PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth Change

Tom-E
January 21st, 2007, 07:02 PM
Hello!

I've been on the fence about adding PhotoPost to our Vbulletin forum for quite a while.

My considers are with bandwidth and server CPU usage.

The forum has about 3000 active (visited atleast in the last month) members.

We get 2500 new posts a day.

It's a skateboard site, so members are obviously keen on posting and sharing videos.

My concern is, in your best judgement, how much of a hit will our server start to take with this software?

Also. I am very interested to find out if it would be possible to use this script, but disallow uploads to our server and somehow use it with Youtube, Google Video and other embed-able video hosts?

This would be nice since currently it is how users share their videos anyways, and having such a nice organized system would definitely please a lot of people, and cause no extra stress on our part.

Thanks for your help!

Michael P
January 22nd, 2007, 08:40 AM
It's impossible to gauge the bandwidth increase you would experience because so many factors go into that number - the number of images, the size of the images (or videos), the number of people viewing the images (posters is one indicator, but the number of "guests" or viewers is usually much higher).

There really is no way to give you any kind of indication of what you can expect; but you have many controls in our products to help limit or open up your site to less or more traffic (limiting size of uploads, limiting who can see the uploads, etc).

No, you cannot link to content hosted offsite; so that wouldn't work.

Tom-E
January 22nd, 2007, 05:17 PM
Understandable.

But could you give me any numbers at all. A range, even if its a big range.

You know more than me, your rough guess is all I want.

You say "You cannot link to content hosted offsite".
As a developer how hard you believe it would be to add only Youtube videos?