PDA

View Full Version : which file(s) determines layout?

busterw
February 27th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Is there a file that is editable so a user can modify the look of their gallery. In other words, say for example if they wanted to change the table layout so it doesn't stretch 100% of the screen and wanted to update the main page background after decreasing that table width. How easily is that achieved and which file(s) would they edit?

Will this edit have to be made in multiple files or just a single file if using the default theme?

Thanks!

busterw
February 27th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Let me clarify a little bit here. We're in the process of trying to decide if we need to invest the money that PhotoPost costs. We're going to be running a SMF board which is obviously a free board. Prior to a PhotoPost purchase, we're trying to determine if it will do exactly what we need it to do, or if we're goiing to have to invest more money in something like vBulletin to get what we need.

The question in my previous post was to determine if we are going to be able to make Photopost look like our forum will so when a user clicks on the button we put in the forum menu for "Gallery", that it will take them to a gallery that looks identical to the forum. For this to work, we'll obviously need to be able to access SOME php file that the gallery runs on and determines it's style and layout, beyond what the forums style sheet will do. If it won't do this with SMF, then we have to determine if we have the resources available to purchase vBulletin.

Please tell me based on this info, if we can do this with Photopost and how many/which Photopost files will have to be edited by a PHP programmer to make this work.

Thanks again!

Chuck S
February 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM
You can place whatever html header or footer you wish over the board to control width etc. The style can be pulled from the forum so it looks like the forum there are examples here

http://www.photopost.com/action

busterw
February 27th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Well what we need is to be able to incorprate into the layout of the page our "tinyportal" scripts as well as the code for headers and footers. I worked on this for a previous client who I can't recall right now, but we never could figure out which files to mod to incorporate what we wanted and they were also running a SMF forum.

From what I understand, the header and footer script doesn't work with SMF, but only with vBulletin. So, we want to be able to modify the layout php file to be able to do what we want. Is this possible and which files and how many will have to be worked on?

Thanks Chuck!

Chuck S
February 28th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Most people place a static html header and footer files over the gallery to mock the look of the forum header or footer. I can not tell you what to include or mod from smf as I have never used that forum. We do offer mod forums here for users to post and interact with other users on code modification questions which fall outside product support.

busterw
February 28th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I think we'll be able to handle getting what we need out of SMF but I'm just confused about how or where that will go in Photopost. when you say, "Most people place a static html header and footer files OVER the gallery", I think the "over" the gallery is what I'm not understanding how it's done and what this will entail.

Chuck S
February 28th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Essentially the PHOTOPOST printheader function checks to see what html or php files you want to load for the header or footer in admin global options where you specify the server path and filename to load. You would write up these files you want to load and Photopost will load them as a header or footer.

busterw
February 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Wow, fast response.

OK, that makes sense. And that function you're referring to in the admin area does work for SMF and isn't a vbulletin only feature?

Now another question kind of in regards to this. In your demo gallery here (http://www.photopost.com/photopost/), I see the gallery doesn't stretch the width of the entire screen. Is this setting somewhere in the table layout in a php file or is that in the gallery style sheet?

Thanks again so much for your help with all of these silly sounding questions.

Chuck S
February 28th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Photopost has its own admin area where you specify those things. The vb3 integration does things a little different and is outside the normal.

Our demo loads the vb3 header footer and uses that table width ;)

busterw
February 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Chuck, thanks for all of your help. We purchased last night and have the gallery up and running. I've made quite a few mods to it so will now be postig in the mods area with a few small issues I can't figure out how to resolve.

Thanks again!
Buster

busterw
February 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Oh well, can't get into the mod area yet. Evidently the script hasn't run to update me from a "Registered User" to a "Verified Member".

Chuck S
February 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM
No problem enjoy and have a good weekend.

busterw
February 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
How long before the script will run again to update my account. I updated my email in my CP at 1:11 EST and it's now 2:38 to match my order email. I thought it ran every hour.

Chuck S
February 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I show you are verified