PDA

View Full Version : Usergroup permissions with VB3 and Photopost

Paul Shields
March 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
I was wondering if Photopost would allow the following scenario:

On our VB3 forum we have a usergroup called 'Adult' which allows access to a forum that is fur members 18+.

Is it possible for Photopost member's galleries to be linked to that usergroup so that anybody viewing the gallery who wasn't in that group would be able to see the contents? This is how we originally had it with SMF + Coppermine, and it will be a important requirement once we migrate fully to Photopost. It looks like I can create categories that follow usergroup permissions, but that is not adequate for what we are trying to do.

In other words, are member's galleries visible to all or can VB3 usergroup restrictions be applied?

Chuck S
March 2nd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Any category is restricted by usergroup via the permissions you apply even the members gallery.

Paul Shields
March 4th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Ok - thanks for the quick reply Chuck. I must admit to still being a bit confused about this though. After playing around with permissions I still can't quite work out how to do the following scenario:

A person creates a personal album in the member galleries. By default, the albums are visible to all usergroups. If that person wants to create an album that's only visible to a particular usergroup (e.g. 'adult') then I can't see how that album can be hidden from view as there is no way of applying permissions to the album itself (correct me if I'm wrong).

If I create a new category and change the usergroup access permissions to only allow viewing/posting by those in the 'adult' usergroup then this works fine. However, it seems that I can not create albums inside this category. Thus, if our members were to upload material that is only visible to specific usergroups then they have to place the images in the specific categories - i.e. they can't create their own albums with appropriate usergroup permissions. If they do upload images into an album then it's visible to the general membership.

Please let me know that I've got it all wrong!

Chuck S
March 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM
A person creates a personal album in the member galleries. By default, the albums are visible to all usergroups. If that person wants to create an album that's only visible to a particular usergroup (e.g. 'adult') then I can't see how that album can be hidden from view as there is no way of applying permissions to the album itself (correct me if I'm wrong).

Personal albums have the same viewing permissions as the members gallery so you need to set the members gallery to only be viewable by this usergroup you state.

Paul Shields
March 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Right - so what you're saying is that to do usergroup permissions on an album we need to apply those permissions on the members gallery. This is pretty poor really. It means that every album under 'members gallery' will have the same permissions? We can't have someone create an album that is open to the general membership, and create another album that's restricted by usergroup permissions.

Is it possible to create other members gallery category that has restricted usergroup access, and under which members can create albums? Or do all albums need to be under 'members gallery'?

Chuck S
March 4th, 2007, 06:14 PM
User albums are user's albums not categories you create or set permissions for therefore their permissions come from the members gallery which is the one cat you can not delete and the albums are normally viewed under the members gallery which is the category they get master permissions from if they are public. The user sets whether it is public or private. If it is private it is password protected and only those the user gives the password to can view it.

We can't have someone create an album that is open to the general membership, and create another album that's restricted by usergroup permissions.

Users can create personal albums that are public or private meaning password protected. They dont create anything that is restricted by usergroup