PDA

View Full Version : Server Heavy/ Light Script?

crystak
April 9th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I'm looking to change the gallery on my site: http://www.hannahmontanazone.com/gallery from the gallery2 menalto one to something else. I'm considering Coppermine and this PhotoPost at the moment.

I would prefer PhotoPost because I also have a VB forum so an integration would be nice.

I'd like to know how server friendly this script is. The current one uses 40-50% CPU power almost continuously so the site is really sluggish at times.

Would this script be my best alternative for a 20k pageviews traffic website?

Oh, and another question. Can I migrate all my albums and photos from Menalto to Photopost?

Chuck S
April 9th, 2008, 07:47 AM
No one can judge how fast or slow an application will be on any given server but I can say our application runs on many many different server hosts and has extensive performance enhancements which i think puts it at the top of the pack coupled with the fact it is the only truly support script you have meantioned. Coppermine is known for its lack of support and its vb integration is really non existent.

There are no gallery2 import scripts that I am aware of.

Furvy
April 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
There are many glaring bugs in Coppermine, so I wouldn't hesitate to say right off the bat that Photopost is a MUCH higher quality piece of software.

Also, it is possible to run a massive gallery with Coppermine, but from my experience on the forums, most people start experiencing significant performance decreases with Coppermine when they have uploaded 7,500 photos and up. The more photos you upload, the more severe the performance hit becomes exponentially.

However, if you have a site with lots of visitors and not many photos, Coppermine doesn't do half bad. I can recall one person who had around 100k hits a day, but only a couple thousand images, and his site ran just fine with a dual Xeon 3.4

With Photopost, however, I see the top site BodyBuilding.com with 200k photos and 200 million views. I am almost certain this would not be possible with Coppermine on even the most advanced hardware.