PDA

View Full Version : Thumbnails are not generating after upload.

BumpStop
August 25th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Hi,

I've looked long and hard in the forums, too many possibilities. My site is not uploading/processing photos correctly. This just recently started and I haven't change code to my site for months now. I had a successful upload yesterday, but I'm assuming a DB error or my isp changed something.

When I or a user upload a photo, we don't get an error or blank screen, it seems to process fine, but doesn't display. The gallery shows the photo name instead of the image, and when you click on it to expand, it does the same. The photo only displays in "print view" mode.

I ran some tests, thinking rebuilding thumbnails for that particular directory would work, but now I don't have any thumbs showing for that directory and I've seemed to make it worse.

Any ideas?

Example directory that I hosed up.
http://www.bumpstop.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/522

Thanks,
Garrett

Chuck S
August 25th, 2007, 09:08 AM
You would need to verify in the global options and storage options that your urls and server paths are correct maybe your host changed them

BumpStop
August 25th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Hi Chuck,

So, after some sleep, I checked the permissions on the thumbs and all the thumbs changed to 440. I set them to 666 and they work fine now.

Bigger question is, how do I make it write the correct permissions moving forward?

Thanks,
Garrett

Chuck S
August 25th, 2007, 12:49 PM
You would need to contact your webhost and have them correct this. The default permissions for files wrote to the server should be 644 or 666

BumpStop
August 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks. I will contact them. What process is writing them? I need to have specifics ready.

Thanks,
Garrett

Chuck S
August 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
You need to explain to them that files created from the upload need to be set to 644 or 666 and right now your server is setting them to say 400 so they are non web accessible

BumpStop
August 26th, 2007, 09:02 PM
After some more investigation, looks like it's the image processing that is not setting permissions.

I tested and checked the directories.

The original image uploads fine and permissions are correct. It's the medium and the thumbnails that are not set correctly.

Is it safe assume that the image processing (GD2) is writing these wrong?

Is that what I tell my host?

Thanks,
Garrett

Chuck S
August 27th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Sorry that is an incorrect assumption. The software will set a file to 666 if it can be set to 666 otherwise the file is going to take permission from the serverr

Your host must fix their server as instructed. We have seen this issue over and over again with one or two hosts its always the same hosts

BumpStop
August 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

I justed wanted to close this ticket for the benefit of everyone else having similar issues.

My host did resolve the issue as they patched the system which didn't allow the scripts to set the right permissions.

Thanks Chuck for the insight.

Garrett

Chuck S
August 28th, 2007, 11:28 AM
No problem enjoy