PDA

View Full Version : Resizing Images Post-Upload in Photopost

gopherhockey
November 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM
This is a two part question.

First, is there a way to quickly edit a photo and resize it via the Photopost interface? I see where one can re-generate a thumbnail.. but it would be cool to be able to take a photo that is, say, 1600x1200 of something that doesn't need to be that big and just click to make it 800x600. I don't want to limit all photos to a smaller size, but want the ability to selectively resize if the need arises.

That led me to use the mogrify command via telnet to resize a few photos. The odd thing is that I made them 800x600, but Photopost still displays them big. If I go directly to the photo link, its smaller. I cleared cache, even used separate computers/browsers but the image is still large.

I assume something is cached somewhere... anyone know what is happening here? The same thign happens when we move photos between categories - the thumbnail appears busted for about 10 minutes, then fixes itself.

I searched through the options and tried setting cache off for whatever I could find, but that didn't seem to do anything.

gopherhockey
November 7th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Helping answer part of my question.. it appears that re-sizing the image behind the scenes with mogrify doesn't change the database photopost uses.. so it will keep displaying it at the larger size unless the database is updated to reflect the size of the actual image.

So I'm back to finding a way to re-size the image within photopost. Perhaps if it is not available this could be added as a possible feature.

Chuck S
November 7th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Photos are resized based on the max dimensions in upload options in admin for the large med and thumbnail sizes.

gopherhockey
November 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Photos are resized based on the max dimensions in upload options in admin for the large med and thumbnail sizes.

Right, and as I posted I understand how that works... but there are times when I want a larger max available but want to shrink individual photos.

It seems to be a global option as well, not something that can be set on a per category basis or per usergroup.

Its not something I'd use a ton, but I'd think it might be easy to implement - the ability to edit individual photos and resize.

Or maybe I'm doing it all wrong. For the most part 800x600 shows up best within most users browsers. However, I'd like much larger photos in some instances. Perhaps I ought to make the "medium" size be 800x600 and let the larget go as big as the limit. Right now the medium is more of thumbnail view or just a bit larger. Hmmm.. then I'd have to go back in and resize all the mediums again.

LBmtb
April 1st, 2007, 11:47 PM
A feature like gopherhockey described would be useful. Also, I recently lowered the max dimensions. It would be awesome if there could be an option to rescan all the photos and resize them down to the new max dimensions if they're larger.

thanks!

Raidermatt
June 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Question about decreasing the max upload size.

Will all of the already uploaded pics be reduced as well?

Chuck S
June 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM
No they will not you can rebuild mediums and thumbs if you change that in admin scan database and rebuild them but you can not rebuild large images

Raidermatt
June 4th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Ok, thanks.

Chuck S
June 4th, 2007, 07:02 PM
No problems enjoy