PDA

View Full Version : What about VBB new pricing policy

iloco
October 13th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I got email today from VBB stating a new way of keeping it updated starting with Version 4.
What do you think of this new policy.

I think I am done with VBB and if so will use my Photopost Pro as a stand alone for my pictures I want to upload and show....

Chuck S
October 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Well they have that right I guess and its not like its new news. Company wise we hold no opinion on another companies pricing structure. We as always are going to offer the best possible software and features for our customers no matter what. We will continue to support all forums we currently support provided we can obtain access to the code structure.

bipolar
October 14th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Well they have that right I guess and its not like its new news. Company wise we hold no opinion on another companies pricing structure. We as always are going to offer the best possible software and features for our customers no matter what. We will continue to support all forums we currently support provided we can obtain access to the code structure.

I agree Chuck, However the new Version 4 is a complete CMS which makes your add on and several other plug-ins obsolete !

I Just bought a photopost license, and I also bought the pre-sale VB 4
the reason is that I am keeping my forum at its current version 3.8 even after the VB 4 gold release, and I will just use my new license of VB4 for another project.

I'm just hoping that you keep support and updates of PhotoPost for forum owners like myself who will keep their old VB3.

I am saying this because VB cannot force people to upgrade to 4 if they don't want to.
Your thoughts about this?

Chuck S
October 14th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I agree Chuck, However the new Version 4 is a complete CMS which makes your add on and several other plug-ins obsolete !

I dont believe it makes our program obselete. First off Photopost Pro is not a plugin. It is a gallery that can integrate with 18 separate forums or be a standalone. vbGallery would be considered a plugin.

Now here is my opinion

vbulletin 4 will not contain a gallery product. There suite will be there forum product there blogging product both of which they already have and a new CMS. if any products will be obselete it will be vbPortal or vbAdvanced CMS.

iloco
October 15th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I found today that I have phpbb as a free forum I can use. It comes with my package I have with my host server.

Will I have any problems getting Photopost Pro to work if I switch from vbb to phpbb.
Will I be able to show pictures on the forum page of phpbb as its done here on your Vbb install. I have mine like this with Vbb now.

I didn't mean to start a problem thread so please delete if you think it should be removed.

Chuck S
October 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM
You can not really switch to phpbb unless you write some script to import your vbulletin users into phpbb. Then you could switch to phpbb sure but you need to overcome that obstacle. I know vb has there impex script which imports stuff from many many forums but I dont know whether phpbb has something similar.

There is no block within our software made to show photos in phpbb.

iloco
October 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I hadn't thought about the data base when asking my question.
phpbb does have a converter but I will have to do some more reading up on it.
Maybe by the time my vbb 3.8.4 is no longer able to run on my site you may have an option to display thumbnails on a phpbb forum page. :)

Thanks Chuck for your answers even though most were not Photopost related.

Chuck S
October 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Glad to assist.

rdimaggio
December 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I renewed my license and paid for the entire vB suite ver. 4.0 and I think it was around $210 total, however I have no plans on upgrading to 4.0 any time soon.

Chuck S
December 26th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Yeah I did that like $130 buck thing and got the whole suite and I am running it mostly so I could write the integrations otherwise I would have waited.

rdimaggio
December 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah I did that like $130 buck thing and got the whole suite and I am running it mostly so I could write the integrations otherwise I would have waited.

I should have jumped on that pre-sale thing, the only reason I upgraded is I knew once 4.0 was final they would no longer support 3.6.x and I would have to upgrade, but probably just to 3.8.x as I am not ready for 4.0, way too many changes for me to handle right now, and honestly I don't even like the new look at this point.

Chuck S
December 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Ah see I like the new look personally ;) I hated the old vb look