PDA

View Full Version : Number of top level categories to show on index page?

skidpics
August 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Hopefully someone can explain the "Number of top level categories to show on index page?" admin option.

If I change it to 0, I get all my categories to list, with nothing below the menu bar..

If I change this to 1, I get this below my menu bar, with 2 categories listed in the category area:

General Uploads Pics of Yourself! travel Entertainment
Outdoor Desktop Wallpapers Good Times news family
celebrities pets ... Mobile Phone Pictures

if I change it to 2, I get this:
General Uploads Pics of Yourself! travel Entertainment
Outdoor Desktop Wallpapers

with 3 categories listed in the category area..

So, how do you get all categories to show at the top of the page, below the nav bar, since '0' does away with this feature?

Chuck S
August 3rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
I would really have to see your site as I beleive that setting paginates the index if you have multiple top level categories we are not talking subcategories that is controlled by catdepth setting.

skidpics
August 4th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I just don't understand if you change the number to zero, the small text listing at the top disappears, and if you change it to anything but 1, the text listing of the top level cats changes to that amount...

Chuck S
August 4th, 2008, 09:05 AM
It should list whatever number of pages to display with cat list at top so your page looks correct. Your site looks fine to me click each link your levels are broken down into pages

http://skidpics.com/index.php/page/2

skidpics
August 5th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I am just having a hard time understanding. If you choose 0, to show all top level categories, but there is no text listing at the top of the index page.

If you choose 1 level, most will show, but not all, at the top of the index page, with 2 levels showing in the category section, I am assuming member galleries is default at this time - which means it is showing 1 category then, which is correct in the cat listing..

If you choose 2 levels, then a few will show at the top, with the 2 levels in the cat listing.

I have roughly 20 top categories - how do I get them to show at the top of the index page, within the text listing?? I think this part is flawed...

I can give you admin access, but I am sure that if you go in to your sandbox demo, and start changing that number to 1 and 2, you will see what I mean about the top listing not reflecting the number of levels to be shown..

Top meaning the small category text listing is shows below the menu bar..

Chuck S
August 5th, 2008, 12:20 PM
You have 18 top level categories. You have set your page back to normal so its hard to understand but basically how many top level categories to show would depend how many to show on one page and then you would go to the next page. Thats how my understanding of that feature is. Its a pagination thing so your index is not too big.

skidpics
August 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM
You have 18 top level categories. You have set your page back to normal so its hard to understand but basically how many top level categories to show would depend how many to show on one page and then you would go to the next page. Thats how my understanding of that feature is. Its a pagination thing so your index is not too big.

Right, 18, so when i change the setting to 1, I get 1 category showing in the actual cat listing, and 11 showing in the top listing..

so where are the other 7? the navigation arrows do not change the listing to reflect the rest..

btw- I changed it back to the (1) listing

Chuck S
August 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Which ones are missing?

skidpics
August 5th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Which ones are missing?

Rides, Home and Garden,Sports,Music,Mutiplayer Gaming,Myspace Images,Babes

Checked the permissions - should be showing up for everyone

Chuck S
August 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM
It seems you have turned this off again. I will have to find a system we can test this on or feel free to send us via email the appropriate logins etc to take a look. This is not a commonly used feature so I need to see what the differences are here.

skidpics
August 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
It seems you have turned this off again. I will have to find a system we can test this on or feel free to send us via email the appropriate logins etc to take a look. This is not a commonly used feature so I need to see what the differences are here.

My apologies - I will leave it on until further notice..0

After checking the links it creates, it doesn't actually enter the category, rather, changes the category listing in the cat section to display that category listing, rather than entering the category - so that option is actually pointless, since it isn't a direct link to the category itself.

Guess I will hardcode a listing in there...

Chuck S
August 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM
As stated feel free to email us any logins to assist you on the site.