PDA

View Full Version : Question about speed issue...

aquariumpros
January 21st, 2007, 03:34 PM
Hello.

We're presently running a site with:
vBPortal 3.6.1
vBulletin 3.6.2 (security patched to 3.6.4)
Photopost PHP Pro 5.62
Photopost Classifieds 2.6
Photopost Reviewpost 3.32

The site runs very quickly - and without problems, however I have noticed recently that Photopost products are much slower then the rest of the site.

When opening the index pages for any of the 3 Photopost products - the page loads completely in ~2 seconds (including the vB header, etc.). When a product/ad/photo or an individual category is clicked - that page takes 10-13 seconds to load. Even our main portal page which is pulling data from the Classifieds and the Gallery as well as many other sections of our site loads within 3 seconds.

My Classifieds and Reviews are on their own separate databases ~ and the Gallery is on the same DB as our vB installation - same results on all 3 installations though...(re. the 10-13 second load time).

I've optimized the databases and everything I can think of - with no change.

Anyone with any suggestions to get this to speed up? (ie. do I have something turned on within the Photopost software that's causing this)...:confused:

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

TIA,

Chuck S
January 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Well they should load slower than say vb thread which is not pulling quite as much data. Our products are highly configurable and there are many things to turn on or off to help speed. I would suggest reading this thread to familiarize yourself with those things and try some things meantioned in that thread

http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116430

aquariumpros
January 22nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks Chuck - I had already seen that thread and none of those help in any way. (I always search prior to asking questions).

I completely understand that pages will load more slowly - however 13-15 seconds to load an ad/photo page is a bit much - especially when the vBPortal pages load faster (with many more queries from multiple integrated software and DB's) & even the main page of either Classifieds or Gallery which also have more queries due to pulling Random/Recent/Most Popular/Users/Recent Comments/Most Viewed - and those pages load in ~3 seconds.

??

Chuck S
January 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
I highly doubt that turning off some of those options does not help with the page generation times. Turning off things like the next prev photos in showphoto options has a significant impact.

You can post links also for us to look at the page and see how long it takes to load for us.

My pages all load with everything on at about .13-.20 seconds which is less than a second to generate

aquariumpros
January 22nd, 2007, 10:24 PM
I highly doubt that turning off some of those options does not help with the page generation times. Turning off things like the next prev photos in showphoto options has a significant impact.

You can post links also for us to look at the page and see how long it takes to load for us.

My pages all load with everything on at about .13-.20 seconds which is less than a second to generate
http://www.aquariumpros.ca/pp-classifieds/index.php
http://www.aquariumpros.ca/photopost/index.php

Opposed to any category or product page @ ~ 10-13 seconds

Chuck S
January 23rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
Looking at your site the stuff that is taking long to load is all that vb stuff around our program. You can try turning off the vb3 integration and see how things are presented speed wise. You can also edit the pp-inc.php file and set the $showsqldebug to 2 and it will print out of query timing

aquariumpros
January 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Chuck,

All the other vBPortal pages load quickly - and the delays are exclusive to the Photopost applications.

This really makes no sense to me - maybe it will to you (thanks again)...

Here are the results of the $showsqldebug

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/pp-classifieds/index.php

Page generated in 3.13118 seconds with 10 queries
1: SELECT varname,setting FROM pp_settings (0.00073 sec)
2: SELECT timestamp,statscache,catcache,catprops,calcache,recentcache,randomcache,popularcache FROM pp_cache WHERE id=1 (0.00106 sec)
3: SELECT u.userid,u.username,u.email,u.password,u.usergroupid,u.timezoneoffset,s.sessionhash,u.salt,s.lastactivity,u.membergroupids FROM user u LEFT JOIN session s ON s.userid=u.userid WHERE u.userid=1 (0.00061 sec)
4: SELECT groupid,cpaccess,modaccess,uploadsize,uploads,comments,editpho,editposts,reqmod,highlight,bold,italic,payment,uplimit FROM pp_usergroups WHERE groupid=6 LIMIT 1 (0.00025 sec)
5: SELECT symbol,type FROM pp_currency WHERE code = 'CAD' (0.00016 sec)
6: SELECT id FROM pp_products WHERE approved=0 (0.00504 sec)
7: REPLACE INTO pp_iponline (userid,ipaddr,date,what,item) VALUES ('ajx22','156.34.87.3','1169576889','index','') (0.06737 sec)
8: DELETE FROM pp_iponline WHERE date < 1169576289 (0.00020 sec)
9: SELECT cat,laston FROM pp_laston WHERE userid='1' (0.01077 sec)
10: SELECT userid,date FROM pp_iponline ORDER BY date DESC (0.00037 sec)

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php/product/8262/limit/recent

Page generated in 1.17022 seconds with 23 queries
1: SELECT varname,setting FROM pp_settings (0.00066 sec)
2: SELECT timestamp,statscache,catcache,catprops,calcache FROM pp_cache WHERE id=1 (0.00073 sec)
3: SELECT u.userid,u.username,u.email,u.password,u.usergroupid,u.timezoneoffset,s.sessionhash,u.salt,s.lastactivity,u.membergroupids FROM user u LEFT JOIN session s ON s.userid=u.userid WHERE u.userid=1 (0.00064 sec)
4: SELECT groupid,cpaccess,modaccess,uploadsize,uploads,comments,editpho,editposts,reqmod,highlight,bold,italic,payment,uplimit FROM pp_usergroups WHERE groupid=6 LIMIT 1 (0.00025 sec)
5: SELECT id,user,userid,cat,date,title,price,description,keywords,bigimage,bigimage2,bigimage3,bigimage4,bigimage5,bigimage6,views,approved,rating,extra1,extra2,extra3,extra4,extra5,extra6,disporder,status,isauction,highbidder,maxbid,numbids,enddate,zipcode,currency,buyit,reserve FROM pp_products WHERE id='8262' (0.00046 sec)
6: SELECT u.username,u.homepage,u.usertitle,u.posts,u.joindate,uf.field2,s.host,t.signature,avatar.avatarpath, NOT ISNULL(customavatar.filedata) AS hascustomavatar,u.avatarrevision FROM user u LEFT JOIN userfield uf ON uf.userid=u.userid LEFT JOIN session s ON s.userid=u.userid LEFT JOIN usertextfield t ON t.userid=u.userid LEFT JOIN avatar AS avatar ON (avatar.avatarid = u.avatarid) LEFT JOIN customavatar AS customavatar ON (customavatar.userid = u.userid) WHERE u.userid=4410 LIMIT 1 (0.00049 sec)
7: REPLACE INTO pp_laston VALUES(35,1,1169576851) (0.00017 sec)
8: SELECT catname,template,extra1,extra2,extra3,extra4,extra5,extra6,thumbnail,numextra FROM pp_categories where id='35' (0.00020 sec)
9: REPLACE INTO pp_laston VALUES('',1,1169576851) (0.00009 sec)
10: SELECT id,bigimage,cat,userid,approved FROM pp_products WHERE approved=1 ORDER BY date DESC (0.00887 sec)
11: REPLACE INTO pp_iponline (userid,ipaddr,date,what,item) VALUES ('ajx22','156.34.87.3','1169576851','showproduct','35') (0.00032 sec)
12: SELECT id FROM pp_favorites WHERE product='8262' AND userid='1' (0.00841 sec)
13: SELECT id FROM pp_notify WHERE userid=1 AND product='8262' LIMIT 1 (0.09333 sec)
14: SELECT id,username,userid,date,comment,approved FROM pp_comments WHERE product=8262 AND approved=1 ORDER BY date ASC (0.00046 sec)
15: SELECT symbol,type FROM pp_currency WHERE code = 'CAD' (0.00019 sec)
16: UPDATE pp_products SET views=views+1 WHERE id=8262 (0.00022 sec)
17: SELECT rating,count(*) FROM pp_feedback WHERE foruser=4410 GROUP BY rating (0.00062 sec)
18: SELECT data FROM datastore WHERE title = 'userstats' (0.00014 sec)
19: SELECT SUM(views) as totalviews, count(*) as totalproducts FROM pp_products (0.00509 sec)
20: SELECT count(*) FROM pp_comments (0.00010 sec)
21: SELECT amt_sold,ads_sold FROM pp_stats (0.00012 sec)
22: SELECT cat,id,title,views FROM pp_products ORDER BY views DESC LIMIT 125 (0.00590 sec)
23: SELECT id,user,userid,cat,title,bigimage,views, id*0+RAND() as rand_col FROM pp_products WHERE approved=1 AND status=0 AND cat IN (35) ORDER BY rand_col DESC LIMIT 17 (0.00114 sec)

Chuck S
January 23rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
As you can see none of our queries are slow. From what I am seeing it is taking a long time to generate the vb side of the page as the Photopost content comes up very quick once the vb stuff is generated. Try turning off the vb3 enhanced switches in edit integration and see how fast things load.

aquariumpros
January 23rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Definitely fast once integration is turned off - but this still makes no sense.

If vB loads fast on every other part of the site - why would it be so slow to load only within Photopost products? Obviously it's somehow tied to Photopost not vB...?

Chuck S
January 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Turning on vb integration only pulls the header navbar footer of vb. There is something on your vb side that is loading slow over Photopost. This is above Photopost as Photopost is loading fast which is shown by your query timing.

Therefore it is up to you to go one by one disabling some of your forum sideblocks in vbportal like google etc till you find the one that is stalling the page.

aquariumpros
January 23rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Chuck,

What I'm saying is that vB pulls the same EVERYWHERE on the site.

It pulls the same blocks on the index page of Photopost as it does within the individual Category or photo/product/ad page...so how/why would it ONLY cause a problem there? The /index page loads quickly with the vB content...it's ONLY within the Category or individual product/photo/ad display that it the problem.

I understand that it's not Photopost directly - but it's directly related to Photopost in the end.

Chuck S
January 23rd, 2007, 02:29 PM
As I stated you need to diagnose which of those external blocks are slowing down the page and turning off block by block on the sidebar would be where to start. Turning off the vb3 integration and your query timing posted above shows the issue is not that of Photopost. Like I said something in those blocks is causing the slow down so I would start with google and other things which pull from external sites as that would be your best bet where to start.

aquariumpros
January 23rd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Chuck,

Not trying to argue here - BUT these blocks are only stalling on certain Photopost pages, and NOT on others. Why or how would this be?

I have turned off the only 2 blocks that pull external content - (google and amazon.com) - no change.

ALL other blocks are local content.

(Main menu block, Who's Online, 4 static ads, Buddy list and vB Search).

Chuck S
January 23rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
I can not say what it is hense the idea of turning off certain options and finding our what it is that is interfering. I think turning off your vb3 enhancements clearly show the issue is not one of Photopost. Coupled by the query timing you posted and the page generation times without vb there is something in your vb setup that is freaking out when it hits certain pages although when I go to those pages the timing is not as long as you state. Most times it is 4-6 seconds for anything in Photopost with your vb stuff on. The hold up is because of the vb stuff generating. Once your vb stuff is done Photopost loads up quick.

aquariumpros
February 12th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Chuck,

I turned off ALL portal blocks - the speed issue did not change.

I need to talk to someone here about this - as it is ONLY on Photopost products (and all of them) - that this is the case. The forums and all other pages load perfectly - and the Photopost products use the same blocks as the forums.

The header of the portal definitely is not the issue - as it's displaying even when the Photopost product pages are stalled.

Please advise who I need to talk to about this, and the method - as I need to get this addressed.

Many thanks in advance,

Chuck S
February 12th, 2007, 10:09 AM
We do not have telephone support. I would suggest you read this performance thread. There is nothing any of us here can tell you that is not in this thread. The last time we looked at your site we clearly showed turning off your vb enhanced integration shows photopost loads very quick thus proving the vbulletin header is where the slow down is. Have you done this as well and verified what we see. This simple action I did shows the slowdown is outside Photopost and even coupled with your example of our blazing fast queries.

Here is this you should read.

http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116430

I think that tells you everything you need to do on the Photopost side of things.

aquariumpros
February 13th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Chuck,

As was already discussed in post #2 and #3 of this thread - already done.

I have also already told you all the details, and I'm just repeating myself now. I have purchased ALL the products that Photopost sells - so I would think on a customer service aspect, if would at least be polite to 'speak' to me. I have been a supporter of these products for a very long time...however this situation (both the slowness on my site coupled with the responses here) is definitely making me wonder about my support.

This is NOT a vb issue - as it is ONLY AFFECTING PHOTOPOST...so, this is something with PHOTOPOST; or the way Photopost is integrating with vb.

Chuck S
February 13th, 2007, 02:57 PM
We do not offer telephone support in any manner. Product support is via email to support@photopost.com or via this support forum

I beleive from a support perspective I linked all information on performance I know of. I am sorry you are upset I will not provide you telephone support but that is not an option. You can email us your admin login and again as I did earlier in this thread I can turn off your vb3 integration and show photopost loads fast. Your queries show this as well in Photopost that they take less than 1-2 seconds total if that. When I last looked at this the slowdown was indeed generating your vbulletin header and sidebar and once that generated Photopost popped up. If you turn off the vb3 enhancements same thing Photopost products pop up on your screen without any delay.

If you want me to login and see what I see then email your admin login to support@photopost.com and also you should be using the latest versions of the software if your copies are old as there has been alot of enhancements to speed in the past couple versions.

Michael P
February 13th, 2007, 03:52 PM
You'll find most of the interaction with the vB side in header-inc.php - thats where we grab the navbar and other templates we use (along with calling vB's global.php). There isn't much to that script, just some calls to vB and some string replaces to fix default paths that are not relative.

Your pages load pretty fast for me.