PDA

View Full Version : Photopost vs. vbGallery

pds
January 9th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Color me a bit confused, and my apologies extended in advance. I have licenses for both Photopost, and ReviewPost, although I only have Photopost running.

I have had Photopost integrated with my vBulletin 3.6.8PL2 forum for years. I have not upgraded in about 18 months (maybe longer), and my Photopost Copyright info indicates that I am running "Photopost vB3 Enhanced".

Since I need to upgrade (got the security exploit email), what should I upgrade to? Photopost Pro V6.01 or vbGallery 2.42?

What are the differences between these products?

Thanks for the help, and apologies again for what is likely a simplistic question.

Chuck S
January 9th, 2008, 09:40 AM
The exploit was for only vbgallery so really no need to update to vbgallery. You can just update your photopost pro to the latest which is real easy.

The differences between the products are listed under the product details listed on our header.

pds
January 9th, 2008, 10:19 AM
By what I read, it seems the VBGallery product integrates with the vBulletin admincp, where as PPro does not. This would make things a lot asier from my standpoint. Is this a safe assumption?

Chuck S
January 9th, 2008, 10:25 AM
If you would like to run vbgallery that is your choose. Pro has more features but its own admin panel and vbgallery has its admin panel in vbulletin admin so thats a short idea of how things go.

pds
January 9th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Last question, I promise.

Can I upgrade from Photopost to vbGallery, and if so, can I move back to Photopost Pro if I find it doesn't fit my needs?

Chuck S
January 9th, 2008, 11:02 AM
You can not upgrade that way. You would need to install vbgallery import photopost pro to it and then decide which one to use.

pds
January 9th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks, I'll try that on my Dev site and see where I want to go with it.

Chuck S
January 9th, 2008, 11:56 AM
not a problem enjoy your day

rdimaggio
January 9th, 2008, 12:16 PM
IMO it really makes more sense to run Pro on your vB board if you have the Pro license, why not have the extra features?

Chuck S
January 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
its all in what people like. Lots of people like the fact that vbgallery admin is in vb admin.

rdimaggio
January 9th, 2008, 01:43 PM
its all in what people like. Lots of people like the fact that vbgallery admin is in vb admin.

I just added a link in my vBadmincp to bring up the PP admincp.

KW802
January 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM
IMO it really makes more sense to run Pro on your vB board if you have the Pro license, why not have the extra features?While I have both I appreciate vBGallery having the templates in the vBulletin system as well as being able to use standard vBulletin plugins for some coding & other options available to me. At least for me the few features that might be in PP Pro but not vBG are not an issue.

If I was starting up a new site with a gallery and it wasn't going to have vB on it then I'd definitely use PP Pro but for all of my vB sites it's only vBG.

pds
January 9th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I have a rather large forum...7000+ users, 1.6M posts.

My biggest concerns are making the forum easy to administer and operate, while keeping process overhead to a minimum.

For that reason I see VBGallery as something I have to look at from an ease of administration standpoint. Not that I have installed it, it hits me that this is the product that used to be owned by vBAdvanced. Granted I have an old version of PPPro (5.X), but it was a pain having to administer things from a separate cp, porting over usergroups etc.

Now that I have vbGallery installed on my dev forum, along with Photopost, I just have to figure out how to port the old PPPro photos over. Then I can decide oif it meets the needs, or I just go straight to PPro 6 on the production forum.

KW802
January 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM
... I just have to figure out how to port the old PPPro photos over. ...For a PP Pro to vBG importer, try here (http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133470). You'll have to hit Zachariah up for any explicit questions about it.

pds
January 9th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Gave it a shot, didn't seem to work. I'll keep playing around, thanks for your help!