PDA

View Full Version : Recent albums?

worx
February 13th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I am using coppermine and like to convert to photopost, but I am afraid that photopost still does not have recent albums. We are adding a lot of photos to our site, therefore the recent photo block is no good, because it only shows the photos of the latest album we created. Therefore it will be very difficult for users to find the other recent albums.

I think a very active website will have the same problem with user albums. Usually people do not only upload one photo, so the recent photos block probably only shows photos from a single user. It would be better to show one picture only, so that other users will visit the member gallery of other users, too.

Is such a module available?

Chuck S
February 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I am not familiar enough with coppermine or its features to really know what you mean. We have 3 photo blocks most popular random and recent. You can set how many photos you wish to display from 4 to400 does not really matter. It shows the x number of recent photos a user has permission to see. The recent block does not show photos from only one user unless one user has uploaded all the photos you elect to show.

worx
February 14th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I try to explain better:

Let' s say you have added albums w, x, y, z. Each of them has 50+ pictures. All albums have been created on the same day, but at different times, so that album w is the oldest and album z is the youngest of these new albums.

I think that photopost will show the last 4 pictures of album z, because those are the photos with the most recent time stamp.

Coppermine has such a block, too, but it also has a block which will show the latest albums. That block shows one picture of album w, one of album x, one of y and one of z. We are adding at least 6 albums each week, so this is the desired display for our site.

Coppermine does have this recent albums block for every category. If you are on gallery root, it will show the most recent albums of your whole gallery. If you are one level below (eg in category a), it shows the most recent albums of this category only.

I hope you get what I mean. Unfortunately I cannot point you to the coppermine demo, because the website is down since yesterday (or even longer?).

Chuck S
February 14th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Photopost shows the last x amount of photos you select from any category as yes it is the most recent photos. There is no recent albums block

worx
February 14th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Too bad. That is the most important block for us and therefore we cannot switch to photopost. :(

sharm
February 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
and its so hard to add sach as block its just code i think

Chuck S
February 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Correct sharm any user is free to code or alter the product as they see fit. Sorry worx you are put off that we do not share every last feature of coppermine however we do have alot of other features coppermine does not and most important the biggest reason people switch from coppermine is because we actually provide support whereas its almost impossible to get an answer at the coppermine site.

worx
February 14th, 2008, 09:41 PM
The other features photopost offers are not as important to us than the recent albums block. I know that photopost has much better support and that everyone can code his own mods, but this does not help very much. We do not have the knowledge to code it on our own. Hiring a coder will be most likely beyond our financial limits.

I hope that you consider adding a recent albums block for one of your future versions. This is really the only feature which keeps us from buying photopost. Even all the other nice photopost features cannot make up for this big disadvantage.

Chuck S
February 14th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Sorry I will pass along the suggestion for future versions but like most all software it more than likely does not offer every last feature a user wants.