PDA

View Full Version : PhotoPost Pro versus vbGallery & vB integration

john2k
October 18th, 2007, 01:57 AM
The only benefit of vbGallery that I have found over PhotoPost Pro is that vbGallery uses the vbulletin templates system.

I can't seem to figure out how significant/important it is to have the vbulletin template system used.

What advantage is there in having the script use the vb template system? Is there any real benefit?

Chuck S
October 18th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I guess its a matter of opinion. I personally think the vb templating system is rubbish as they would say over their in england. There are people who love it emmensely. I have owned a vb license for over 7 years. If you have vb you know how their template system is. I think you might want to look at the whole comparison and then make a decision that is based on all the facts and not merely anyone's opinion. Both galleries load the vb header and footer and stylesheet around their frontends. vbgallery admin is within your forum admin panel. Photopost Pro has its own admin so its up to you how much this weighs in your decision. This should help!!

http://www.photopost.com/compare.html

JamRob
November 3rd, 2007, 05:16 PM
where can I buy Photopost vBGallery

also if we already have PhotoPost Pro & want PhotoPost vBGallery can we trade PhotoPost Pro for PhotoPost vBGallery

Chuck S
November 3rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
http://blog.photopost.com/2007/09/25/photopost-php-pro-and-vbgallery-licenses-merged/

I think that is what you want to read ;)

JamRob
November 3rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
thanks chuck I'm really happy to here that PHP Pro and PhotoPost vBGallery Licenses have been merged. This is something I been trying to get you guys to do for a long time now because it makes alot more sinces this way beause when we pay for Photo Post Pro we get everything PhotoPost vBGallery has anywas.
The only reason why we want the PhotoPost vBGallery is because it is Fully integrated with vBulletin so it makes it alot esier to run our site this way.

Videotom
November 29th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Chuck, I'm a newbie at this, so please be patient...

I am currently about to launch live a vbulletin forum for new website we've developed that discusses professional techniques for nude photography.

In certain areas of the forum, I want to have people be able to upload images to be commented on, etc.

My newness with this all leads me to believe that going the route of vbGallery seems best especially since:

- I don't want to have to "learn" another piece of software (I already only partially know vbBulletin),

- The PhotoPost Pro product page indicates that in order to retain your sites look and feel, you need to import your design into PhotoPost Pro. To me, it would seem much easier just to add-on vbGallery to my existing forum.

- At least for now, I'm happy with this "looking" like a forum, and not a photo sharing site, as there's a lot of text-based discussion that we expect to happen.

- However, I may indeed want the additional functionality of Pro in the future.

So, given all of this, I have a few questions:

1. From the software requirements/installation page, it is unclear to me (again as a newbie), if vbGallery has the same general system requirements and installation steps as the Pro version. Is this the case?

2. The Product Details page implies that the merged license allows you to switch back and forth between vbGallery and Pro (but only using one at a time per license): "If you plan to install PhotoPost on a site with an existing vBulletin forum, you can choose to download and install either of our two PhotoPost versions and switch between the two at any time, so there is no need to decide now which version is right for you."

However, the announcement regarding the merged license seems to indicate that you need to choose between one or the other:
http://blog.photopost.com/2007/09/25/photopost-php-pro-and-vbgallery-licenses-merged/
If I purchase the license, will I be able to download BOTH (understanding that I can only install one)?

3. Finally, and relating to #2 above, where in the purchase process will I see the choice between the two?

Thank you so much for your help!

Tom

-

Chuck S
November 29th, 2007, 08:10 AM
You can try either one yes and see which one works best for you. I would personally choose pro since the only difference is way more features than vbgallery and it has its own admin panel. There are many examples of pro and styles we use the styles the same way vbgallery does we load the vb header footer and style. My suggestion is pro but the merged license lets you pick which one you want.

JakeC
November 29th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Chuck,

Was there enough interest in the import script to go from pro to vbgallery? I am leaning toward switching it up because I just cant seem to get the integrated look I would like.

Jake Crause
Baghdad, Iraq

JakeC
November 29th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I guess I could be more specific in what I am unhappy with. It's mainly the separate profile system in pro. I assume in vbgallery the VB profile page would be used (I hope). It is just too confusing for my users to understand that when you are in the gallery, you get one profile, and when you are in the forum, you get another. It just does not have an integrated feel to it.

Jake Crause
Baghdad, Iraq

Videotom
November 29th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Chuck,

Does vbGallery have the general system requirements and installation steps as the Pro version, or does it install like most mods do via vbulletin's web interface?

Thanks,

Tom

Chuck S
November 29th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Not sure what you mean about any import script. I beleive there is an import script here for that.

http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133470

JakeC
November 30th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Not sure what you mean about any import script.

The link you posted about the vBgallery and Photopost Pro license merger had this quote:If there is enough demand, we will offer an import script to import your photos from Pro to vBGallery if anyone wants to switchover.The other link about a possible script seems a little quirky still. Will this script project be the "official" version photopost will hopefully offer? Thanks.

Chuck S
November 30th, 2007, 09:07 AM
You may ask that in that specific import thread. To my knowledge it is suppose to work fine and is the import script you quote.

JakeC
November 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Cool...thanks.

Chuck S
November 30th, 2007, 11:26 AM
No problem Zach should be able to assist you in that thread if you have any issues.