PDA

View Full Version : vbulletin4.0

CBBF
June 3rd, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'm considering buying photopost. Will it be upgraded to work with vb4.0 since it'll be out soon?

If so, how soon after do you plan on getting the upgrade done?

Chuck S
June 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
To my knowledge vbulletin 4.0 is a ways off and only if they release a public beta would we be able to integrate before they go gold. If they stick to no public beta then it will mean that once they go gold we would then have to work on an integration so we will support it but we can not say when until vbulletin releases more info.

CBBF
June 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
I'm a little confused on how it works.

I am looking to have about 5 sections of my forum use photopost. The rest would just be a regular vbulletin forum. The pics from those 5 forums should show up on the forumhome as most recent and randoms. Maybe even most popular. Will the product do that? Anywhere I can test it? I went to the demo and it seems everything is just posting pictures and no sections for discussion only.

Chuck S
June 3rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
The product can show recent or random images on the forumhome there is a plugin for that.

However the forum and gallery are two separate products. I think you will find this with all products.

You can use this site as an example you see the forums and you see the photo block now click a photo or click the gallery link in the navbar you will go to the gallery it is a separate part of the site.

CBBF
June 3rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Ok, I'm getting the jist of it. By looking at the url, you have the forum installed under /forum/ and photopost installed under /photopost/.

Now my million dollar question. When I look at photopost stanalone, It kind of looks like vbulletin. That's good as I have vb. But what I want to know is can I integrate it together. In other words, the specific 5 forums to be photopost and the rest to be vb, but on the same page (which is forumhome).

hornstar6969
June 4th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Vbulletin have started to send out private alpha tester invites. vbseo was accepted. If you have not had your invite yet, then I suggest you contact vbulletin and put in some word so you can become private alpha/beta testers as vbulletin plan to have a wide range of 3rd party developers to be apart of the alpha/beta test. If you are seriously keen on impressing your customers then I am sure you will put forward to vbulletin a request to be apart of it.

Chuck S
June 4th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I can try that but vbulletin has never been too responsive to us in the past.

0ptima
June 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I can try that but vbulletin has never been too responsive to us in the past.

So did they grant you access to the alpha testing?

Chuck S
June 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
There alpha testing was full from what I saw. I did sent a private message a few weeks ago to the guy ray morgan like the thread on there forums suggests here but no response so who knows.

vBulletin 4.0 Alpha and Beta testing - vBulletin Community Forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311075)

I am not expecting a gold release of 4.0 anytime soon. They dont expect the first release alpha till maybe first week of august at the soonest. Then beta would come after that. Your most likely looking at the soonest maybe Christmas or 1st quarter next year so hopefully vbulletin will respond to us in some manner.

cellarius
June 26th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I am not expecting a gold release of 4.0 anytime soon.
It was just announced they are targeting August for gold release atm.
They dont expect the first release alpha till maybe first week of august at the soonest.
Where does your information come from? Ray just stated otherwise, and he should know.
Then beta would come after that. Your most likely looking at the soonest maybe Christmas or 1st quarter next year
What is the gain from starting or fueling such rumor :confused:
You should take into account that there won't be that much time for adapting Photopost.

Chuck S
June 26th, 2009, 06:33 AM
By way of dev update, there are two major tasks remaining before we release the vB Forums for alpha testing:

vB4 Development Update - vBulletin Community Forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1753927#post1753927)

Thats not how I read that post. They have NOT even released an alpha from what I am seeing. At any rate I doubt they can release a gold software in less than 45 days with proper testing. Remember vbulletin normally takes a year or more to produce a gold package. The whole email is prefaced with the statement I quoted above so he is saying the first alpha will be released before Q2. Thats the true statement. All those points are below the pre alpha release statements ;)

At any rate back to the topic at hand. If they do not respond to our request for beta participation and there is no public beta then an integration can not happen till we get the final code to look at. There is no timeline of how long that could be till they finish and no time line on when we would get done anything we need to get done. There may be no timeframe to get things working or there could be alot of time involved.

CavySpirit
October 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Chuck,

Given the activities on vB4 at the moment, can we get an update on what to expect from PhotoPost?

I'll definitely be moving my main site to the new Suite, because I need to. I've been needing an integrated CMS solution with the forum for years now and am very anxious to get on with it.

But the PhotoPost Gallery is also mission critical to my site. I have over 11,000 photos and over 46,000 comments.

But part of what I would really like is for the photopost UI to be more integrated with the vB template. While I've tried to get them as close as possible, it hasn't been as good as I would have liked. And now, vB4 has an entirely new, proprietary templating system.

So, while I'm anxious to move to the new platform as soon as vB4 CMS is out--which COULD be next month (I'm assuming certainly within the next 3 months)--since you haven't been involved in the Alpha and from the sounds of the posts about this, you haven't been able to make any progress with them, what are your expectations? Given a few different assumptions about access, what are your worst case, likely case, best case scenarios for us customers of PP regarding timing of vB4 and compatibility?

Thanks.

Chuck S
October 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Photopost will not be compatible with vbulletin 4.0 till we can even look at it. They are in the early alpha stages based on there notes on there site. We are on the beta list of developers to obtain copies so we will not know anything till then. We should support vb 4.0 when it goes gold which should not be for quite some time.

I think what they are doing now is preselling licenses. I dont see how they can jump from an early alpha to a gold release by months end. ;)

Powerboat
October 15th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Hi there ,

Any update on compatibility????????????

Vbulletin have put a gun to our heads to pay big money and upgrade to VB4 or else:mad:.

If there is no compatibility between Photopost and VB 4 then we are all going to have to decide which product to dump and replace:mad:

When we ask at VB, they say it is none of their business and to ask Photopost.

A similar situation arises for users of VBSEO.

Any feedback from Photopost? I need to know as I am about to add a classifieds feature to another of my VB Forums.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Chuck S
October 15th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Read my last post please right above yours. I dont know why your posting that Stuart when I answered it already.

Powerboat
October 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Read my last post please right above yours. I dont know why your posting that Stuart when I answered it already.

Hi Chuck,

My post should actually have been post no 12 in this thread!!;)

I had prepared my post last night at which stage the last post in this thread had been made in June.

Our broad band crashed last night preventing me sending it. I logged in and sent it quickly this morning without looking at the forums assuming that as the last post had been made in June.......:rolleyes:

How was I to know that after a 5 month gap in this thread, 3 of us would all decide to reopen it within hours !:):o:):).

I was about to purchase 5 new VBulletin licences today and 2 new Photopost licences for 2 of my 5 new websites.

Looks like I'll have to postpone all purchases now for a few months because of the uncertainty:(

Sorry again for the mix up. The post was made in good faith.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Chuck S
October 15th, 2009, 09:22 AM
yeah to my knowledge from looking at vbulletin.com is they are on alpha

vB4 and vB4 Suite Update - vBulletin Community Forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318532)

They are doing a pre sales thing to drum up interest. I know alot of people are upset about there pricing structure.

We will as always support new versions of forums released that we integrate with but as posted we are on the beta list of developers to obtain software to work with so once it rolls into beta. I would not expect a final release of vbulletin 4.0 until around christmas or so. Since they are still in the alpha stages and its mid October they need to go into beta release it to developers and testers with a final coming out hopefully late this year or early next year. That of course is subject to change at any time but we should support the final 4.0 when it is available.

If anyone purchases licenses for 4.0 because of the savings it does not necessarily mean your going to get vb 4.0 right now. I think pre sales means exactly that. Much like the same if you purchase a movie pre sales before it is released. you need to wait till its released.

vbfan
October 16th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I don't have Photopost, but I am considering getting it once vB 4.0. I looked through the demo of Photopost and it looks fabulous! Exactly what I want! I just wanted to post something here just to further encourage you guys to work on a a new version of Photopost once you guys get access to work on vB 4.0!

snoopy5
October 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM
....I know alot of people are upset about there pricing structure.

Count me in...

I feel screwed...

Just read in the IPB pre-sales forums now all the questions about vb->IPB converters ;)

Vbulletin have put a gun to our heads to pay big money and upgrade to VB4 or else:mad:.

Stuart

What kind of business practice is that? and even worde, we shall decide on something we can even not see beforehand. The Photoshop images are useless for this.

They want us to give them money before knowing what kind of product vb4 will be (features, speed, stability etc.) and when vb4 will be available for sure (2010, 2011?)

So, while I'm anxious to move to the new platform as soon as vB4 CMS is out--which COULD be next month (I'm assuming certainly within the next 3 months)--s...

Thanks.

Dream on...

Do you know what alpha means? Do you know how many betas you have to run through, if the code is all new written, before it can become gold? This is not a switch from vb 3.81 to 3.82 or so. Do not expect anything really stable and secure before summer 2010. And the way they push now for money looks like they do not have enough money to hire more programmers for it. It just costs them more then expected.

I really check for alternatives to vb now...

1996 328ti
October 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
This thread should not be about vB but the integration of vB and PP.
Perhaps people can hold off until PP has a chance to work on the beta.

/subscribed

Chuck S
October 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Agreed as stated we will respond from a company perspective when we will support vb 4.0 when we have had a change to work on the beta.

CavySpirit
October 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Hi Chuck,

Since the new vB 4.0 just went live on the vB.com, and we now get a chance to look at it, AND this post (vBulletin 4.0 Beta - vBulletin.org Forum (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=225977)) states that those in the Beta program now for sure know who they are and that Beta will begin very soon (a matter of days), I'm just wondering if you got that confirmation that you are indeed in the Beta. I'm hoping/assuming anyway.

Thanks.

Chuck S
October 23rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
We have submitted the required paperwork I believe so its all a matter of vb doing what they need to do.

0ptima
November 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM
did you guys get access to the beta?

CavySpirit
November 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
It seems that the app will be publicly available before the end of the year--not very far away. I'm still very much in need of PP when vB 4.0 is available. I'd love an update also.

Chuck S
November 7th, 2009, 08:28 PM
All I can say at the moment is we are actively looking into the vb beta. ;)

0ptima
November 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Awesome!

Chuck S
November 8th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Its gonna be several months till vb 4.0 is out I think. Go ahead and try our Pro 7 for vb 3.x with the NEW SEO. I think you will like.

hIBEES
December 8th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Its gonna be several months till vb 4.0 is out I think. Go ahead and try our Pro 7 for vb 3.x with the NEW SEO. I think you will like.

:D how long before my members area is updated chuck?

just renewed access :)

Chuck S
December 8th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Customer service will email you when its done usually doesnt take too long but I dont work on that side of things ;)

hIBEES
December 8th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Customer service will email you when its done usually doesnt take too long but I dont work on that side of things ;)

thank you sir, in the meantime I've just installed the classified's on my vb4 test forum, works a treat.

In your opinion chuck is it better using the same database?

Althou when I upgrade my gallery I'll prob have to use a seperate database as that's what its in just now.

Or is there anyway to merge for say database: gallery into database: forums

Chuck S
December 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM
You would have to move your gallery tables into your forum database manually and then update the photopost config to the new database variables.

I use a separate database just to keep the database sizes down but it doesnt matter which way you do it.

1996 328ti
December 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I use a separate database just to keep the database sizes down but it doesnt matter which way you do it.Me too.
It makes backing up easier since my PP databases are relatively small.

1996 328ti
December 8th, 2009, 10:02 PM
With vB4 about to release RC1 Dec 11, any estimate on an integration with PP and Classifieds? Gold is due later this month.

I'm hoping to launch vB4 along with PP and Classifieds all at the same time before vB4 goes gold.

CavySpirit
December 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I'd also like an update as to timing. I would definitely like to move to vB 4.0 when it goes Gold before the end of this month, but need PP as well.

Thanks!

hIBEES
December 9th, 2009, 01:46 AM
You would have to move your gallery tables into your forum database manually and then update the photopost config to the new database variables.
:eek:
I use a separate database just to keep the database sizes down but it doesnt matter which way you do it.

That's what I do as well just now and think i'll keep it that way :D

Chuck S
December 9th, 2009, 05:52 AM
we already have pretty stable releases out that support vb4 for Photopost Pro, Reviewpost and Classifieds

1996 328ti
December 9th, 2009, 06:28 AM
we already have pretty stable releases out that support vb4 for Photopost Pro, Reviewpost and ClassifiedsI thought I saw something about that but couldn't find it.
Where is that link?

Chuck S
December 9th, 2009, 06:50 AM
The announcements main forum or each install support forum of the products

1996 328ti
December 9th, 2009, 07:39 AM
The announcements main forum or each install support forum of the products
Thanks. Found the update about Classifieds.
For Photopost, I must use Beta version if I want it to work with vB4?

Chuck S
December 9th, 2009, 07:52 AM
They ALL are betas ;)

1996 328ti
December 9th, 2009, 08:07 AM
They ALL are betas ;)Living life on the edge. :)
Thanks.

Chuck S
December 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM
yeah pretty darn stable though changes all are basically vb4 support and new SEO

pgstmh
December 15th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Chuck,

With a few beta versions being released of vB4, have you been able to start working on a compatible version of photopost pro for the eventual release? It seems as though sometime soon after the New Year vB4 gold will be out....I guess we can only hope.

Chuck S
December 15th, 2009, 10:55 AM
We have compatible versions released for vb4 for PhotoPost Pro, Reviewpost and Classifieds. Only product still being worked on is vbGallery

Neal-UK
December 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Glad to hear this Chuck S, and how it also has SEO features. The reason why i've just purchased a renewal of my Photopost Pro license ;)

Chuck S
December 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
yeah I like the new SEO ;)

1996 328ti
December 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I installed Photopost 7 and the latest classifieds beta version.
Both seem to work with my vB 3.8.4 and both seem to work with my test vB4 RC1 site.
Both painless updates.

Chuck S
December 15th, 2009, 12:03 PM
yeah I have all 3 applications working on my vb4 rc1 site and all where running on vb 3.84 before I updated to ensure compatibility

InterFX
December 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Only product still being worked on is vbGallery

Hi Chuck,,,

Any kind of a guess on VB Gallery for VB4? days, weeks or months? I know this is a more involved translation since it is more based on VB I think...

Thanks for any kinds of a guesstimate...

Will be upgrading my Reviewpost site (Brassreview.com) once VB gets more stable...

InterFX

Chuck S
December 16th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Well I cant personally say. I did the integration work for the other 3 photopost products.

vb4 changed the way they do templates and thats the big work because in vbgallery all the files need to be changed to properly pull the templates and then every last template has to be rewritten.

Michael is working on this but I would definately say probally at least a month since we have only had like 5 weeks with the actual vb beta code so far.

The main photopost products I had to create a new template set but for the most part I could wrap things with the vb stuff which made it alittle easier than vbgallery which has a complete rewrite.

InterFX
December 17th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Thanks Chuck for the update...

Chuck S
December 17th, 2009, 05:14 AM
no problem Michael till be posting updates I am sure

amagab
December 22nd, 2009, 06:52 AM
I just renewed my license in hopes that a VBG version for VB4 will be available soon. ;)

Chuck S
December 22nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
Announcements would be posted here as to any status updates. I can tell you we have had about 6 weeks with working with the beta code of vb4 so with vbgallery needing a complete new rewrite to support vb4 its going to take time.

amagab
December 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM
Ok, can I at least expect it to be within the next two months?

Thanks for your work and product offering.

Chuck S
December 22nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
Yes I would suspect a working model in that timeframe probally sooner.

MrKing
February 2nd, 2010, 04:05 AM
Yes I would suspect a working model in that timeframe probally sooner.

just wondering how vbgallery for vb4 is coming along chuck ? any news or time lines yet :)

Chuck S
February 2nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
I will see if I can get an answer from Michael. Since I dont work on that project I dont personally know.

MrKing
February 2nd, 2010, 10:28 AM
brilliant thanks :)

Michael P
February 2nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
Going well, 4.02 is due out this week; hopefully the changes that effect us are minimal. We've got a couple technical issues to overcome and then a handful of templates left to modify. In the next couple weeks I think we'll be ready to post up a public beta 1 preview that we can test before releasing a public beta of the code.

sross
February 2nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Great news, I have a big refresh on two forum communities waiting on it so will be stoked when it's out and can move forward :)

MrKing
February 6th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Update: Please note that we are delaying the release of 4.0.2 because we are working to improve the quality of this build, primarily issues related to RTL languages and IE browsers. Currently we are targeting the end of next week for this release. While we know this will be a disappointment to some, we feel that it is more important to get these issues resolved in this version rather than pushing them to a future one.

you probably already seen this, any way i agree and this is what they should of done in the first place before gold ;)

Chuck S
February 6th, 2010, 07:06 AM
yep we saw this I can only say what was suppose to be in there 100 bug fixes HMM I personally think another 200 LOL

bennyng
March 12th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Any updates on progress?

** Edit:

I was watching this thread for the news, and I just found the preview thread over at http://www.photopost.com/forum/general-discussion/142344-vbgallery-vb4-preview.html

Chuck S
March 13th, 2010, 06:26 AM
The preview thread is the latest news. It means its getting close to a public beta but as Michael states in that latest thread there are alot of key things that need to still be worked out for a public beta to be released.