PDA

View Full Version : Competitions within PhotoPost

Peter_AUS
November 9th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I have read several posts regarding the Competitions but doesn't cover what I want to know.

I currently run a photography site, which has multiple competitions over the year, set subject and open each month and 3 monthly creative competition. Current software for the competitions allows for each member to vote for 5 images, voting counts the same towards each image. I have read that voting with PhotoPost is one vote for each member, is this a fixed voting system or can it be changed to allow say 5 votes only one though per image ?

Also is there a way to import from gallery 2 software, I noticed you have one for Coppermine ?

Thanks,

I am not a current PhotoPost Purchaser, but thinking about it.

Peter

Chuck S
November 9th, 2009, 07:15 PM
This is fixed. If you want to do something different then you would need to modify your code in some way. Users can vote in a contest once.

Peter_AUS
November 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks Chuck,

Is the code for voting in a module within the photopost, therefore can be changed to suit if needed ?

As someone that runs a fairly large website competition variations is what Administrators, look for on a website software. It is one of the most sort after features of gallery type software. The software I currently run has been hacked to do this specifically as no other software has that ability to do so, it can be adjusted in the theme area for the gallery as well, without then changing any further coding. Go up or down as needed.

I think you have most of the other bits, hidden submissions, owners of images not being displayed until winner announced.

The other bit we have is the ability for judges comments to be posted without the members knowing until after the competition is finalised. They can vote at the same time that the judges are deciding on winners and awards, commenting etc, neither sees the others results.

Also there is a change we put in place to be able to see the Voting of members, with IP displayed in a list form to ensure that there was no colluding with voting by members having more than one membership on same IP.

Is there anything in the competition side of things that can do this ??

Thank,

Peter

Chuck S
November 9th, 2009, 08:29 PM
The code is right in the showgallery files and our code is not encrypted so you can change it if you wish. There is no overall list to show users and ip's but our code as it is coded has lots of checks based in IP username etc to make sure the user can only vote once.

Like any software you can find software that has alot of what you want but not everything ;)

Peter_AUS
November 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Chuck,

Yes understand that point very well. Finding anything that works 100% as wanted is never going to happen. Reason I asked was to know how much needs to be changed to see if it is worth all the effort to do so, based on what is currently being used.

At present I am using three different software on the site, would prefer to use all integrated, as members have to log in to three areas on the site, which frustrates them and also me.

As vBulletin is bring out their vBulletin Suite 4 soon in Beta release for members, I was starting to look for an option to the gallery software I currently use to use with vBulletin. I know photopost would need to be changed to meet the vBulletin environment, but have to start looking first to decide on what to do.

A friend uses your photopost software hence why he suggested it and also to ask questions as well.

So basically you are OK with small changes in the code to suit the members requirements being done ?

Thanks,

Peter

Peter_AUS
November 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Hi Sesuna,

Thanks for that. Just to be clear, you can set the current software to allow each member to have 5 votes, one vote for 5 different images, you don't need to change any codeing at all ??

I run my site on a disability pension, so spending $150Aus to find out that it doesn't do what I would like it to do, would mean loosing a whole fortnights pension. Getting refunds for software purchased on the internet at times can be a nightmare, already had to do that a couple of times, successful with one, don't even get an answer back from the other one.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter_AUS
November 10th, 2009, 04:57 AM
What is the difference between Photopost Pro and Photopost VBGallery ?

Are they one in the same, are they two totally different products?

The cost does it cover both products and you get to chose which one you want to you?

Thanks,

Peter

Chuck S
November 10th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Peter

Sesuna was a spam bot.

Thanks for that. Just to be clear, you can set the current software to allow each member to have 5 votes, one vote for 5 different images, you don't need to change any codeing at all ??

Not you can not do that. As previously stated the photopost software is setup to allow a member to vote on ONE photo in a contest they do not get 5 votes. I do beleive some of our discussion above talks about you wanting to modify the code to do what you want and asked us if it was encrypted.

Peter_AUS
November 10th, 2009, 05:31 AM
No I asked if it was changeable. I have ascertained that is is.

What is the difference between Photopost Pro and VB Gallery ? See above post #7.

I thought there was something fishy about that Sensuna post.

Peter

Chuck S
November 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM

That post in number 7 definately did not sound like you understand what I wrote. There is no setting to change it I stated that the software is configured to work as written one vote on one image in a contest category. If you want it to work some other way you would have to change code yourself.

Pro and vbGallery are both gallery products. vbGallery is a addon to the vbulletin gallery software. Both work with vbulletin

here is a comparison thread

PhotoPost PHP Photo Sharing Photo Gallery: Pro vs. vBGallery (http://www.photopost.com/compare.html)

Peter_AUS
November 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Chuck,

I did understand your post, the other bot post through up the doubt, you clarified that, I directed you back to post 7 to get the answer to the other questions. Thank you for your information. Support attitude is a bit questionable though. At this stage won't be buying your product.

You can close the thread.

Chuck S
November 10th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Okay have a good evening.