PDA

View Full Version : Reviewpost is treated like a redheaded step-child

orangeflea
September 29th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Reviewpost suffers from quite a few shortcomings as a product review application, things that can be fixed right away if more attention were aimed at it, and yet it is Photopost that gets a majority of the supported add-ons and is now in process of acquiring all these AJAX features.

I own both, and I think Photopost is fine as it is. Users at the site love it and I've yet to receive a complaint or "suggestion" from them regarding the gallery. Reviewpost is definitely another story, as it doesn't even have the same depth of features that Photopost has.

In Photopost, you can see all the users' submitted photos. They even can have their own gallery and portfolio. In reviewpost, you can't even see reviews by individual. This is an extremely important need, especially when the reviews involve books, games, and music. Each person that leaves a review basically has to hope someone stubbles on to a product that they've reviewed. There is no option to see a comprehensive list of that individual's personal reviews. Hell, in Photoshop, there's a plug-in to see a person's submitted photos in their profile --- and yet there's nothing like that for Reviewpost (even though it needs it).

We've added over a THOUSAND of products to our review area, and in comparison to the response our gallery area has received, the review section is dead. And what's funny is that our community's theme is more conducive to submitting reviews than photos.

I've made suggestions in the Reviewpost suggestion forum, and I don't even know if they'll be implemented in the next version of reviewpost (whenever that comes out).

I'm happy with my Photoshop purchase.
But I'm sorely disappointed in Reviewpost and its level of support.

Michael P
September 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM
All of our product updates come in cycles; usually the first to get new features is PhotoPost PRO, then those new features trickel down to Classifieds and ReviewPost. In fact, as I prepare to release PhotoPost 5.5, you'll notice that Classifieds has been released as a BETA with some of the very same new features coming out in PRO.

PhotoPost PRO has gone the longest without an update - 5.3 was released in January; with ReviewPost having it's 3.2 release in Feb and a 3.3 release in April, I'd have to disagree with the characterization that ReviewPost doesn't get any attention.

We don't have a huge development staff working indepentently on every product - we are a small company with a half dozen products and several website projects; we make our best effort to make sure that everything get's its fair share of time for updates and support.

Chuck S
September 29th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I would agree with Michael as alot of work has gone into the products. In fact if you look at the last couple feature list releases of Reviewpost and Classifieds they usually have per capita more features and work done in a single release than Photopost. We have had some major big releases on these two lesser selling products in the past year. Lots of changes in a year if you read the release notes.

Now just to clear one thing up. You seem to be crossing features and people mix up the term review and product. Just like Photopost where you can see all a users photos in Reviewpost you can definately see all a users products has been that way for quite some time.

http://www.reeftalk.com/reviews/showmembers.php

http://www.reeftalk.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/500/ppuser/1

There is virtually no difference. Now if your talking review not product there is no feature in the Photopost Product that shows all a users comments and likewise same in Reviewpost

orangeflea
September 29th, 2006, 09:51 AM
There is virtually no difference. Now if your talking review not product there is no feature in the Photopost Product that shows all a users comments and likewise same in Reviewpost

Comments are one thing, reviews are another. In Photoshop, the photos make up the backbone of the section, while in Reviewpost, the reviews are what people look for. Anyone can throw a product up in Reviewpost, but the reviews themselves are the critical facet of ANY reviewpost section.

Users are simply not posting as many reviews because they easily get lost in the shuffle. They want people to READ their reviews, just like artists want people to view their gallery in photoshop (which is easy to do).

When we unleashed photopost to the community, everyone submitted personal photos and artwork. It was a hit, because members used it as a way to store and present their images, while easily linking other members to their gallery. When we presented Reviewpost, however, it was met with a lackluster response, which was odd considering they were familiar with photopost AND that we run a review site.

That same week, a member asked if there was a way for others to see his reviews. I told him that I would look into it, and when I discovered that there wasn't a way and informed him, he stopped posting reviews.

I understand that photopost is your bread winner and that you try to develop/upgrade your products in samples, but Reviewpost is lacking in some areas that should have been addressed. You guys are giving the corvette (photopost) a brand new paint job while your mustang (reviewpost) still needs a tune-up. I had anticipated more support for reviewpost than what I'm seeing.

Michael P
September 29th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I am sure that as soon as these updates are done (Classifieds and PhotoPost) that ReviewPost will be next and your suggestions and input will be taken into consideration.

I would suggest you get involved with any BETAs as that is when opinions matter most.

Chuck S
September 29th, 2006, 10:56 AM
http://www.reeftalk.com/reviews/revshow.php?userid=1

This is probally what you mean