PDA

View Full Version : delayed vb and photopost integration

gpigate
March 31st, 2008, 09:43 AM
I have a customer with an existing vBulletin forum. They also have a current version of photopost. I have been contracted to rebuild their site as well as upgrade vbulletin, photopost and integrate the 2.

My main question is this. We are upgrading to 3.6.8 of vbulletin and to the latest version of your product. They did not integrate in the past. If we integrate photopost with vbulletin now will it be able to align the user profiles so that the forum members do not lose their photos in the gallery?

If they can not be aligned and the "link" will be lost, is there a way other than having the users re-upload their photos to tie the data back in?

Any foreseen issues with integrating this late in the game? Their photo post gallery (files and photos ) is righ at 3/4 of a gig so it is a lot of data.

Thank you for your assistance.

Chuck S
March 31st, 2008, 10:20 AM
well you can reinstall Photopost to integrate with vbulletin sure if you do some extra things.

1. clear the photopost usergroups table so you can reinstall and import vb groups

2. You need to use vb's impex script to import the photopost users to vb

3. you reinstall photopost to integrate with vb

4. You use the userfix script located in our importer forum for photopost to realign the photo and comments userid's

gpigate
April 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
use version 6 photo post pro correct?

Chuck S
April 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
You need to do the steps I outlined above if you wish to integrate with vbulletin and you already had photopost installed with users etc as you need to get thos users into vb which involves running their import and then a script from us to realign the userid's

gpigate
April 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
i think I did misunderstand then. You are saying to fix what is there currently to integrate with vBulletin, and then upgrade? I thought you were outlining steps to do it all in one swoop. So depending on what is there decides whether its pro or lite?

Chuck S
April 2nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
I am only commenting how to integrate an already existing photopost into vbulletin which is what this thread asked.

gpigate
April 2nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
maybe I didnt state the original question clearly. The customer is wanting to upgrade to the latest vbulletin version as well as the latest photo post version as well as integrate the 2. Would the process be the same?

reinstall the current version as integrated, then upgrade? or should I upgrade the version of photo post and then integrate? any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Greg

Chuck S
April 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
upgrade both then do as instructed above.

gpigate
April 2nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
upgrade using the pro version and not the lite version correct ?

pgstmh
April 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Chuck, feel free to move this thread to a secure forum if you wish. I was posting here until we got the license renewed.

We followed the steps you mentioned above on the dev server as we do not want to play with the live site. We are having some issues because of bad pathing from the dev to live server. We are looking for where some of these directories are referenced. When you first log into the admin it shows error loading directory "adm-inc.php on line 638" and is referencing the gallery home directory. Any idea where I have missed updating one?

1. clear the photopost usergroups table so you can reinstall and import vb groups
I cleared the table using phpmyadmin. However there were problems using impex as it did not like not having the usergroup in photopost. I reimported the table from the backup and went forward. Did I miss something with this step?

2. You need to use vb's impex script to import the photopost users to vb

Results are below. I found that associate users did not seem like a good thing to do. it wanted you to manually put in a referenced user id for all users. Import users brought over 209 and failed on 4. I looked for myself and I only have one userid in the vbulletin user table.
001 Check and update database 1 0 1 sec(s)
002 Associate Users 0 0 0 sec(s)
003 Import usergroup 7 0 1 sec(s)
004 Import user 209 4

3. you reinstall photopost to integrate with vb
I added the options to the config-inc.php and config-int.php configuration files and reuploaded the files. Would a complete reinstall be necessary or just add the options there and upload?

4. You use the userfix script located in our importer forum for photopost to realign the photo and comments userid's
I could not find the script you were referencing. Can you point me in the right direction.

So now when you go to the gallery on the dev server everything looks fine. It shows photo gallery with the header from the forums. It is using an old style but I can figure that out later. If you try to log in you get the following message

"In order to accept POST request originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist.
Fatal error: Undefined class name 'vbulletinhook' in /home/content/J/s/w/Jswenson/html/forum/includes/functions.php on line 4322"

now the directory it is referencing is the live server folder. Again I can not find where these are referenced, I thought I had got them all.

If anyone has been through this and can offer any advice or direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck S
April 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
well looks to me like your crossing things between a live and dev server the whitelist thing is a vb thing telling you that you must add your dev server to your whitelist to allow login

You need to do a reinstall to get all your settings right to integrate with vb not an internal install or do all change of settings by hand in the database

It is not an expected thing that users switch integrations at will.

Chuck S
April 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Basically

you upgrade your products

run your impex script in vb to get users from photopost to vb

reinstall photopost to integrate with vb

use the script noted to realign the photos to the proper users since their userid's will be different in vb

pgstmh
April 3rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
so when you say reinstall photopost... is that running the install.php or upgrade.php? or just changing the files and ftp'ing everything again?

what script is noted? I saw 2 in the scripts section and neither seemed to apply. if you could provide direction as to which is applicable that would be helpful.

once we get the thing integrated, we wont be switching anything. I have updated the whitelist in vbulletin and get the same error. I am not trying to be a pain in the butt here.... but I do not really want to go into doing all of this on the live server until I can somewhat be sure that it will work without major issue.

Chuck S
April 3rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
well whitelist is not a photopost error. You need to update the whitelist in vb with that other domain.

You do your vb stuff then rerun install.php to integrate with vbulletin and then use this script to realign the userid's

http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115240

pgstmh
April 3rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
when I go to install.php it says get ready for a fresh install. is this going to erase all data?

Chuck S
April 3rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Not if you install into the same database and table prefix as your old photopost tables.

pgstmh
April 3rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
are forum integrations handled by the advanced installation team? who could I contact to get more information?

Chuck S
April 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
If you have done everything else like importing users etc you could purchase an install and have an install tech reinstall to integrate with vb sure.

pgstmh
April 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
so basically what you are telling me is no :) the installation services would only apply to the photopost portion of the configuration and not necessarily to the integration right ?

i am more looking to upgrade vbulletin and leave everything else to the tech. upgrading photopost and integrating it with vbulletin. just wanting ot make sure its done right.

Chuck S
April 3rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
well the install would install/upgrade the photopost and integrate it with vb

Its not going to run any vb impex or anything or guarantee photos are owned by the proper person because of you switching

pgstmh
April 7th, 2008, 09:42 AM
so anything on the vb side would have to be done by me.... I would upgrade vbulletin and handle the impex script etc. The support person would upgrade photo post and handle the integration of photopost with vbulletin. that is all fine but if there is no guarantees then it would come down to whether it was cost effective. Who do I contact to see if this is the route we want to go?

From what I learned from the first attempts and you the steps are

upgrade vbulletin to latest version
upgrade photo post to latest version
run impex scripts to pull users from photo post to vbulletin
run photopost install script to use integration options

sound about right?

Chuck S
April 7th, 2008, 09:57 AM
yes that sounds right just two things you forgot.

before reinstalling photopost you purge the photopost usergroups table

after install you run the userfix script i posted to realign photos to the proper users in vb based on the changed userid.

what I am saying is their is no guarantee photos and comments would be 100% correct as in what would happen if we encounter users with the same username who is right. We cant discuss how vb's impex thing works nor if you can assign things right

There is never any guarantee on whether switching or importing things are 100 accurate.

You can purchase an install if you wish us to handle the photopost portion.

pgstmh
April 7th, 2008, 10:05 AM
when I first tried it. it really didnt like it when I purged the photopost usergroups table. Are you the one who does the installs? We understand it may not be 100% and would be ok with a small amount of fall out.

Any way to talk to someone over the phone maybe to hash out what is covered and what isnt? Curious as to things like the style it uses etc.

Chuck S
April 7th, 2008, 10:27 AM
The style it uses is the vbulletin style.

The install covers the upgrade/install of photopost and we would run the userfix script for you.

pgstmh
April 7th, 2008, 10:41 AM
ok, I ordered the installation service. need to get with whoever does these things to schedule and discuss.

Chuck S
April 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM
If you noted what this was for when ordering or when you recieve the fax note this and send back the details they will go in and do what is needed.