PDA

View Full Version : So with vb 3.7 having a photo gallery option, why would I still need photopost?

jilly
January 11th, 2008, 11:41 PM
and I don't mean this in a rude way at all! So don't let it come across that way :)

I was going to get photopost when I upgraded my boards to 3.7 - however now with the social networking functions, and the ability to have groups and photos in the groups, what would I use photopost for? WHat extras does photopost have that makes it still a necessary product with 3.7?
sell me on it :)

Chuck S
January 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM
To my knowledge the profile option for photos is merely that. It is a profile option that allows a user to upload some photos to their profile. It is not a photo gallery community. There is no central place to create categories for users to upload photos to. There is no multimedia functions etc. It is no way close to being a photo gallery function in any capacity. But thats just my take on it. I would suggest you read their features and then read our features and you can clearly see what I mean.

Subah
January 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
The photo gallery in the 3.7 , not a pro gallery like the Photopost and the vBGallery :)

Chuck S
January 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
It is not even a photo gallery it is a profile options to upload some personal photos into the users vb profile. Thats it.

Zachariah
January 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I enjoy the profile photo area in vB37 for my personal profile. It gives me my own cubicle with personal photos for passer byers to see. I see the new profile as a next step in fixing the thread and posts listing speeds. :D I can now shut off inline images in signatures and avatars. Then I can push all that junk in the profile area where its OK to be slower.

Some people need a lot more flexibility for a gallery.

Threads: 1,449, Posts: 8,227, Members: 22,542
Categories: 620, Images: 96,323, Comments: 32,630, Total Views: 23,264,697, Disk Space: 9.08 GB

It depends on the need.

KW802
January 12th, 2008, 10:30 PM
It is not even a photo gallery it is a profile options to upload some personal photos into the users vb profile. Thats it.
... at least so far, even the Jelsoft guys are going out of their way to state that the 3.7 features are not meant to be a "photo gallery" replacement.

jilly
January 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I am wondering about the hard drive space for photo storage - I was thinking of having a separate hard drive just to store and server the photos from - does that make any sense? Is that even do-able? (lol) - how do others handle the hard drive storage space needed for the photos? And what's the average amount of space you give each user?

Chuck S
January 13th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Well Most server plans nowadays have plenty of space to run a photo site. I personally do not set user limits but that is up to you and how much space you use. A normal photo when resized will be between 75k and 150k usually so it is totally up to you. restricting users to 2-5mb of diskspace is a norm for most people I think.