PDA

View Full Version : Optimization

omidvd
April 15th, 2008, 02:54 AM
hi,

few questions:

i am the proud owner 2 copies of your gallery. www.jugend.co.il/gallery/index.php (http://jugend.co.il/gallery/index.php) and www.taukd.com/photos/index.php (http://www.taukd.com/photos/index.php)

1. can u direct me on a pdf of a documentations for photopost?

2. can u direct me to a thread that talks about optimizing the performance of the gallery? i have over 120,000 pictures, and the performance is not good enough.

3.how do i know which version of photopost is installed? (the stats page is not working - keep timing out).

4.what version of php should i use? The main thing that sucks my CPU performance is php-cgi. i understand that if i could run php isapi instead its faster because its already in memory . am i correct?

5. RTL - right to left languages, since i am a hebrew user, i would like to know which files must be changed to RTL direction (on the new version i am ordering).

6. i am ordering the new verison of photopost - should there be a problem - can i roll back quickly? or is it not recommended.

7.do u have a service where i could ask your guys to optimize my gallery (for payment of course)?

thanks,
Omid.

omidvd
April 15th, 2008, 03:02 AM
8. can i get the latest copy of the english.php so i could translate the missing words (from my hebrew.php).

9. what happens if words are missing - does it default to english?

Omid.

Chuck S
April 15th, 2008, 07:52 AM
If you want the latest copy of any files you can download the code from the members area

1. can u direct me on a pdf of a documentations for photopost?

http://www.photopost.com/auth.html

2. can u direct me to a thread that talks about optimizing the performance of the gallery? i have over 120,000 pictures, and the performance is not good enough.

http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116430

3.how do i know which version of photopost is installed? (the stats page is not working - keep timing out).

You can try looking in the adm-misc file or your database but yeah the stats page shows the version

4.what version of php should i use? The main thing that sucks my CPU performance is php-cgi. i understand that if i could run php isapi instead its faster because its already in memory . am i correct?

You would need to have your host diagnose what is slowing up on your server and take the right measures but yes isapi is faster than cgi.

5. RTL - right to left languages, since i am a hebrew user, i would like to know which files must be changed to RTL direction (on the new version i am ordering).

well rtl is in your language file metatag which tells wording how to display we do not support hebrew though. If your trying to change the template aligns you would need to edit all your templates and change the aligns backwards from the way they are now meaning left would be right and right would be left

6. i am ordering the new verison of photopost - should there be a problem - can i roll back quickly? or is it not recommended.

You cant really roll back since we dont keep old files

7.do u have a service where i could ask your guys to optimize my gallery (for payment of course)?

We dont really do server optimizations. The photopost settings you can do yourself really.

omidvd
April 15th, 2008, 03:20 PM
3.. i have version 5.2 - i understand there were some major improvement since then?

4. are u saying i can use isapi? what is the preferred version of php for the version mentioned above?

Chuck S
April 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Yes there are a few sure

There is no prefered method of php use it all depends on how the server is setup and php is installed. Many things can affect performance like memory number of people online at a given time mysql usage processor speed disk usage etc

omidvd
April 16th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Can u direct me to a customer with a huge gallery? so i could consult him/her?
we have plans to double the amount of pictures, i need to know what i should paying attention to.

By the way - the optimization thread was usufull:
1. i reduced the amount of random pictures.
2. i also played with the cahce timer for random pictures i tried 60 minutes an 0. zero seems to be not good (load is higher), and 60 min, seems ok.

Omid.

Chuck S
April 16th, 2008, 08:03 AM
You can view our examples on the main page and see if there is a site that matches what you want and use their contact links to contact them. I can not give you contact info on people per privacy laws

omidvd
April 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
thanks, regarding the php:

my host tried but the gallery didn't like 5.2.1 isapi so I had to set it to cgi version of 5.2.1.

will the new version support it?

Chuck S
April 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I would not think your issue had anything to do with our code. Most likely an issue with how your php was setup.

omidvd
April 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM
thanks, appreciate it.

today we upgraded to php 5.2.5 , currently we still use the CGI, tomorrow we will test the ISAPI and will update on results.

can u direct to a documentations of quidelines to install/configure properly the php ?

Chuck S
April 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM
php.net should have any documentation on the php versions and installation.

omidvd
April 17th, 2008, 03:34 AM
hi, we tested the ISAPI, the number of viewers per categories isnt working.
we rolling back to the CGI verison. thanks.

Omid.

MrDaniel
April 17th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I would suggest giving FastCGI a try....

Astaran
April 17th, 2008, 04:55 AM
and what does "isn't working" mean? Do you get any errors? Switching the between cgi and isapi shouldn't have any influence on the execution of the php code.

omidvd
April 17th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I would suggest giving FastCGI a try....

thanks - will check that also.

omidvd
April 17th, 2008, 04:57 AM
and what does "isn't working" mean? Do you get any errors? Switching the between cgi and isapi shouldn't have any influence on the execution of the php code.

well, i dont see any errors, simply as if the fetuare is disabled. the isapi - flushed all the sessions of the users, thus they may have log in issues?

i simply dont know. any ideas?

Astaran
April 17th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Well, ask your webhost if they see any errors in the webserver logs or have a look yourself. Check the iponline table, does the row count change? If so, the user tracking is working.

Chuck S
April 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
As Astaran states as I did there should be no issues switching to isapi or how php code is executed. if you have issues we would need to know the errors to assist.

omidvd
April 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM
will check it - gladly - thanks.

Chuck S
April 17th, 2008, 09:06 AM
server logs are our friends ;)

omidvd
April 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM
As Astaran states as I did there should be no issues switching to isapi or how php code is executed. if you have issues we would need to know the errors to assist.

First of all - thanks!

we just switched back to php -cgi from php isapi and the the number of viewer was back on. like magic.

where should i look for the errors logs? IIS logs? or something the gallery produces?