PDA

View Full Version : Need to know which is the best option in Gallerys

lighting90
April 22nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
Okay, here is the story to the question...
We originally had VBGallery installed on our forum, but during forum software updates and server moves, it was taken off by our tech person, but the gallery pictures etc are still present in their own files.
Now our tech guy has gone to ground, and as such we the site owners don't have a copy of the original software, but really need to get the gallery back up and running.

So the question is, can we install a new copy of VBGallery and will it pick up the old gallery pictures and automatically bring them all back in.

The second question that has confused me a little, I was looking at the comparision between VBgallery and Photopost, in the bullet points it clear states that Photpost supports video while VB doesn't. Yet in the more detailed blurb, it suggests that both can do this. Can you confirm if this is true, or is it a case of both uploads, but only one will display correctly.

Third question, if we went with photopost, would that when installed pick up the old gallery content?

Lastly, is it easy for a simple person like myself to install photopost into the vBulletin forum, and have the thumbnails at the bottom of the forums. Or is it a case of better sticking with VBGallery ofr ease of installation.

Chuck S
April 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
You can not pick up old gallery photos without a database backup and the files

vbgallery does not support video but there is a hack you can install outside this company where you can display video

I guess you need figure out what you have to see if you can recover anything and you need to investigate who is the license owner because if your not a license owner you need to purchase one

Shelby
April 22nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
I cannot recommending the vb gallery software myself. My own personal experience has shown the support for this product to be significantly underwhelming. As for the PhotoPost software itself, I cannot say as I have no experience with it. It is listed as the more feature packed software, but I have little experience to make any judgments.

lighting90
April 23rd, 2007, 11:48 PM
Chuck S

Do you have a list of files that would need to be still on the server to allow us to pick up what was there before.

The information is still in the current database, the only thing missing is the files which would have been embedded with in VB itself. Everything that would have been in the seperate gallery folder is still present.

With regards to who holds the license, we supect that even though we paid for it, the tech guy put it in his name. As we can no longer get hold of our tech guy, we have no way of confirming this, and it was purchased when it was still been sold by the previous people. So are working on the principle of needing to purchase a new license. Hence why we are looking at which option is best for us.

Shelby,
I had already noted your comments, as you seem to make them every chance you get, and were not really relevant to the questions I was asking.

Chuck S
April 24th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I can tell you what name the owner is if you list a domain so you know whether to purchase your own license.

As far as being able to import anything or make things magically reappear you can not do so without the having the actual images on disk. In vbgallery like Photopost Pro you have a mysql insert which corresponds to an image file on disk which is usually located under your gallery files directory. If that directory no longer exists your are not going to be able to get anything back and as such would have to do a brand new install

lighting90
April 24th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Our website is www.landrovernet.com

Chuck S
April 24th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Do the database tables exist and do the files directory exist?

lighting90
April 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Right, sorry for taken so long to get back to you.

We do have the software as installed, in it's folder, on the server.

Te tables are not present in the current database, but are still present in the back up version of the database. So it will be a matter of learning now how to work all that back into the current database... (never played with the database before, only backed it up... so will have a play with it on our test forum site first... )

Thanks for the information todate.