View Full Version : VBGallery Update?

January 25th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I have been without VBGallery since December, and my users are getting restless. I read a post where you said it would be another week or two, but the sooner the better. I installed Photopost on the site, but it just does not look as good or integrate as well as VBGallery. This is just a short note to let you know we are patiently waiting...

Chuck S
January 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Yes thanks we will keep you updated. I beleive alot of issues have arisen since December. vbulletin released 4.01 with over 200 bug fixes and plan to release 4.02 soon with another 100 fixes.

The problem is that with all those fixes there is alot of template fixed and css fixes and since vbgallery is so tied into vb then we need to go back and recode what was already done to fix any previous work so that it works with the fixed code.

January 25th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Roger that Chuck... :)

Chuck S
January 25th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I know Michael has said soon I will see if I can get an update

February 22nd, 2010, 06:01 PM
Go Michael !! .... Hello Chuck :)

Chuck S
February 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hey Zach how is it going

February 22nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Also waiting for an update :D

February 23rd, 2010, 06:16 AM
Go Michael !! .... Hello Chuck :)

Nice to see you here again Zach.

February 24th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Chuck - An update would be nice on when vBulletin Gallery will BETA for vB4. This is the last script that I am waiting on to start BETA testing with vB4.

Chuck S
February 24th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Michael has said he will make a public announcement when a beta is ready.

February 24th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Doing good, moved to a new place.
(only 5 miles from the old place, but 900 feet higher).

- having fun doing updates to hacks for VB4.0
- working on newsletters, websites, and service projects with local Kiwanis.
- trying to keep out of the rain :D

Not a lot other than that.

Hello Ramses !!!!!! , good to see ya Sir.

Chuck S
February 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Thats good glad to hear it.

Michael P
February 24th, 2010, 07:34 PM
4.02 had few changes than 4.01; getting close. I'll try to have a better update for you tomorrow.

February 24th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Awesome, thanks! :)

February 26th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Awesome news! I would very much like to get that back online. :D

Chuck S
February 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Yep its getting near time for a beta it seems

Chris Lang
February 28th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Will the beta be open to all active licenses? or will it be only available to certain testers?

Chuck S
February 28th, 2010, 09:39 PM
The beta would be open like any of our betas downloadable by active members access license holders.

February 28th, 2010, 09:40 PM
4.02 had few changes than 4.01; getting close. I'll try to have a better update for you tomorrow.
Was the update posted some place I might have missed?

Chuck S
February 28th, 2010, 11:18 PM
The beta has not been released yet. As Michael posted above we are getting close.

March 6th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Honestly now, when will the fix for VBulletin 4.0 be released? My gallery has been down for months now, and I would like to get it operational. I have been very patient, but we are getting beyond the point of reasonableness now.

Thanks in advance for your response

Chuck S
March 6th, 2010, 07:09 AM
As with any software release there is no definitive date we can set. Given how vbgallery uses the new template system in vb the application had to be rewritten from the ground up. Every time vbulletin released a fix vbgallery had to be rewritten because everything we did to make it work had to be recoded. 4.02 has been out a couple weeks now and things look promising.

I would say most likely within a week or two. For instance I know they have the bulk of the work done and they even have an xml file with sql upgrades etc. However at this point there is no new install/upgrade script that makes everything automated for users to upgrade. This for instance would be a must before any type of public beta is opened.

Once the public beta is opened your most likely looking at a month or two of testing and bug fixing till a GOLD release.

March 6th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the update Chuck.

This whole vB4.x "upgrade/improvement" has been quite a ride so far, with the COMPLETE rewrite of soo much of the software.

I, too, am dependent upon vBGallery prior to bringing my production site up to vB4, along with a number of other external software dependencies. Being an I.T. professional, I understood this risk with each add-on/plug-in that I added to the board.

Again, the update is appreciated, and thanks for the great product.

Chuck S
March 6th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Yeah as a long time vbulletin customer and a developer I definately think they need to rethink there policies and go back to the way things use to be. They rushed vb way too much this time with way too many bugs in the gold release. 300 plus bugs to fix in a gold version within 45 days is unreal. To top it off developers did not have much time with the code to make compatible releases. Having 45 days with the new code before it went gold was not enough time.

Max Paint
March 7th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Btw: Will there be any new feature? Or is it "just" a versionupdate?

March 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I am very disappointed with the support and communication from photopost concerning the status of vbgallery. We have been given the 'beta will be available in a few weeks' a couple of times now, and everytime WE have to find out what the status is?

You've got our emailadresses as customers, is it that hard to keep US updated?

I haven't been able to use the vbgallery since I've upgraded to vb4.0 (not that weird, since that software is the basis of our online community). But in the meantime my license of vbgallery is ticking away without getting the proper support.

March 7th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Everyone is disappointed, upset, angry, etc..., yet, how many understand what has changed in vB4? How many understand the UNREAL number of bugs and defects that existed at 4.0 release, and how many still exist after 4.0.2. Due to the complexity of the template re-engineering and overall markup language, this was not an "upgrade" of vB, rather, it is the equivalent of a completely new product that was, in my opinion, rushed to market, and still isn't ready for prime time.

Believe me, I want to get the upgrade done as well on my site, and others I admin for, however, I will not do it until EVERYTHING is in order and ALL requirements are met. Currently, they are not, that is part of software engineering and development.

If ANY board has dependencies on other software to be compatible, then the upgrade should NEVER occur until all external dependencies are resolved (requirements gathering and solution design 101).

If the upgrade is performed, then that was performed at the risk of the board owner/admin, and any interruption to functions offered are the sole fault of the person who decided to do the upgrade, without all dependencies in order.

Could communications be better? Sure.

How many board owners are software developers or long term I.T. professionals? I am sure only a small percentage are (I am one of the aforementioned long term I.T. persons, for over 20 years).

Like any MAJOR upgrade or NEW product, peripheral software is always playing catch-up. This is a simple fact of the business. Look at the big boys in this business, Microsoft, Sun Microsystems, HP...when they come up to a new product and/or Operating System version, it takes months to a year in many cases for software manufacturers to catch up, or in some cases, give up.

If it is all that critical, convert to PhotoPost Pro and resolve your dilemma that way, as it integrates with vB4, without being tied into the templating system and your core vB database. Easy solution, that may cost you some $$$, but if this is soo critical to your board, and you chose to upgrade knowing vBGallery (and many other products/plug-ins/mods) was nowhere near ready, then who is really to blame for your current state?

My 3.8.x boards are all running fine, just as they were before, with my members all happy...patience is a virtue in this business, and the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies in spades relative to the vB4 "upgrade".

OK, I'm done...


Chuck S
March 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Thank You for your comments Possum not everyone understands the complexity of what goes on in the software world. ;) very well laid out post.

March 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Hmm... either way, is not a bad idea to send a newsletter to customers, as I said once, sometimes it is hard to know if there is actually a development in vbGallery, mainly because almost eveything we read in the forums is Photopost oriented.

I'm just waiting for a beta to renew, don't take me wrong, I love the product, but I feel uncomfortable ginving money and feeling i get not as much as expected in return. :(

Chuck S
March 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Once we have a compatible version we will email our customers.

March 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks Chuck :)

March 11th, 2010, 07:02 PM
cool iam waiting for this thanks chuck & co

Michael P
March 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM