PDA

View Full Version : bulk upload for general access

skidpics
March 31st, 2008, 12:52 AM
How do we modify the admin bulk upload to work with regular users and a default directory?

Chuck S
March 31st, 2008, 08:35 AM
For members to bulkupload you need to create them an ftp account to upload files to your server to their default directory.

skidpics
March 31st, 2008, 09:13 AM
so the bulk uploader cannot be modified to handle this once an upload is completed?

Chuck S
March 31st, 2008, 09:23 AM
that is not what i said. ;)

I said if you wanted regular users to upload that you would need to create an ftp account to let them upload files.

If your trying to add to the mix your little hack mod thing then that would take the place of the ftp part all users need to do is hit skip upload prompt and process files in uploads directory when they visit the upload page if the files are uploaded with your hack.

skidpics
March 31st, 2008, 09:33 AM
i see.. as a guest users, I have tried the "Skip upload and process the files already in your upload directory" with a directory and a url for an image, and it does nothing..

Chuck S
March 31st, 2008, 09:43 AM
guests upload from uploads/0 i would beleive as long as files exist in the directory the script is looking for it works fine

skidpics
March 31st, 2008, 09:47 AM
I suppose I will explain what I would like to do a bit better - concerning the ajax uploader everyone is screaming about, which, I am sure will be added to PP once everything is worked out.

To have a temporary fix, allow a self install of which ever uploader "you" want, then once uploads are done, redirect it to the bulkuploader and automatically allow the bulk uploader to add the uploads from the default upload directory much like it does in admin mode.

This of course will not be the base bulkuploader, rather, a modified version of the process under a different name..

this would be a quick fix, if easy enough to do, in order to fix the demand issue for now..

Chuck S
March 31st, 2008, 10:22 AM
Your free to discuss your code modifications with other users outside product support in THE MOD CORNER.

skidpics
March 31st, 2008, 10:33 AM
thanks Chuck, I will repost http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134255.

concerning the ajax upload discussion..

Chuck S
March 31st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Not a problem might do better for you to have users like you discuss this instead of me posting in a support manner how the bulkupload portion works.

skidpics
March 31st, 2008, 02:10 PM
guests upload from uploads/0 i would beleive as long as files exist in the directory the script is looking for it works fine

Actually chuck, If I use the url of "http://www.iww.is/art/shs/photos/NL02B.jpg" and try to do the skip uploading part, nothing happens under guest access. No images get pulled from either a directory or URl

We are talking about this, right?
Extra Options
Retrieve all images from a URL:
Skip upload and process the files already in your upload directory

Chuck S
March 31st, 2008, 02:16 PM
retrieve all images from a url is something different there we parse whatever page and try and extract images from the img tags in the html page. If your trying to bulk look for images on a directory server path on your server you must input the proper server path and use the skip upload function and this server path must exist on your server.

skidpics
March 31st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Okay then,

I have /test on my root dir with pics in it. If I use /test and skip the upload process, I get nothing from it..

I tried http://skidpics.com/test and nothing also..

Chuck S
March 31st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Right but guests cant process bulk uploads in some custom directory. In fact registered users or guests are limited to processing files in their own upload directory.

Only you logged in as admin and inputting the proper server path to that directory would be able to process those files.

skidpics
March 31st, 2008, 02:34 PM
so the feature really doesn't do anything, unless you are allowing ftp bulk uploader for users, correct?

if so, what would the url be?

Chuck S
March 31st, 2008, 02:53 PM
users can only upload to their respective bulk upload directory which is their user upload directory and if you look at the options users are not given bulk upload options in a any way only a way to process images in their que. If you give them an ftp account that is limited to their upload directory only and they upload images then they can use the skip upload checkbox but I do believe we have discussed this before.

As far as the path it is not a url. It is a server path to their uploads directory and it would be whatever your server path to photopost is plus /uploads/theiruserid

skidpics
March 31st, 2008, 03:03 PM
It was discussed, but I never got a clear understanding of what it was for. The question previously was why the bulk upload script was showing when not logged in.. So this, answers that question..

Chuck S
March 31st, 2008, 03:28 PM
bulkupload shows for anyone when their uploads directory has more than one image, the category has extra fields or you have optional categories selected in upload options. The script they go to to upload is uploadphoto.