PDA

View Full Version : dynamic image loading

JohnnyBGood
November 16th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I am looking for a gallery add-on for vB at the moment, but have found it very annoying browsing through some of the sites with it on.

The annoying part is that when I click on a thumbnail, the whole page refreshes rather than just the image updating dynamically through AJAX, Flash, JS etc.

Is this browser related or a default option?

Is there a way to make the image loading dynamic through whatever method?

If not are there plans to change this?

Thanks,

John

Chuck S
November 16th, 2006, 11:07 AM
when you click a thumbnail you go to a whole different page/script. This is true in just about any commercial gallery as scripts are designed for specific purposes. We have ajax to refresh certain things but your always going to have to load a page when you do certain action like changing a script

JohnnyBGood
November 16th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Surely it is not that hard to have a "canvas" area defined for the current photo, and then merely via AJAX, or JS update the content of the canvas instead of a new page every time?

/John

Michael P
November 16th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Many elements of the page are dependent on the current photo - the comments, the photo details, the thumbnail preview, the next and previous buttons, etc. Each photo also has a unique URL and search engines do not read AJAX data.

So, as you can see, it's not as simple as just loading a new photo; virtually everything else on the page is unique.

JohnnyBGood
November 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Okay, so if I want that I would need to get a flash gallery or one of the many JS galleries out there and just mod it to work in vB?

/John

Michael P
November 16th, 2006, 01:51 PM
If that is what you want to do, sure.