PDA

View Full Version : Searchable fields

airliner
November 6th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Hello,

I found this gallery interesting. What I miss in other galleries, almost all of them is to make additional fields searchable. It is a process that should be made easy.
I might find this option in some galleries yes, but the gallery-coders do not go further. I hope that Photoblog does. Here is what I am after.

So, after demo-tour I found that you can add additional fields.
Can I make them searchable?

But that is of course not enough .
this is the second step of my question.

I want to make additional fields for upload that the user has to fill in.
For example, scroll down lists like:

<Airline>
<Type of aircraft>
<Airport>

Now, I made those drop-downs and in those I have lots of airlines and lots of types (can I make additional drop-downs or only text areas?).
Beneath those drop-downs I have a text-area that if something is missing in the drop-downs directly above the user has a possibility to fill in and at the same time add information to the corresponding drop-downs.

In the search-page I have search by category.
Can I, in the search page add those drop-downs so the user can search by <airline>, by <type of aircraft>, <airport> or by any drop-down list I add?
Is that possible?
Is there maybe a mod for it?
Is it something for the next releases that is planned?
If so, I really am about to get Photoblog.

This is important to me because I am about to start a gallery-site for airplanes. Search engine that is good is needed.

Thanx in advance!

Best regards to the Photoblog team and developers!

If not, is there a way to request such feature?
Of course for refund when purchasing the product?

Best regards

Chuck S
November 6th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Our Product is Photopost Pro not PhotoBlog as that is some vb hack I beleive if I remember correctly. There are 6 standard extra fields that are definable in each category that are searchable. Additional extra fields are not searchable. So if you wanted to define normal extra fields and edit the templates to change say a normal input box for the regular extra fields to a dropdown you could do what you want.

The reason most galleries that have additional extra fields are not searchable is it is near impossible to do so. They are stored as an array and in different tables in an array and that array is not really data it is numbers etc. You then need to grab against another table to grab the real data. The way a search is done it searches a specific field for the search string. In the arrays you need to compare one table to another table just to grab any data and convert it to something readable as we print the html to show what is stored so there is no reliable way to search things. I know I tried looking at it awhile ago but could not find a fast way. All queries where unacceptable to try and get results in a timely manner.

airliner
November 6th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Thank you.
Is it then possible to have those 6 extra fields in a search page?
Or just 3 of them or maybe 4.

Thanx.
Great gallery and I will purchase it this evening! :)

airliner
November 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM
So, bought the license :)

Chuck S
November 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Those 6 fields are not shown on the search page although you could possibly edit the search page to include stuff like that. As it is now those 6 extra fields are searched when you enter a search string and the SEARCH ALL FIELDS box is checked. If you setup an extra field and do a search you will see what I mean.

airliner
December 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Okej, thanx.
Well .. I have an example of such gallery:
http://www.g-kraft.com/bilder.php
It is all in swedish but there you can see that all those fields are in the upload as well. So, you may do a search choosing those dropdowns which you need to fill in in the upload page.
And, you do not need to specify a keyword.
I think that would make this gallery perfect! :)

Best regards

Chuck S
December 5th, 2007, 01:23 PM
That is the beauty of php you can change things to how you wish.

airliner
December 6th, 2007, 04:19 AM
yeah, I think you should consider doing an extra mod like so...
Customized as well. Of course for purchase.
that would be great.
Airliners.net uses the same principles.