PDA

View Full Version : Amatuer Webdesigner wants to install and use Photopost

rufenough
October 23rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Hi all,

I only got interested in webdesign in June this year.

I subsequently purchased a programme called Xara and designed and uploaded my first ever website here www.siamfishingtours.com.

This is a commercial site aimed at generating us business. I soon learned that even though Xara created a reasonable looking site easily, it packed my scripts with garbage, and was terrible for SEO. As a result I tried to learn CSS and a bit of XHTML with a view to designing my own site from scratch which would be much more optimised for my keywords.

I now have the bones of a website that would be great if I could get it live...trouble is I need to create a forum and photo page to make the site interesting for customers and would be customers. Thats when I found Photopost.

The problem that I have is that Im a novice webdesigner with limited knowledge, and I seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. If I use the services of webdesigner I once again lose control over my content, but to do it myself the jargon relating to installing and running photopost is beyond me...I know nothing about PHP.

My question is...if I buy photopost with such limited knowledge will it be a pointless purchase? I sent an Email to Photopost and their response just simplified what to me are real concerns, and did not inspire me with much confidence. All they said was "Photo Post is a piece of software that sits on your server" Great!!! That enlightens me loads! Can any one help?

Sybaris
October 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
photopost is a photo album for your website, It gives you the ability to keep and show photos to enyone who comes to your site, You can let people join your website with it and then inturn they can upload and show their photos.

As for limited knowledge, as long as you can follow instructions then installing it will be simple and there is always this site to come to when things go wrong, The staff here are very patient and we the users help where we can.

At the end of the day its your money so i am not going to tell you how to spend it but if you want a photo script on your site you can do much worse (and spend a lot more money) than photopost.

rufenough
October 23rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Sybaris,

Thanks for the reassuring words, and speed of reply!

I wonder can you tell me, I know that Photopost allows you to set your background thats in keeping with your own sites design. I wondered just how flexible this is? How it works exactly?

My new sites appearance is largely CSS driven, can photopost take the same CSS commands for its appearance or do I use HTML???

This is one of my major concerns I have about using a piece of predsigned external software...I ve gone to a lot of trouble to create a site with some character, (I could send a sample page with the CSS if you was willing to see if its OK?) and Im concerned that the Photoforum pages wont look the same, I have an animated gif in my header too.

Thanks