PDA

View Full Version : Video Download Speeds

Tennespeedy
September 29th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Just looking for some advice and unbiased opinions here. I doubt it's a Photopost issue. When a user (or me) download or play a video file from the gallery, it is super slow compared to other sites that have Photopost. Actually about half the speed or less to be more clear. Of course my host said it was a problem somewhere between my comp and the site and dedicated hosting instead of shared would not help. :rolleyes: hmmm...yeah...OK!

Seriously, should I move to another host or what, and can anyone recommend a really good one. The site is not enjoyable when the download speed is pathetic like it is. Also, being slow just kills the rep of the gallery and not many will want to use it because it's this way.

Chuck S
September 29th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Well I get what your host is saying. There can be many factors contributing to slow down most times all deal with servers or connections to the servers and your actual connect speed to the internet.

I am with westhost.com and they are great IMO and there are other great hosts out there I am here.

Tennespeedy
September 29th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Yeah, it's confusing. My "upload to site" speeds are really fast most of the time. Probably faster than most places i've been. It's just the download part. I have Bluehost presently.

Chuck S
September 29th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah upload to the server sounds like its a decent connection if it uploads fast. Download should be faster though on any site especially on broadband.

Zachariah
September 29th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I tested the site @ CA, USA

198KB min
210KB avj
368KB peak

Inline players would be good for you so that the visitor can watch as it downloads. Is there such a beast Chuck?

Tennespeedy
September 29th, 2007, 12:01 PM
My dowloads from there start out at about 180-200 kbps and drop off quickly to around 65-70 kbps and hold steady for the rest of the download. That's from TN, USA with cable connection.

Chuck S
September 29th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Such a Beast Zach?

I suggest the inline player as well