PDA

View Full Version : Photopost, what I think of it.

dbigras
May 25th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Hi there,

I'd like to share what I think of Photopost.

It is powerful, great for a Picture Gallery community, but it's way behind in Web technologies. It's far from today's Ajax, Jquery possibilities. I wish it was more up to date with today's Web standards.

I find it difficult to use because it's weak to modify the templates, the languages, the look. Nothing compared to Joomla, Wordpress, Vbulletin. And most of them are free products, and Photopost costs almost the same as Vbulletin.

If Photopost was free, I wouldn't complain, but since it's not, since it costs almost the same as Vbulletin, I was expecting the same kind of flexibility and power.

One thing that is great thought, is the support provided. Chuck is always there. That's great. But the product severely lacks in flexibility, so his answers are too often: 'No, it's not possible.'.

So, here are my suggestions for the future:

1- Hire a Functional Analyst, to design the product better from an end-user and admin perspective, so we can improve the way we can modify the look

2- Implement better technologies (Ajax, Jquery, Single-Signon, etc..)

3- Implement better integration (APIs to create modules, to connect with Facebook, Twitter, etc..)

With a better design, easier way to customize the look, up to date technologies and better integration, this product would kick ass even more.

You have a good foundation, a good customer base, good support. But I think it's time to look at the competition (not just related to VBulletin, but other Picture Galleries).

Comparison of photo gallery software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_photo_gallery_software)

Keep up the good work. I hope this constructive criticism will help.

Daniel

cherrycola
May 30th, 2010, 10:47 AM
You are correct this product is very much outdated...

skidpics
July 3rd, 2010, 10:11 PM
/likes the post

jdougher
July 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Agree with all your points.

South Fork
July 9th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Agreed.

wacnstac
July 13th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Facebook sharing of photos would be huge.

cory_booth
July 13th, 2010, 09:22 PM
The biggest downside I see is that fact that VB4 is already hyping a new revamped album's with 4.1.... If VB put just a bit more effort into categorizing the album into the forum format (as they could/should easily do) - I honestly would no longer need PP.

Not to mention there is a gentalman already able (for a price) to do face tagging in VB4 albums. So....

What would keep me onboard regardless of VB4? WAP support. VB has had terrible support of WAP devices and I don't anticipate a good WAP gallery anytime soon. So having photopost put out a WAP interface would be something to seriously consider.

CaddisNJF
August 26th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I also agree with all of your points including the one from "Wacnstac" regarding facebook sharing. This would be huge.

I've been a photopost customer for probably 7 years now. It's time to start feeling a bit more modern.