View Full Version : Disappearing Comments
March 4th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I've had a few users reporting "disappearing comments" - comments that they've previously posted have disappeared. Here's an example of their feedback:
PhotographyBLOG Gallery - Alaska series - Powered by PhotoPost (http://www.photographyblog.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=91758)
We're running PP 5.6.2.
Any pointers on how to start debugging this would be appreciated.
March 4th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Have you approved comments in admin moderate comments if you elect to have moderation?
Comments can not just dissappear.
March 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM
There are no comments in Admin > Moderate Comments, as we don't have that turned on.
I'm as mystified as you are! We've been running 5.6.2 for a while now, and we haven't changed any Admin settings recently.
March 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Well the only way a comment will not show is a couple things.
1. someone deleted the comments.
2. comments are not approved.
3. You may still have comments but there is a setting in admin to not show empty comments meaning comments that are just a rating. if you elect to not show rating comments then only comments that have an actual comment will be shown.
March 5th, 2009, 03:27 AM
1. I'm the only Admin, and there are no Moderators with delete rights.
And I think it's true that members can only delete comments if they remove the photo that they're associated with?
2. There are no comments waiting for approval.
3. That option is turned off.
Could there be any kind of database problem?
March 5th, 2009, 06:50 AM
1. absolutely not. If you allow users to edit posts they can delete their comment
I dont see how if everything works the only way a comment would not appear is the points I brought up.
vBulletin® v3.8.1, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.