PDA

View Full Version : Exactly how does PhotoPost share a user database with SMF?

ChadsMach1
March 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
In regards to PhotoPost classifieds using existing forum login from SMF, exactly how does this work? Does it actually share the same database table or does it import user names from the other to create a user name in a second database when a user name is created in the first?

I am concerned what exactly happens to users when they delete in one another? Do they automatically synchronize themselves? Lets say user John signs up under SMF, he automatically now has a account under PhotoPost with the same user name, correct? What if John deletes this account from PhotoPost (I assume account deletion is a option in PhotoPost), does this change propagate back to SMF?

Chuck S
March 12th, 2007, 07:45 AM
we automatically use the user from smf tables. there is no duplicate record anywhere else John is John in one place the forum and his login is carried over to Photopost.

busterw
February 26th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I have a question about this as well as I'm considering getting Photopost Pro to run on SMF 1.1.4.

During the install, how do you tell it the name of the SMF table that currently contains all of the users. In other words, obviously you'll have to tell it to use the SMF forum database. Do you have the option to tell it what table within that database to use or is the install gonna already know to look for the table called smf_members?

Thanks!

Chuck S
February 26th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Hello

We query the proper database tables automatically. You run the install and input the correct database and integration type and answer all questions. Once installed we grab and authenticate users as they login based off data in the proper smf tables. Hope that helps.

busterw
February 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM
OK, so if I tell it I'm installed for SMF, it's gonna automatically know that my members list is in the smf_members table?

Chuck S
February 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM
yes that is correct.

busterw
February 26th, 2008, 01:41 PM
OK, great. Last question. I see some people talk about a cookie configuration during the install process. Is there a value that will have to be entered udinrg install if using this on an SMF forum and if so, what should I expect to enter.

Actually, one more question, will there be some type of Admin panel for Photospost that shows up once a person that's an admin logs in or will it display somewhere in the main SMF forum admin area?

Thanks yet again!

Chuck S
February 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM
on install on step 4 you must place the name of your smf cookie so we know what cookie to create and read on login.

The admin panel is in photopost and there will be an admin link displayed when logged in on the photopost menubar

busterw
February 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
OK, that makes sense. I spose it will be clearer what step 4 is once we actually buy it and start the install.

Now will the install modify my SMF index.template.php file to include a "Gallery" option in the menu for the forum or will we have to somehow manually create that item in the menu?

Thanks!

Chuck S
February 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM
no we do not modify smf code in any way. we integrate with smf how we advertise using their login and stylesheet on the gallery

ThePharaoh
November 28th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Where is this "cookie" located, exactly and what does it look like?

- Mark

Chuck S
November 28th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Your cookie settings are in SMF you need to make sure cookies are set to global and I beleive the actual cookie name is in the smf config file which is possibly called settings.php? Anyway on step 4 of install you select smf and then answer all the proper info on that page to integrate.

videogamemojo
March 8th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Is it necessary for Photopost and SMF to share a database or can they be set up separately and still communicate?

Chuck S
March 8th, 2009, 10:56 PM
They can be in separate databases but you must have access to communicate with the smf database if it is going to work

videogamemojo
March 9th, 2009, 02:50 AM
10-4 it is set up and working thanks.

Chuck S
March 9th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Glad to assist.