PDA

View Full Version : Photopost - Host recommendations

pistebasher
March 13th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I am currently running my Photopost site on a site5 hosting account. Unfortunately site5 have a "25000 inode per domain" file limit, so even with a modest photopost gallery of about 8000 pics I am rapidly approaching that limit (because of thumbnails + medium and large images) even though I have (in theory) 750GB of web space. How do folks with mega sized galleries manage this? Has anyone any hosting company recommendations that don't have such a limit but don't cost an arm and a leg or is this a pipedream?

Alternatively, is there some way of "archiving" photopost pics to other domains/sub-domains but still keep them accessible to users?

Chuck S
March 13th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I use westhost.com and I beleive their is no file limit only space limit but basically you need to look at alternative hosting with higher limits. Like example my hosting which is about 25 bucks a month is 20GB of space and 300gb bandwidth.

pistebasher
March 14th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I have 750 GB of space and 1TB of bandwidth for less than half that cost. Only problem is I have a file number limit :-(

Chuck S
March 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah that is not good. Kinda sounds to me they offer those big space things but place a limit to make sure there clients never get there ;). Powweb does the same thing they give users tons of space etc for 8 bucks then limit them to say 50000 mysql connections in a certain time frame so basically their sites shut down.

skidpics
March 14th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I have 750 GB of space and 1TB of bandwidth for less than half that cost. Only problem is I have a file number limit :-(

lunarpages has not limit..

and bluehost is good too.

Yahoo not has unlimited space and bandwidth for $12 per month - limited services available - I use that now.

Chuck S
March 14th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah yahoo is limited they lock down several php functions and only allow GD2.

Swanny
March 14th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'm using httpme.com I've been happy with them. I'm running multiple copies of PP.

pistebasher
March 14th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Can I do something like that Chuck? ie if my Photopost is installed at mydomain.com, can I make sub-domains like 2006.mydomain.com etc. and use the same PP licence to archive on that basis? I don't wish to buy multiple licences - it would be cheaper to get a dedicated server :-)

Chuck S
March 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM
You can not run multiple instances of Photopost with only one license as that would be a violation of the licensing details.

http://www.photopost.com/phplicense.html

pistebasher
March 15th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Actually I don't think it would be feasible as most pics are in users' personal galleries and they can't easily be split, but thanks anyway.

pistebasher
March 19th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I've moved the domain to Bluehost, despite reading bad stuff about CPU usage being limited. Will see how it gets on.