PDA

View Full Version : PhotoPost vBGallery

clearchannel
January 1st, 2007, 04:07 PM
I've read quite a few topics concerning the direction PhotoPost vBGallery may be taken. I sense a voice of concern that it will become a stagnant program, the primary purpose would be to further develop PhotoPost Pro.

I'd like to state, I own licenses for both PhotoPost vBGallery as well as PhotoPost Pro, so I think I can be slightly more objective then someone owning a license for just one of either programs.

The point of this post is to point out an observation. I've noticed in the PhotoPost Pro, PhotoPost vBGallery, ReviewPost Pro and PhotoPost Classified, all but PhotoPost vBGallery have a forum for "Supported Mods". Is that an over site on behalf of the staff of PhotoPost or does PhotoPost have no interest or desire to further develop PhotoPost vBGallery program?

You've acquired the program more then a year ago, the only development I've seen is to upgrade the program to integrate with vBulletin 3.6. One is also hard pressed to find any mention of purchasing PhotoPost vBGallery anywhere on your purchase page. One actually has to ask how to go about purchasing the program. It would seem somewhat silly to me, if you planned to develop the program further you would openly make it available on your site. Unless of course, your plan is to let it go by the way side so you can sell a program that costs 3x's as much.

This is just an observation, nothing more.

Michael P
January 1st, 2007, 05:30 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but this was hashed out (again) as recently as last month...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212694

If you are really interested in answers, feel free to read that thread as I have nothing more to add to this discussion.

0ptima
January 1st, 2007, 05:39 PM
You've acquired the program more then a year ago, the only development I've seen is to upgrade the program to integrate with vBulletin 3.6. One is also hard pressed to find any mention of purchasing PhotoPost vBGallery anywhere on your purchase page. One actually has to ask how to go about purchasing the program. It would seem somewhat silly to me, if you planned to develop the program further you would openly make it available on your site. Unless of course, your plan is to let it go by the way side so you can sell a program that costs 3x's as much.

Its simple, they dont want VBGallery to "interfere with PhotoPost Pro sales"

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1270657&postcount=4

I personally feel that I am stuck with a product that will never be given a chance to grow and will always be in the shadow of PP Pro.

Chuck S
January 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM
To set the record straight vbGallery 1.0 was released by vbadvanced in April 2005. We aquired the rights to vbGallery the end of November 2005 at which time vbadvanced had only issued one update version 1.1 in a 7 month time frame. Since our aquisition of the product 13 months ago we have issued at least 4 updates to the code and fixed many bugs the program had when we aquired it. Many new features have been added. I think that says enough in itself that vbGallery has moved forward leaps and bounds.

Michael P
January 2nd, 2007, 07:44 AM
Its simple, they dont want VBGallery to "interfere with PhotoPost Pro sales"

That's true; PhotoPost Pro has always been our flagship product and our acquisition of vBGallery was the result of litigation, not an attempt to expand our product offerings. We have made a commitment to the customers of vBGallery (both old and new) that we will continue to support and develop vBGallery, but not at the expense of PhotoPost Pro.

vBGallery continues to be developed (timely releases for 3.5 and 3.6 were released with new features) and supported and as a customer of vBGallery I think that is far more important than how we choose to market it.

All of the questions have been answered; nobody is ducking the issues here - but, frankly, asking the same questions with the same overblown conspiracy theories is non-productive and I get tired of having to repeat myself over and over again.