PDA

View Full Version : Help with ImageMagick Installation

carlosfandango
April 8th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Hi all,

I hope someone can help, in preparation for buying PP Classifieds I thought I'd set up my current VB4 forum to use ImageMagick instead of GD, which it has been using well for the last year.

I asked my hoster to install IM 6, which they have duly done, however, when I try to upload an image attachemnt to a post it fails... the progress bar moves as you'd expect, gets to 100% and the the error message is displayed:

There was an error encountered with your upload:

Imageinfo Failed:
PHP Error: Unspecified error in exec().

Obviously not directly related PP Classifieds but until I can resolve the ImageMagic thing to work with VB4 I can't be sure PP Classifieds is going to be able to use IM as well.

I am running on a Windows Server so Unix solutions are not gonna work for me and yes I could continue using GD but why settle for GD when you can have ImageMagic

Hope someone can help

Chuck S
April 8th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Well you would need to pass that error to your host. There is very little anyone could assist with on a windows server as you need backend access which of course only your host has. That looks like an issue with the php exec function. I do not find anything on the internet about that specific error.

1. They would install Imagemagick in a short directory like so

c:/imagemagick

2. Make sure your data and uploads directory as well as cmd.exe has READ WRITE EXECUTE permissions.

3. You can then try uploading. If you get permissions errors one last thing to try

4. You edit image-inc.php and change this line to NT

// set this to NT if the default doesnt work for you and you are running on an NT server
$OS = "any";

If all that fails then you might need to use GD2 because sometimes getting Imagemagick to work can be difficult. It is all permissions related.

carlosfandango
April 8th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Well you would need to pass that error to your host.
If all that fails then you might need to use GD2 because sometimes getting Imagemagick to work can be difficult. It is all permissions related.

Thanks Chuck,
I've forwarded your thoughts on to my hosts..... if there's no success then I gotta bite the bullet, reach for the moon and not the stars and go back to GD.

Many thanks for your quick reply

Regards

Carl

Chuck S
April 8th, 2010, 09:35 AM
No problem let me know how it goes.

carlosfandango
April 12th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your suggestions, which I passed to my host but alas they were not able to resolve the problem, even after running some suggested tests from the IM site. So, I have reverted back to GD and will have to use it until I pluck up more courage and time to try again.

So is there anything I need to be aware of before installing PPClassifieds under vB4 on a Windows server..... please be really basic with me as my brain is very small and overflows when complicated info is stuffed into it lol.

Will look to purchase tomorrow or Weds so a speedy response would be greatly appreciated.

Can you take a look at my Forum www.wewererhodesians.com/forum and I'd like to put a 'menu' button called 'Classfieds' in the vb navbar between 'Blogs' and 'Whats New'... I take it that'll be an easy one

TTFN

Carl

Chuck S
April 12th, 2010, 05:39 PM
The install for classifieds should be roughly the same as you did for your gallery so no surprises I would think

Did you say a classifieds navbar link for vb4 ;)

http://www.photopost.com/forum/1262281-post2.html

carlosfandango
April 13th, 2010, 02:04 AM
The install for classifieds should be roughly the same as you did for your gallery so no surprises I would think

Hi Chuck, I don't have any of your products yet so I can't refer to previous experiences with the gallery you mention

Did you say a classifieds navbar link for vb4 ;)

http://www.photopost.com/forum/1262281-post2.html

Yep, when I install PP CLassifieds I want to be able to put a button, say called 'Classifieds' on the vb4 navbar, I tried that link you sent but it doesn't tell me much as I'm not a customer yet.

Regards

Carl

Chuck S
April 13th, 2010, 08:08 AM
PhotoPost PHP Photo Sharing Photo Gallery Installation Guide (http://www.photopost.com/installphp.html)

well there are instructions for installation

as far as that link thats exactly what you want and you can grab that after you purchase.