PDA

View Full Version : PhotoPost joomla integration

ionut
October 14th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Joomla looks like it has grown and got a bigger userbase then mambo, does photopost currently support joomla v1.0.*? Will it support v1.5?

Thanks.

Chuck S
October 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Photopost does not support Joomla in any way as we have no module for that software. We support and integrate with Mambo as our integration docs suggest sorry.

ionut
October 14th, 2006, 02:12 PM
It does work with joomla 1.0.* as it's based on mambo. I just hope photopost will add suport for 1.5 in the future.

Chuck S
October 14th, 2006, 03:50 PM
As stated we do not support Joomla and can not say at this point if we will be adding support for that integration anytime soon. It may be something we do in the future but nothing planned at this point as integration modules are done in our free time and when we see enough of a base to add it.

carpman
December 13th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Hello, i have moved from mambo and would like photopost/joomla intigration.

Chuck S
December 13th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Hello

I do not think there is anything else we can add to this thread at this time. We do not support Joomla and there are no plans to do so anytime soon as I stated in my last post.

snoopy5
January 12th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Just as a side mote:

All Core developers of Mambo quit the Mambo project in September 2005 to offer mambo under a new name called Joomla, to be able to offer also in the future this CMS for free. So Joomla 1.0 is nothing else than Mambo 4.5x

The owner of the brandname "Mambo" had to hire new programmers and mambo of today has nothing to do anymore with Mambo as of August 2005.

Now Joomla 1.012 is out and the latest release in the 1.0x line. Joomla 1.5 is in beta stage, but I do not expect any stable official release of 1.5 within the next 6 months. Joomla 1.5 will be a totally redesign and I expect that there will be a lot of trouble when applying a Joomla 1.0x hack on Joomla 1.5

So I understand that there is no sense in developing now something for Joomla, if it is not yet sure, how the database after the current 1.5 beta will be looking like in 6 months.

Since Joomla won now in a row each year the Linux award and is them ost successful CMS out there, I am sure that sooner or later someone will provide hacks for some kind of integrations :)

Garrynz
January 13th, 2007, 07:13 PM
What about Joomla to PHPBB intergration and Photopost to PHPBB intergration and just use PHPBB as a user management system if don't want the forum. A bit messy though.

snoopy5
January 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I do not know about this. But there is a software called "amember" which allows shared registration with almost everything.

I just had an order there to integrate PP with a forumssoftware called discusware. It does not work yet properly, but as soon as I have more time, I will push this through with the developers. I am sure they have also something for phpbb

snoopy5
January 31st, 2007, 05:33 PM
If anybody has a source where it is explained how to use photopost usergroups & registration system for Joomla 1.012, please post it here!

snoopy5
May 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
anybody?

Airwork
May 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM
You could try the guys at www.bbpixel.com.

They have integrated the users of my vBulletin board into Joomla. Works perfectly. Maybe they can do the same for Photopost usergroups.

FYI: I run a vBulletin board on a Joomla site. The board is in the look and feel of Joomla (skinned by BBPixel). Users are vB with BBPixel integration. Photopost also uses the vB usergroups.

Chuck S
May 20th, 2007, 09:14 AM
You need to write an integration module dirk for joomla if you want to do a joomla integration.

420 Magazine
September 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
any update on this?

Chuck S
September 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Any update on what? I beleive we have stated we do not support Joomla and we are not actively writing any new integrations.

snoopy5
September 14th, 2007, 02:04 AM
FYI

Since a few weeks it turns out that the Team of Joomla is interpreting the GPL very strict. Because of this there might be problems in the future with any kind of bridges to joomla.

PLease research the joomla.org forum and the SMF forum for this.

It seems (I did not check this too much) that according to the strict GPL, all third party bridges offered for Joomla have to be released also under the same licence as Joomla, otherwise it would be a violation of Joomla licence.

This means in reality that SMF turned down in July their bridge for Joomla and will not suport even old versions as long as Joonla does not allows it with as a non-GPL software.

Chuck S
September 14th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Yes the whole GPL thing companies need to look at etc. The bridges we write are totally 100% our code and not governed by some other company. Joomla was a birth out of trying to mess with Mambo. It seems to me know both applications seem doomed.

snoopy5
September 14th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I am a bg Joomla Fan. Joomla is one of the nost sucessful CMS so far, won prizes everywhere. But the problem is, tnat if they do not allow commercial bridges & add-ons anymore (if this should really turn out to be true), then one of the major advantages of Joomla vs. other CMS is gone.

I like Joomla because this is not just a better product then most other CMS, but also because you find professional coders who offer commercial add-ons for Joomla. This means in most cases better quality, more reliable and real support.

We will see how it turns out. in 2-3 months we know more about it. Until then Joomla will surely have to make a very clear statement regarding this.

eastestuary
October 6th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Joomla 1.xx and Photopost already work togather by simply using the mambo integration. Chuck I have several sites that use both, and would like to urge you to support it as well.

I realize that you must use your spare time, but I would be willing to chip in some money to get this through. $$$

carpman
February 3rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
As stated we do not support Joomla and can not say at this point if we will be adding support for that integration anytime soon. It may be something we do in the future but nothing planned at this point as integration modules are done in our free time and when we see enough of a base to add it.

Such a sighted outlook, mambo was very successful until nearly all its devs jumped ship to form Joomla and with Joolma 1.5 stable it certainly looks like like Joomla's success will continue while Mambo will fade.

Simply do a Google for joomla and see the community both free and commercial that has grown to support Joomla, far larger than that of PP and you say Joomla is doomed to fail?

PP lack of Joomla support has prevented me from getting more PP licences but with the introduction of Jfusion.org it looks like integration without VB or other forums will finally be possible.

Chuck S
February 3rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
What part of we do integrations in our free time is hard to understand?

ionut
February 3rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Maybe it shouldn't be in the free time, you do sell a product. More integrations, more customers.

Chuck S
February 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
I do support 3 products which have 16 integrations to support and I code classifieds and reviewpost so sorry it is in my free time which is very sparse to say the least.

carpman
February 4th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Nothing like alienating your customers to improve sales!

To be honest i don't expect a product out of the box to support integration with every application, there are just to many.

What i would advocate is some form of voting to ascertain what are the most wanted integrations as over time the popularity of some apps fades or increases.

RaceJunkie
February 4th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Chuck you sure are very rude to your customers. :eek: No one is asking you to re-write the will here, all you have to do is consider it. I don't use PP with Joomla but it looks like there would be a market for it though.:rolleyes:

Chuck S
February 4th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I was not rude in any manner! I was asking what is so hard to understand what was said. I stated writing integrations is something I do in spare time which I do not have actually because of support etc. It is pretty cut and dry actually here. If I go through this thread I see a constant bashing by people because we have not released a Joomla Integration and its getting worse and people are getting quite rude. Not exactly a ringing endoursement to have us write one. We have about 16 forum integrations and it is quite alot to keep up with those. I have been very honest and up front stating from the beginning of this thread as we have no plans to write any more integrations but if we do get some time we would consider it. Thats all I can say really as we have not wrote any integrations in about 2 years except to update the ones we do support.

RaceJunkie
February 4th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I was not rude in any manner! I was asking what is so hard to understand what was said. I stated writing integrations is something I do in spare time which I do not have actually because of support etc. It is pretty cut and dry actually here. If I go through this thread I see a constant bashing by people because we have not released a Joomla Integration and its getting worse and people are getting quite rude. Not exactly a ringing endoursement to have us write one. We have about 16 forum integrations and it is quite alot to keep up with those. I have been very honest and up front stating from the beginning of this thread as we have no plans to write any more integrations but if we do get some time we would consider it. Thats all I can say really as we have not wrote any integrations in about 2 years except to update the ones we do support.

It was just your tone and I do understand where you are coming from. Don't agree with it, but understand it. Ever thought about trying to get someone to work with you on it? Joomla is a great CMS and will only get bigger and better.

I was just trying to point out if I was a potential customer and ran across this thread I would have to question it.

I like this answer better.:D

Chuck S
February 4th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Well I was directly quoted and bashed that I see in this thread which is quite pold so I dont think I had any tone there I asked a simple question what was so hard to understand about my response that I made a year or so go. Sorry if you think it came across that way. Honestly there is no one to assist with this Customers are free to modify the code in any way they wish and if they use the Mambo integration as a template and modify that. To support an integration it usually takes a month or so of testing and unwrapping forum code etc to understand how that works etc to write an integration, I have been struggling with phpbb3 for 8 months now and have has to table that as I am in the middle of a classifieds beta. Its all about free time. If I spend 6 or 8 hours a day doing support there is no time for anything else. Simply put here supporting what we already have and developing the core product takes priority over writing and supporting new integrations. If we get a break in support etc and I get free time I usually do find new things to play with but that usually only happens once or so a year. ;)

shakeme
February 10th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I have been a Joomla user for a very long time. While it's a great piece of software to get a CMS up and running for your company, anything further is a nightmare and a mess - as are the licensing issues surrounding it and the people involved in creating it. Having ditched it for other products when building social applications (I still use it for simple CMS needs), I can only tell you I'm MUCH happier. As of right now there already is a vbulletin Joomla integration so there is no need for any other integration within Joomla.

I don't know Chuck very well so don't get the wrong idea. Chuck seems like he's doing the best he can to support the integrations that are likely to be most popular and within his ability to support. I don't blame him for not wanting to go down the Joomla path. That certainly doesn't stop you or me from hiring a developer to do the dirty work if we really want it so badly.

Chuck S
February 10th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah much my same opinion I installed it a while back and found it to be a nightmare of an application. We have over 16 applications we currently support and phpbb3 is my next job on trying to tackle as we support phpbb2. My priorities around here keep me focused on supporting 3 products and developing 2 of the 4 applications we sell so that leaves very little time for anything else.

Swanny
February 11th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Chuck, no offense but I get the impression that whoever runs PhotoPost / All Enthusiast needs to hire another techie person to better handle the workload (Is Scott still the boss?).

I can read and comprehend when you say you're doing things "in your spare time". Please tell whoever runs the site I think maybe you should do development only and they can hire someone else for support! Maybe there is someone else but all I've seen is you responding to everyone ;-)

Chuck S
February 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Swanny we have been looking to find people who know the product to help lessen the load for support for along time but it is hard to find people. We have hired people here and there and they did not work out lasting only a few months. The only people working for support are Zach and me and he mainly does vbgallery and I support the other 3 products which obviously takes alot of time. If you know anyone who has a good knowledge of the program then feel free to let me know and I will pass it along. Yes you see me responding to everyone as I am the one main person who does things around here. ;)

Swanny
February 11th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I understand Chuck. Years ago I was a moderator here but eventually didn't have time for it. I'd offer to help but I just don't have the time... well how much do you need someone here (full-time/part-time?) I don't know vb but do know phpbb and certainly some of the pp products code.

Chuck S
February 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I guess the kind of help we are looking is someone with enough knowledge to assist with general support questions. I really cant say what time it generally takes or what Scott's requirements are but if you have someone you think is up to the task I will gladly look over their posts here and assess their capability and pass their name along.

tradenet
February 19th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I am going to try 1.0.14 with the Mambo bridge and see how that works out. The current postnuke one is flaky and I just don't have the time to jigg it. Not a big fan of Joom-Mambo as it isn't flexible enough.

**Update. Setting the cookie path in PP fixed the problem ie. the postnuke is not in the root directory of the site.
Tried. Joomla version above and it does NOT work "out of the box" with the current Mambo bridge. I'll stick with postnuke (v0.7.6.4), it's way more flexible.

Chuck S
February 19th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Correct as we support Mambo not Joomla and post nuke should work fine as long as you have cookies set correct as you found out.