so I have also created an "old pictures" category thinking I would be able to upload all 2000 of the old pictures into this one category and then redistribute them from there.........

Thats where I come unstuck........via FTP, looking in the gallery folder I can see that an image uploaded to any category via the forum control panel ends up in file 1. So uploading all these old pictures via FTP from my PC to the server how can I specify and upload them to the "old pictures" category.

OR do I have to upload each "old picture" from my pc one by one via the admin control panel into there specific categories...

sorry for the long winded (probably nonsense) post :o

Steve

Chuck S
June 24th, 2010, 09:24 AM
What are you trying to do?

I cant see your site so not sure what your trying to say

GTiROC (http://www.gtiroc.com/gallery/index.php)

If this was an upgrade over a properly functioning gallery then your images should be there.

If this was an install on a broken gallery where you did not have the database in tact then you have a newly installed gallery. Only way to get images back is to reupload them via bulk upload. You can process directories of images via server path on upload page.

gtiroc.com
June 24th, 2010, 11:04 AM
What are you trying to do?

I cant see your site so not sure what your trying to say

GTiROC (http://www.gtiroc.com/gallery/index.php)

If this was an upgrade over a properly functioning gallery then your images should be there.

If this was an install on a broken gallery where you did not have the database in tact then you have a newly installed gallery. Only way to get images back is to reupload them via bulk upload. You can process directories of images via server path on upload page.

It was an install you did for me on a broken gallery.

If via FTP I look at the files and folders on my server I can see the gallery (there is also a gallery/files folder which does not open which wasn't there before the install ?) folder which is where i assume you installed the new software. In the gallery folder I can see 3 other folders ....files, images and users...in the files folder the are a seemingly never ending amount of numbered folders 0,1,2,3,4,5 e.t.c. each of those numbered folders contains more numbered folders and some of them contain some of the old images (i also have copies of all the images locally on my pc) I want to restore.......but i cannot see a way.

New test pictures I've uploaded via the gallery appear in /public_html/gallery/files/1 on the server but if I upload a picture via ftp to that address nothing appears in the forum gallery ???

Perhaps if you have the time you could have a look at my server via ftp and see if it all looks ok.....I have sent you an email with the attached FTP login details.

Sorry to be a bit stupid and thankyou for the support

Steve

Chuck S
June 24th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Steve

If this was a fresh install because you had a broken gallery and you want to add images you need to reupload all your images.

The files directories between the versions you cant simply upload and make photos appear. The images themselves need to be reuploaded via the program upload page.

gtiroc.com
June 24th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Ahh ok, I understand now.....

So the numerical file structure I mentioned that i can see on my server is partly the old file system from the old gallery software ?... Once the old images have been removed can i delete any of the numerical folders to tidy things up a bit or might it be better to leave them...?

Last question, where is the bulk upload option you mentioned ?

kind regards

Steve

Chuck S
June 24th, 2010, 12:08 PM
yes if this is new you can start over.

gtiroc.com
June 24th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Last question, where is the bulk upload option you mentioned ?

kind regards

Steve

Chuck S
June 24th, 2010, 08:11 PM
steve you can process a directory of images on your server via the bulk interface at the bottom of your server.

If your trying to upload lots of images on your computer to your gallery then use the flash uploader.