PDA

View Full Version : Questions before buying Photopost Classifieds

tomzl
May 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
I would like to know if it is possible to display new ads to users since their last login the same way that vBulletin does. On my forum I have it set so that users can see which topics have new posts since their last visit to the page. Is this possible with Photopost Classifieds?

Is it possible to force users to set a price for their ads?

Can additional mandatory fields like Price, condition, color, year etc. be added to the ads?

One of my concerns is also safety. How safe are Photopost Classifieds? I see quite a few parts of the Photopost page with dead links which doesn't leave a good impression. It appears the webpage itself has been somewhat neglected so I fear the same applies for the software. Have any users had any problems?

Can any of the existing licence holders add their experience with this software? It takes some time before you notice all the good and bad features of the software so I would appreciate your feedback. Was there anything you didn't like, did you discover any cool features, wish the software offered something but it doesn't?

Thank you for your help.:)

Chuck S
May 22nd, 2007, 08:20 PM
I would like to know if it is possible to display new ads to users since their last login the same way that vBulletin does. On my forum I have it set so that users can see which topics have new posts since their last visit to the page. Is this possible with Photopost Classifieds?

Classifieds does not do it quite like a forum no. On the index page there is an arrow which highlights to a different color which indicates new posts since last visit but not quite multi level like a forum

Is it possible to force users to set a price for their ads?

Not by default but an easy template edit to make it work

Can additional mandatory fields like Price, condition, color, year etc. be added to the ads?

You can have unlimited additional fields per category however as priorly noted above the only mandatory fields are title description and zipcode

One of my concerns is also safety. How safe are Photopost Classifieds? I see quite a few parts of the Photopost page with dead links which doesn't leave a good impression. It appears the webpage itself has been somewhat neglected so I fear the same applies for the software. Have any users had any problems?

The program is quite safe and any dead links on our site are no indication on the software since it is not that software. I am not sure what dead links your talking about but I will be glad if you list them to pass them along. Remember depending on where you are at on our site there are links to alot of sites and we have no control over other peoples sites nor do we police them so if it is not a photopost link then there might be a problem with someone elses site. I can gladly pass along any dead links and get them removed

tomzl
May 23rd, 2007, 06:21 AM
A few examples of dead/wrong links:

On the page http://www.photopost.com/class/sites_frame.pl?http://www.viperalley.com/classifieds/index.php the links Admin demo and Sites in Action are dead. The link Purchase opens in the wrong frame so you cannot see the contents properly.

The page http://www.photopost.com/action/index.php which features sites in action has dead images. The same applies when you click on any of the categories to see a list of sites. Not to mention that several sites from the list are no longer in existance. I know they are not a part of your webpage but it doesn't require much effort to check if all of them are still active, let's say on a monthly basis.

These are just a few mistakes I noticed during my first visit. I would expect a more up to date website from a company which sells software especially since most potential customers probably click on the link sites in action to see how the software even operates.

From reading the forum, I understand that there used to be a demo version of the Classifieds available (the dead link is probably left from those days). Since it has been removed, I get the impression that someone didn't bother fixing it and simply removed the link.

On the forum, when a visitor goes to the Suggestions sub-forum, he can see a sticky topic about Classifieds 2.5 Beta 1 being released. Then he goes to the Installation & Upgrades sub-forum and see another sticky about Classifieds 2.6 being released. Announcements should be in one sub-forum or old ones should be deleted alltogether.

What is even worse is that on the main Classifieds page http://www.photopost.com/class/ it says that version 2.0 has been released (from the forum I understand 2.6 is the latest) and points to a post on the forum from 2004!

I don't want to be over critical but I get the impression things are not that well organized but simply there to provide the minimum that is required. That is why I have a few concerns about the security as well. The latest version 2.6 has been available from December 2006 from what I understand. Most programs I use issue new versions with bug and security fixes. It strikes me as odd that Photopost does not do the same. Hackers sooner or later find a security hole so staying up to date with security patches is essential. How does Photopost take care of this problem?

Chuck S
May 23rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Actually the latest version is 2.61 and we do regular updates several times a year

The link you post is very active and works fine but the next link I see missing images as well and will pass that along probally a path input wrong in a config

As stated that is not the program itself but site maintenance here which is left to the owner who is not as diligent. You can view site examples to see examples of how the software works