PDA

View Full Version : vB 4.02 Compatability & Style

NashChristian
March 27th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Hello,

So just HOW compatible is this with vB 4.02? This has been the most blundered release probably in vB history. Are you guys really up to speed, on board, and fully integrated with that software?

I'm interested in purchasing your classifieds product, but after what I just went through with vB, I need to see a couple of sample sites running 4.0x in conjunction with your classifieds product. Do you have some samples you can show me?

Are your styles compliant with the new vB stylevars? Will the style of your product automatically integrate with my vB style with 4.02, or are your styles independant and require separate customization?

Does your search feature integrate seamlessly with the vB search now, or will your product need to be searched separately from the cms & forums?

How TIGHT is your integration? I really need to see this in action on a 4.0x board. Please list some live 4.0x samples.

I want to avoid stepping in the mud again.

Thanks! :D Jeff

Chuck S
March 27th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Well I cant tell you who is running what integration as that's information we don't have. Customers are required to submit a domain name with us they are running the software on just like vbulletin. We support 20 different integrations so I cant say who is running what.

I have a test setup here on my own site

Main Index - PhotoPost Classifieds (http://www.reeftalk.com/classifieds/)

We integrate as always with the vb login load the header footer and style. basically how we do the style now we load the vb style boxes around our stuff so things should work fine but if you asking if we use a completely tableless css design like the new vb and use every last vb stylevar that would be impossible to do in a couple month time frame. Not to say thats not something that would be looked at in the future as vb matures.

NashChristian
March 28th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Geez, that's disappointing. Not very attractive at all.

In some places, there is no left side padding for the text or images, in others the text looks jumbled.

Gosh, I was hoping for something much more attractive.

Thanks for the link.

Chuck S
March 28th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Actually for only having a couple months its not bad at all. Really for full style compatibility really a whole new template set needs to be coded and thats not going to happen quickly.

NashChristian
March 28th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Actually for only having a couple months its not bad at all. Really for full style compatibility really a whole new template set needs to be coded and thats not going to happen quickly.

I'm not trying to criticize your product. On older versions of vB, I really liked how it looked. This whole transition to vB4 has been a true nightmare! I think that the best advertisment for any competitor of vB currently, is vB's own support forums, where everyone is irate!

Anyhow, I just really need a classifieds module that is plug-n-play, and looks great. I'm still searching.

I'll keep an eye on you guys in the future, and see how this develops. I'd really like to see some active vB4 sites, full of content, and how that display looks using your product.

Good luck.

NashChristian
March 29th, 2010, 01:51 PM
You guys have cool photo handling, as well as a nifty zip code distance calculator, the text is the biggest thing that kills me.

Are you working on fixing the padding issues? Are there any plans to condense the directory view, to make it look more like a directory of classified categories and less like a long list of forum categories?

Since this is not your flag ship product, are much resources being devoted to developing it?

How big is the user base for this product?

Can you please advise me about what direction you are going with this product, and the anticipated timeline?

Thanks for your time.

Chuck S
March 29th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Thats alot of questions. ;)

I do not think your going to see any immediate changes. Templates are totally editable by users so they can change things to suit their tastes.

vbulletin 4 has been a total nightmare as you stated. They have literally had hundreds of bugs they have had to fix. We still are currently trying to get our last product vbGallery compatible with vb4.

All our products get due attention. I dont have an exact count or break down of who uses what product as this is our support forum. I can tell you we have over 30000 customers.

As far as directions we add features users request and add stuff we feel is needed as the product goes on. We just got out of a development cycle so there are no immediate plans for changes.

Right now its all about making sure all our products are compatible and maybe posting some vb4 plugins if we have time etc.

Timeline as you should be familiar with no one can tell you. That is an impossibility in the software field. I can say based on normal practices we try to have an least one major release and a couple minor ones per year per product.

Example in the past year there has been 2 major releases ( 3.1 and 4.0 ) and several minor releases.

NashChristian
March 29th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Templates are totally editable by users so they can change things to suit their tastes.

What does that mean? Are you saying we can manually edit the template code, or are you saying there are different layout/design themes which are options in the admincp, or ???

I would love to see a more polished sample, with category formatting, several items listed, icon images, multiple photos, etc... so I can get a true sense for what this product can do. Your sample site right now just looks like a blocky list of forums, and I can't envision what the current potential is for this product. :(

Thanks for your reply.

Chuck S
March 29th, 2010, 03:05 PM
what I mean by editing templates is all the html for our display is in the templates and you can edit accordingly to suit your needs if you dont like how it displays.

The application is what it is and how it was written just like vb or any other product. It may not have every feature you want even. I can show you a multiple photo example easy enough.

Test Ad - PhotoPost Classifieds (http://www.reeftalk.com/classifieds/accessories/p95-test-ad.html)

NashChristian
March 29th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks.

Hungh, the light box dims long AFTER the enlarged photo displays, wierd.

The padding issues really bother me / need to be fixed.

I do like your use of technology with the photos. Oh well, time for me to do more research I guess.

There are a lot less options with vB4. I wish vB would get their act together so the developer community would work on their products!

Thanks again for your time.

NashChristian
April 7th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Hey Chuck,

So the search engine friendly url's on your test site, like this (http://www.reeftalk.com/classifieds/live-goods/p96-bunnies-for-sale.html), are all created by a mod-rewrite with your classifieds product? And they don't conflict at all with any of the vB4 mod-rewrite rules? Are there any known issues with that aspect of the software?

Thanks.
Jeff

NashChristian
April 7th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Can you select NOT to display the children categories on the main classifieds page? For example, if I just want it to show:

For Sale
For Rent
Help Wanted
Services

On the main page, and then once you select a parent category like "For Sale", then you would see all the children categories available - is this a pre-configured option with your software?

Thanks!~

Chuck S
April 7th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Our SEO urls have nothing to do with vb and there ours have no conflicts with there's. Remember you place an htaccess file in the gallery directory to do the SEO urls and you do the same with vb so they have no interaction with one another.

Sure thats all set with the proper switches in admin for CATDEPTH.

Badger
April 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM
Although it's few weeks later in this thread and I'm running v4.03 of vBulletin, do I get the distinct impression that PhotoClassifieds isn't ready for commercial prime time?

I thought I'd better check "Before I Buy" ... ;)

Regards,
Badger

Chuck S
April 21st, 2010, 04:07 PM
what do you mean? Classifieds integrates with the vb header footer login just like it always has.

NashChristian
April 22nd, 2010, 04:56 AM
Although it's few weeks later in this thread and I'm running v4.03 of vBulletin, do I get the distinct impression that PhotoClassifieds isn't ready for commercial prime time?

I thought I'd better check "Before I Buy" ... ;)

Regards,
Badger

I did extensive research before purchasing PhotoPost Classifieds, and I DID purchase it. In short, they still offer the best FUNCTIONALITY, however the DISPLAY leaves MUCH to be desired! If you purchase the product, you will have NO choice but to recode the html, because it looks terrible! On many images there is NO padding, the display just looks like a long list of forums, you WILL want to customize it!

The programming side appears to be solid, but they definately NEED a designer to rework their product. It looks horrid out of the box!

I have yet to go live with it on my site, and this is largely why. I haven't had time to style the HTML myself, and I won't post it as it is.

I hope they address this in short order!

I can't find anything better though on the programming side. SEO friendly URLs... blah, blah, blah...

From where it once was though, it's slipping! :D Jeff

Michael P
April 22nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
We are looking into a designer for a revamp of the interface.

Chuck S
April 22nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Actually I have also found a way to get proper padding around things so once I can properly test things out I should be releasing new templates. Other than the padding issue the software properly picks up the correct vb colors and things display like it should. I dont beleive I had heard issues to the contrary here. Only issue was a padding issue with certain scripts not having text padded right.

Chuck S
April 22nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Nash please list your areas you think there is padding issues explicitly so I can make sure I am getting everything.

laidback64
April 23rd, 2010, 12:14 AM
Will the new templates you will be releasing fix the "Place an ad Page" text spacing issue?

Chuck S
April 23rd, 2010, 05:31 AM
You mean upload product page in classifieds yes.

Chuck S
April 23rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
NashChristian see any difference now ;)

Orange Fungia, Plate Coral- Aquacultured - ReefTalk Gallery (http://www.reeftalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1153)

Chuck S
April 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Nash you can actually redownload the build and reupload the vb4enhanced templates folder and see if that helps you with padding.

shakeme
April 30th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I agree with the comments about the templating and coding. Part of the problem with integration is the new vBulletin 4 changes. It is possibly the worst "upgrade" I have seen in a long time. With all the news about Internet Brands buying up forums on the cheap, you have to suspect whether they have something stuck in the code too. It's a terrible conflict of interest when a company looking to buy forums is also putting out the software.

Thanks guys for making the changes but I think that photopost should think of itself as more of a standalone product with login synchronization and template sync is just a bonus if it works.

Chuck S
April 30th, 2010, 09:33 PM
yeah the new style coding is a nightmare in vb4 that much I can definately say and this version has also have more bugs than in the history of vb.

NashChristian
May 14th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Sorry I've been out of the loop here. For some reason, I haven't been receiving notifications for posts to this thread. I don't know if this email came off my spam whitelist, or what happened!?!

Dang, I would have liked to have given some feedback before you got this all done. Oh well.

I'll have to check it out and see where you are at.

Thanks for improving this!
:) Jeff

NashChristian
May 14th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Couple of quick observations, if your test site (http://www.reeftalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=102&title=testing-editor&cat=2) is current with the new version:

First let me say, that it looks a LOT better!

Couple of padding issues still:

If you have a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 (which a lot of people still use), it pushes the user info and avatar, flush against the main image without any padding.

The two images at the bottom of the page, on your camera test thread, have no bottom padding.

I would be interested in seeing how the padding is handled when you have multiple images in one post, and how the display looks when on a smaller resolution screen like a 1024 x 768.

It still bothers me a little that the display dims significantly AFTER the image is enlarged.

It looks like the "Recent Comments" block on the main category display is still jacked-up, with the image on top of the text.

"[For Sale -> Dry Good's]" doesn't seem to have any left padding.

It's getting better, but there is still room for improvement. :D

I would really love to see you redesign the main category interface, to look more like THIS (http://nashvillechristian.com/images/support/classified_categories.jpg).

That list is a lot tighter, and more attractive in my opion. I really dislike the big blocky forum list look. Every other page is fine, but just that category list... yuck!

Anyhow, that's my $.02, and you probably want to give me $.05 back!

:D Jeff

Chuck S
May 14th, 2010, 08:12 AM
The display dims because thats how that enlarge javascript works simply close the window to get the main page current.

As far as any other padding issues I would have to look at each one directly. As stated by you I got most of them but its a work in progress.

NashChristian
May 14th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Hey Chuck,

I understand WHY the page dims. My issue with it, is the sequence. For some reason, there is a DELAY after the image is enlarged, before the page dims. Most image viewers I've seen, work the other way around, where the page dims THEN the image is enlarged. This just seems backwards to me.

As far as the padding, do you want me to provide screen shots to illustrate? Or can you see what I'm talking about?

Also, can you post multiple images on one of the posts again (like you did previously - I'm not sure what happened to that) so we can see how it displays?

Thanks for working on this! I'm glad I don't have to try to restyle the whole thing myself. (I still haven't tried to install this, because I expected it to need SO MUCH work.)

What do you think about that condensed display I showed you?

NashChristian
May 14th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I agree with the comments about the templating and coding. Part of the problem with integration is the new vBulletin 4 changes. It is possibly the worst "upgrade" I have seen in a long time. With all the news about Internet Brands buying up forums on the cheap, you have to suspect whether they have something stuck in the code too. It's a terrible conflict of interest when a company looking to buy forums is also putting out the software.

I TOTALLY agree that vB4 has been a complete train wreck! With that said, we still must move forward. :D

Chuck S
May 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Jeff

I can look at any padding issues if I have questions I will let you know.

As far as any category display change I am not opposed to new features at all ;) However with that said I do not think you will see anything like that before I start a new version as thats when I usually work on major additions. If you look at the classifieds announcements versus the gallery you will see I tend to throw in alot of new features and changes users want so my releases tend to be quite huge.

Welshy2010
May 16th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Hello Guys,

For a few years I have been using (currently still do) vBclassified. I must say that I do like it and its simple and effective layout etc.

I have two options.

1. Pay a coder to port it to vB 4.0.X for me or
2. Buy other software (Such as yours).

I have had a look at yours, but I would like to see AdminCP screenshots (And of the stages of adding an Auction and buy it now items - through the screens a user would see).

I have also registered on your testsite and placed a bid to see it in action (Auction). I would like to see it slightly tweeked as standard.

I have indicated these by the red boxes in image 1, attached.

I personalise my "Classified" to the name of my auctions.

I am looking for three sections in one.

1. Auctions
2. Buy It Now (with a Buy It Now button - Which I didn't see on yours.
3. Free Items.

** To PP staff - if you would like to see my vBclassifieds as it is currently (3.8.X) I will PM you a link.

On the Buy It Now Listing (Camera) I cannot see a "Buy It Now" button. Also - I would like to see the Product options drop down - taken from there and added, as standard, in with the seller details or have its own section near that.

Can I, as an Admin, list as a Member - by entering a user number?

Have the user got the option of selecting an automatic relist until sold. (If it ends without a winner)?

That's enough for now - I will gauge your responses before asking more and before I consider buying it.

Many Thanks,
Welshy2010.

Welshy2010
May 16th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Why do I not have permission to view my own attachment?

Welshy2010
May 16th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I also don't see a Button to allow/send a "Best Offer".

Welshy2010
May 16th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I would like to see the Categories in a "Left Hand Column" and the actual listings where your "Categoreies" are now. (On the right).

That would be great! :p

Welshy2010
May 16th, 2010, 06:48 AM
One more thing. Have I got the option to do away with the charging for the Classifieds?

I do not charge my members to use it.

Welshy2010
May 16th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I have just done a test listing - I had to pay to do that - So I would appreciate a refund of that. ;)

I selected "Britain Pound" which should be British Pound or GBP.

It didn't show - It showed as $

and I also added Pics - but not one have shown.

It states on the listing "Asking Price" - that is not my asking price though. (I notice that it is either or -in a case of "Asking Price OR Best Offer" and not BOTH - Is it possible for both?

I have put a reserve on it, but there is no mention of "Reserve Not Met" - There is no mention of how much the Buy It now is (Even though I can now see the Buy It Now" button.

There is no listing end date - even though I selected 7 days.

I would like to see the Item Description, City, State and Keywords seperated like the Quantity and asking price etc.

I think you have a great product here - with improvements (I understand that it is in its early stages and that you can't please all people, all of the time).

Welshy2010
May 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Sorry to be a pain here - but I just want to be 100% certain before I even buy it.

Do I have the ability to add exta fields? IE: I want to add a field for Payments accepted and would like to do this in the forum of multiple choice. For example: Paypal, Cash on collection, Cheque (check in the USA) other etc.

I would like a field for postage (Shipping in the USA) and I want to add chioces myself, and the user can select their choice via a drop down menu.

I would also like these to show under the title and picture in the listing shown how I would like it in the Attachment "Category1" below, (I don't want the descritption showing there). - I have shrunk the info I would like shown - to fit in the area, the background dolour won't be the same as my example - but would be the same (White) as used in your software.

Also, Maybe remove the "Distance" from the category listing (If that is the correct name - Again, shown in the Attachment) and replace it with "Paypal" and then a small pp Image if that is accepted? Like the PP attached below.

Many Thanks.

I would like to see the "Item Ends Date" on all listings and this to be shown instead of "Date" on the listings page. (Also seen in attachment)

Welshy2010
May 16th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I would like to see the categories and listings displayed as one on the main page (as in my attachment) - would this be possible please?

Many Thanks.

Chuck S
May 16th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Well your free to tweak the application code if you wish so on any tweaking aspect that would be the normal responce from a company because just like vb our software is released as it is coded.

I am more than happy to answer specific questions on the normal operation of the default code.

I can tell you payment accepted is done via the payment selection you set in admin. Most people use paypal. Remember payment via a buyer and seller can be done via paypal otherwise like most sites it is handled between them. Now payment to you can be done as noted in our release notes through most of the payment providers vb allows like authorize.net worldpay moneybookers and paypal.

You can add unlimited additional fields to ask specific stuff about an ad via the category admin.

The user can place a shipment price on an ad as well as an ad price. They can allow buy it now or not.

Welshy2010
May 16th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Chuck - Have you got any screenshots that I can view Please? (AdminCP etc).

Welshy2010
May 16th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Also, Why am I not able to view attachments?

Chuck S
May 16th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I beleive viewing attachments may be because in the support forums it may be locked that you cant view attachments unless a customer.

here are a few admin shots.

If you have specific things to view let me know. I attached main screen,global options,main cat view and edit cat screens.

Welshy2010
May 16th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I beleive viewing attachments may be because in the support forums it may be locked that you cant view attachments unless a customer.

here are a few admin shots.

If you have specific things to view let me know. I attached main screen,global options,main cat view and edit cat screens.

Can't view them Mate.

Chuck S
May 16th, 2010, 10:56 AM
see if you can view them now

Welshy2010
May 16th, 2010, 11:08 AM
see if you can view them now

Yes Thanks, Chuck.

Chuck S
May 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM
no problem

NashChristian
May 20th, 2010, 07:41 AM
You thought I was tough... ;)

Hey Chuck, how about a sample classifed with multiple images uploaded?

Thanks!

Chuck S
May 20th, 2010, 07:43 AM
You own the program you know how it looks with multiple images uploaded. I am not following

NashChristian
May 20th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I haven't installed it yet, so I can't test it locally yet.

There were several issues with padding and positioning with multiple images. They were right against each other (no padding), and even overlapped each other on smaller resolution screens.

Since you fixed a lot of the padding issues, I have not seen an example, to see if these issues were corrected or not.

Just a point of concern. You said before that it just took a second to throw up a few more images. ???

Thanks!

Chuck S
May 20th, 2010, 02:31 PM
auction - PhotoPost Classifieds (http://www.reeftalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=94)

looks fine to me

NashChristian
May 21st, 2010, 09:14 AM
auction - PhotoPost Classifieds (http://www.reeftalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=94)

looks fine to me

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

It looks fine on a WIDE SCREEN monitor, but on a 1024 x 768 pixel monitor (which are still very common), NOT so great. At least now the images don't overlap, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Let me share with you my observations:

Screen Shot #1 (attached): There is no dynamic image resizer, so on narrower screens it first sucks all the padding out of the images, then it breaks the page at the point where there is no padding left and the images are still wider than the set width of the page.

Screen Shot #2 (attached):

"High Bid" is not centered with the text above.
The "Auction Ends" (and the 3 lines below it) are not centered with the distance and mileage above it.
The "Bid On This Item" box is BROKEN on the right side.
The thumbnail at the bottom has no bottom padding.

Screen Shot #3 (attached): For some reason, after the main post has broken the page (by being too wide), every post thereafter continues to break the page without any apparent need. (Notice that both the "Quick Reply" and the "Comments" blocks extend beyond the set page width.

Hopefully you can get some more of these issues fixed. You're definately headed in the RIGHT direction!

Thanks for working on this!
:D Jeff

Chuck S
May 21st, 2010, 11:08 AM
well you cant have spacing for when there is none thats your issue. Most monitors now adays are 19inch and above. The default screen is alot higher than 1024x768

If one sets there thumbnail sizes to say 75pixels and preview size to 250 where as before mine were 100 and 450pixels you have room

auction - PhotoPost Classifieds (http://www.reeftalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=94&title=auction&cat=2)

You see what I mean now. You can not shove 1400 pixels worth of information in a 1024pixel wide window. It is never going to happen.

Making the few little changes I made in configuration settings padding is fine when I view at 1024x768

Of course thats a trade off because now viewing my site everything is much smaller.

This is a very common issue in configuration most people overlook especially when your talking images. For example you where trying to view my site and expect padding for how I had it set up. I personally do not consider viewers with 1024x768 anymore since thats the lowest possible resolution on a monitor. 1440 I think is the lowest most people go nowadays. Anyway the clear explanation on 1024 is simple. The images alone on the width of the page where 850 pixels. Thats not counting tables and everything else. Your own images showed how the actual width broke out of your 1024 width to render. The information will be compressed as much as it can to display in that spacing which is why you saw no padding but still it could not get it all in there which is why it broke the width

NashChristian
May 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Chuck,

I totally understand that smaller images is NOT the goal. I think the BEST solution (though probably not the simplest) would be some sort of dynamic image resizer. Short of that, I don't know of a solution without breaking the page. That doesn't mean that the page needs to KEEP breaking, for every post thereafter though.

Still, I pointed out several other minor issues, which have no relationship to screen resolution, that could be fixed.

Chuck S
May 21st, 2010, 02:03 PM
Jeff the things I can fix I can fix. A dynamic image resizer well that does not exist to my knowledge but a nice idea none the less.