PDA

View Full Version : POWWEB Hosting?

SoCalrailFan
June 4th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Anyone here using that POWWEB for their hosting? I was just informed by my hosting comapny today that's my 2gb's of data stored in the database was not too kosher. They want an additional $100 a month for that.

But then I found out my attachments and gallery photos didn't need to be in the database at all, I guess.

I was looking at this POWWEB and it almost seems to good to be true. Any insight? Maybe it's time for a change.

Chuck S
June 4th, 2007, 07:03 PM
well powweb is only good for a site thats starting out. They limit mysql connections to a max per hour so they can cram all those accounts onto the least amount of servers possible

Try westhost.com

dayo
June 22nd, 2007, 06:06 AM
I run my site on Powweb and will agree with Chuck.

The service has really gone downhill over the past few months and yes, they are cramming several accounts onto the least number of servers possible with a resulting hit in performance.

In case you haven't got the message, avoid powweb like the plague. It is a 3rd rate host. I will be moving on as soon as my time runs out.

Zachariah
June 22nd, 2007, 09:49 AM
I took a look at this issue with SoCalrailFan, and forgot to post.

We moved 1.7 gigs of vBulletin attachments out of the database and on to the file system.

The web host is happy now.
w00t :D

ssandgirls
July 5th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Chuck is right, A forum I Admin'ed at some years back we had to change hosts due to Powweb limiting our DB connections so heavily.

Definately wouldnt recommend them unless you have a tiny forum.

dayo
July 5th, 2007, 02:41 AM
I just transferred my tiny forum out of Powweb.

By the way, you guys left there should visit www.powweb.com/vote and perhaps you can add emough votes to convince them to install jhead so you can display exif data.

With a host like westhost, you should be able to just install it yourself. I didn't choose westhost as I wanted to experiment with a full VPS but will be going there if I decide a full VPS is OTT for me.

Of course I didn't have to participate in a popularity contest to get a 50kb binary installed on a vps.