PDA

View Full Version : Spam control and support question

richrf
February 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Hi,

I am shopping around for some classifieds and auction software to develop www.links.com. I have a few questions regarding your software:

1) Do you have any recommendation regarding an associated bulletin board. I see that you work with both vBulletin and phpbb, but you chose vBulletin for your own use. Does this indicate a preference for vBulletin?

2) I will require extra edit logic for classifieds. Is it possible to incorporate customized edits in your program. If so, how is this accomplished?

3) What type of spam control measures are available as built-in features or plugins? Is there a way to incorporate plugins like Bad Behavior or Akismet? Links.com gets really badly smacked and I think it is going to get much worse unless I have very good spam control. BB and Akismet currently do an excellent job of controlling the spam.

4) Are there developer resources available in Chicago? If so, what is the best way to contact them.

5) Are there any known security holes in the software?

Thanks for any info that you can provide.

Rich

Chuck S
February 16th, 2007, 10:43 AM
1) Do you have any recommendation regarding an associated bulletin board. I see that you work with both vBulletin and phpbb, but you chose vBulletin for your own use. Does this indicate a preference for vBulletin?

ABOUT 40% OF OUR CUSTOMER BASE IS VBULLETIN INTEGRATED SITES SO YES WE WOULD RECOMMEND VBULLETIN OVER PHPBB GREATLY

2) I will require extra edit logic for classifieds. Is it possible to incorporate customized edits in your program. If so, how is this accomplished?

THE PROGRAM IS NOT ENCRYPTED SO YOU ARE FREE TO MODIFY AS YOU CHOOSE.

3) What type of spam control measures are available as built-in features or plugins? Is there a way to incorporate plugins like Bad Behavior or Akismet? Links.com gets really badly smacked and I think it is going to get much worse unless I have very good spam control. BB and Akismet currently do an excellent job of controlling the spam.

WE USE A SIMPLE PHP MAIL STRING AND BASICALLY THE ONLY EMAIL ALLOWED ON OUR SOFTWARE ON THE FRONT END IS THE CONTACT SELLER LINK AND THAT IS SHOWN TO REGISTERED USERS OR USERS ALLOWED TO VIEW THE ADS. THUS IF YOU SHOW THE ADS TO GUESTS YOU CAN LET SPAMMERS USE THE SOFTWARE.

4) Are there developer resources available in Chicago? If so, what is the best way to contact them.

NONE THAT I KNOW OF BUT THEN I DONT FOLLOW THOSE TYPES OF RESOURCES SINCE I AM NEVER IN NEED TO THAT ;)

5) Are there any known security holes in the software?

NONE REPORTED AT ALL

richrf
February 16th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the response.

Rich