PDA

View Full Version : vbgallery moving to photopost pro is it sensible

ang2el
October 1st, 2007, 11:36 PM
I have vbgallery and want to move photopost pro. I want photopost pro to be integrated with my vbforum.

Guys is it a good decision?

Is there any problem?

Thanks

KW802
October 2nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
Re: http://www.photopost.com/compare.html

Both products have their merits and demerits. If you're already using vBGallery then what features are motivating you to consider switching to PP Pro? The answer to whether it is a good decision or not really depends upon what your expectations are after the upgrade.

ang2el
October 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Thanks KW802 for your help.

Actually I liked some of the feature like

Multimedia/Video Support
Photo Contest Categories
Image Protection System (ability to store photos in protected area)

and other feature that It doesn't have in the compare list.

I am just worried on few things like

It doesn't uses "Uses vBulletin Template System" will it make a difference ?

And I am worrying on few things like I have CMPS and I want random photos in forum and cmps page will that be possible with photopost pro?

Thenn I would be think for for Photopost pro, I would be happy if anyone would guide me whether to go for photopost pro or not.

Thanks in advance.

ang2el
October 2nd, 2007, 10:31 PM
Guys any words....

Are you (vbgallery owner) moving to Photopost Pro?

ang2el
October 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
I was just curiou how many of us who has vbgallery is moving to photopost pro?

KW802
October 2nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
[ Duplicate threads merged ]

Multimedia/Video SupportPP Pro has it as a stock feature while vBGallery has the feature through a hack.
Photo Contest CategoriesTo my knowledge I have not seen anything similar released yet for vBGallery so PP Pro is the only choice for that one.
Image Protection System (ability to store photos in protected area)There are varying degrees of protection (eg: htaccess, indirect linking, etc.) but PP Pro has the slight lead for 'out-of-the-box' protection.
It doesn't uses "Uses vBulletin Template System" will it make a difference ?It really depends on how comfortable you are working with different template system. If you have never made any changes to your vBGallery templates then the odds are pretty good that you'll never modify the PP Pro templates either so it'd be a bit of a moot issue. If, however, you have made changes and are only semi-comfortable with making changes and like vB's style manager then working with the PP Pro might be seen as a bit of a learning curve. If you're comfortable with making file edits and know HTML basics then you'll be fine working with the PP Pro templates; your editing just won't be through the integrated vB editing system.

And I am worrying on few things like I have CMPS and I want random photos in forum and cmps page will that be possible with photopost pro?I know there are some modules for CMPS but it's been a bit since I ran PP Pro on a production site so I don't know the current state of the PP Pro CMPS modules. Hopefully somebody running both PP Pro and the CMPS modules will chime in.

Thenn I would be think for for Photopost pro, I would be happy if anyone would guide me whether to go for photopost pro or not.It would be hard for somebody to give a flat out answer of "Go ahead & switch to PP Pro!" or "No, stay with vBGallery!" since you're already up & running. It really would be a disservice to you for somebody to make either of those statements. If you were just starting off and had no gallery already installed and were buying a new license under the merged license purchase system then it sounds like PP Pro would've been your choice for those features you listed above. But, since you are already running vBGallery, then it's really going to come down to how much do you want those features versus how comfortable you would be running the conversion script(s) and working in a non-vB environment for the items such as the templates and the PP Pro control panel.

ang2el
October 2nd, 2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks KW802 I guesss I will have to stick with vbgallery.

KW802
October 3rd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks KW802 I guesss I will have to stick with vbgallery.You don't "have to stick" with vBGallery if you know that you want those PP Pro features. Once you get past the conversion then it'd just be a matter of getting comfortable with the PP Pro system.

If you've got a merged license, or upgraded your vBGallery license to a PP Pro license, you could always install PP Pro in a test spot (eg: http://www.yoursite.com/photopost) and check it out to see if you'd be comfortable with switching to it. That way if the conversion goes smooth and you're comfortable working in the PP Pro environment then you can just disable your vBGallery installation and point your menus to the PP Pro installation instead. Trying to have both vBGallery and PP Pro in the same folder (eg: http://www.yoursite.com/gallery), though, would not be advised since you'd want to make sure that none of your current vBGallery files are affected if you decide not to switch over after installing PP Pro.

Being able to try out both packages is one of the nice things about the merged license.

ditchmonkey
October 15th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Since vbgallery uses vbulletin templates, then it cold also use the same custom vb code I have developed for my forum? Is that true?

KW802
October 15th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Since vbgallery uses vbulletin templates, then it cold also use the same custom vb code I have developed for my forum? Is that true?Yes, but with a disclaimer: Without knowing what the code is/does it is possible that you are doing something that can't be inherited by vBGallery but in general since vBGallery uses vBulletin entirely as it's back-end system then most vBulletin custom code can be used as well.