PDA

View Full Version : "no permission to post" in "How do i" or support

dc_pitascii
September 5th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Hello,

I see this error when I post:
dc_pitascii, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
This happens on vbulletin sites that require e-mail validation:
* I believe I have validated my e-mail address.

On the forum "http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/" certain areas are for "members only" but they allow for a member that is an "owner" and up to 3 "admins" per owner who can have user accounts for member access.
* I have the username and password for a licensed copy, and the name of the owner, and permission to use their license-- in fact, I'm the one that accessed the member area to set the site name, and am the primary admin working on the install and configuration.

However, the owners email address is not the same as mine.

So, what is necessary for me to make this account (on your forums), and perhaps 2 other accounts into accounts that can publish in the "members only area" of this site?

TIA

Chuck S
September 5th, 2006, 07:08 AM
http://www.photopost.com/forum/announcement.php?f=64

This explains our verification system. You must be a verified license holder to obtain support it is a simple system that allows us to support our true license holders and not provide support to illegal installations.

dc_pitascii
September 5th, 2006, 05:16 PM
http://www.photopost.com/forum/announcement.php?f=64

This explains our verification system. You must be a verified license holder to obtain support it is a simple system that allows us to support our true license holders and not provide support to illegal installations.

Ok. I visit that post, and see this:
Welcome Members,

With the huge customer base we have we have put into place an automated verification system to verify license holders whom are entitled to support.

You may have seen in the last couple weeks we have opened up our forums outside a protected members area to make it easier for users to obtain support without having to enter there license data to gain access to the members forum. This in the past kept out users whom are not entitled to support. We have also made improvements to our members are and you are able to link multiple licenses to one login.

So in our forums now you will see VERIFIED CUSTOMER under your username if you are a valid license holder. We would ask anyone who is a valid license holder that does not see this tag under there username that they update there forum account email to match that of there license so they will show as a verified customer. The update script runs every hour so once you do this you will properly show up on our forums with the tag under your name in posts.

Please not after making the change and allowing sufficient time for the cron task to bump you into the verified group you would then need to post on the forum to elevate yourself. This is how vbulletin usergroup change works.

Actually, the way that the http://www.vbulletin.com/forum system works for users entitled to support is this:
*) The purchaser's e-mail address automatically gains forum usergroup status to join the support section *and* they have access to add 3 more usernames to a list of users allowed to access the member area.

This is done, because the person that purchases software is often not the person that installs, configures and maintains the software.

Even registrars with whois records, there is an "admin" "tech" and "owner" with many domains, since they recognize the separation and specialization of "who to contact when payments are needed" and "who to contact to fix things."

Where is your web page for allowing the owner to add forum admins and sysadmins to configure, troubleshoot and fix problems, like vBulletin.com has for their customers?

Thanks!

Chuck S
September 5th, 2006, 06:46 PM
We dont have such capability. We provide support to our customers and the verification system ensures it is the license holder we are providing support to.

dc_pitascii
September 5th, 2006, 06:57 PM
We dont have such capability. We provide support to our customers and the verification system ensures it is the license holder we are providing support to.

If I change my address to the one that has the license, confirm the address, let the cron job you people run promote my account, then change back my address, would my account retain the status as a customer, or at least a proxy for the customer?

Chuck S
September 5th, 2006, 08:32 PM
The forum email account has to be the same as the license holder as the thread states.

dc_pitascii
September 5th, 2006, 09:30 PM
The forum email account has to be the same as the license holder as the thread states.

Ok. We'll set this account to be a shared account and shared the password with the customer, and admins. That will meet the requirements you have for a single point of contact use the same email address as the owner, and give the rest of us access to support.

If this account seems to have multiple personality disorder, that is because it does.

So. I changed the e-mail address of this account to be the owners, asked the owner to confirm the email, and have shared the username and password of this account with them.

We just need to wait for the cron job to kick in and change our usergroup.

dc_pitascii
September 6th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Thanks for your help on this. This is a workable solution.