PDA

View Full Version : PrePurchase Question: Password Upload

iancase
August 26th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Prior to purchase I need to know whether the following (or a workaround) is possible with PhotoPost:

A public gallery is created:
A password is allocated to the gallery to allow upload of images by visitors:

The important aspect is that the gallery can be contributed to by *many* visitors - only restricted to those that know the password.

In an 'easy' solution - maybe it is that a single username and password is provided which can be used by multiple visitors times consecutively?

The process of finding the gallery, (registering), using the allocated password, uploading the image(s) should be easy and straight forward.

Is this possible?

Chuck S
August 27th, 2006, 08:11 AM
The easy solution yes would be creating a dummy account like guests with password guests that you can give out to certain users and setting usergroup permission accordingly.

Upload permissions all depend on usergroup permissions not by a password entered on upload screen hope this makes sense to you the process.

iancase
August 27th, 2006, 02:34 PM
This however would need considerable administration time and potentially numerous user groups wouldn't it ?

I'm looking at potentially 15 new galleries a week initially - would this mean 15 new usergroups?

Chuck S
August 27th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Well you can assign a password to a category to restrict viewing and give it out to who you wish. The password has nothing to do with uploading though as whatever usergroups have upload access to a certain category they can upload

Usergroups have permissions of who can view upload post comments etc. This is how the software works. You can assign passwords to categories to make them private.

iancase
August 27th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I'm familiar with being able to restrict viewing by using a password, however my requirements are to make it possible for multiple (anonymous) users to upload images to a category by using a password to do so.

Ideally, a user would register as is the case currently, and then after uploading images, a password would be entered, to add the images to a specific category. (sort of thing).

If photopost can't do this by adjusting the config. would it be something which could be programmed, and if so would you be able to offer a charge to do so ?

iancase
September 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
..My head hurts.....

I've been on and off this board for a couple of weeks and established that I need a few things to make my site work which PhotoPost can accomodate.

But, I return to this problem.

My development requires that multiple users can post images into a single shared category / public album which has a secondry control af access.

I'm banging my head on this one and hope that somebody can wave their magic wand and help me out.

My quandry seems to be that I want users to register. Then Upload photos. Then assign the photos to a public album using a category specific password, or some other control.

Everything else appears to work out.

Just this, nothing available does it - can anyone help ??

iancase
September 14th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Head's still hurting, but found this..

Under usergoups and Vb3:
(PhotoPost has the ability to).. 'Enable ability for users to associate Personal Albums to main categories'

Can this be password protected or controlled to restrict uploads ??

How does this function work ?

Chuck S
September 14th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Personal albums users create can be public or private if they choose yes.

iancase
September 14th, 2006, 05:44 PM
So personal albums can be subcategories of main categories.

Thanks for explaining. Maybe this is'nt what I'm looking for.

However, just to clarify the function, would this association be the whole of the personal album or could it be a category within the personal album ?

Chuck S
September 14th, 2006, 06:13 PM
personal albums can be assigned to categories or assigned to other personal albums

iancase
September 14th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Hi Chuck,

I must be missing something here...

Is this the whole of the personal album or is it a category (sub directory)within the personal album ? ( I'm supposing that PP can have subdirectories within personal albums).

Your answer is rather vague ?

Chuck S
September 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM
There are two things categories and personal albums.

Only Admin sets up categories and subcategories

Personal albums can be setup by users and assigned to categories or other personal albums they have.

Does that make sense?

iancase
September 14th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I understand the terminology and structure.

Do users get to create multiple personal albums?

If so, can each of the multiple albums be allocated to different categories, or is it just the main user album which can be assigned to a category.

Chuck S
September 14th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Users can create as many albums they wish and assign them to whatever categories or albums they wish to

iancase
September 15th, 2006, 04:03 AM
So that leaves the question whether or not users can assign their albums to a category for which they know the password of ? (If this exists).

Chuck S
September 15th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Users make public or private albums. They know what the password is when they make it private and the url has the password

iancase
September 15th, 2006, 12:51 PM
So essentially the answer to my question is no.

It's not possible to create an album to which multiple users can subscribe to by using a password.

Chuck S
September 15th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Thats what I said in my first post of this thread that multiple users would not be able to upload to it. Anyone can subscribe to an category by knowing the password and subscribe

iancase
September 16th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Your first says:

"The easy solution yes would be creating a dummy account like guests with password guests that you can give out to certain users and setting usergroup permission accordingly.".
Can multiple users log on consecutively using this method?

Chuck S
September 16th, 2006, 11:07 AM
yes they can but all photos would be owned by the user guests

iancase
September 16th, 2006, 11:20 AM
It's good that multiple users can log In and upload consecutively, but not so good that you lose all those potential new customers.

This might be a workable option.

Thanks.

iancase
September 23rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Still trying to solve the gallery access quandry on a user by user basis...

As part of my research into using Photopost I've enquired elsewhere about the facility to charge a fee for use of the gallery. I was told that this could be done through Vbulletin.

I've been checking out Vbulletin and have a couple of questions:

My first question is how do the two scripts function as one? If I set up a forum on Vbulletin does Photopost operate 'within' it ?

In Vbulletin theres a facility to password protect a forum. :) This being the case, if the answer to my question above is 'yes' then this would work as an effective protection mechanism. If there are any samples anybody knows about can you let me know.

If Photopost doesn't operate in the manner described above, can it be made to ?

Chuck S
September 23rd, 2006, 07:19 PM
Photopost does not work within vbulletin. There are tons of vbulletin examples here

http://www.photopost.com/action

We integrate with the user base and load the header stylesheet footer etc to look like the forum. You can password protect categories and albums much like you password forums in vb.

iancase
September 24th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for your input Chuck, I'm trying hard to justify the purchase of PhotoPost and VBulletin here for my project, but theres a lack of constructive input I feel. :confused:

Under Access Options for forums in VBulletin there is a facility to ADD a password to the forum.

The description states: 'This acts in ADDITION to any other permissions set for this forum'.

Additionally the help states " Password to Access" ' If you set a password, a user will be required to enter that password before being allowed to enter this forum. The user must have cookies turned on to enter a password-protected forum. This password will be inherited by subforums unless those subforums have Can Have Password set to No. If a user knows the password but is in a usergroup that is not allowed to access that forum, the user will not be allowed to access it.'

My interpretation of this is that even if you're a registeresd user of any user group, providing that you have access permissions, unless you know the password for this forum, you will be denied access.

In the continuation of this thread, if my gallery was 'in' a forum directory of VBulletin protected by password, nobody would see it unless they used the forum password for access. So, solution half found.

The remaining part of the problem then, would be image upload to THAT forum only. Could Photopost be configured only for upload to THAT forum or not?

Now I know that this isn't the VBulletin forum, but you guys must be using this script every day, and I'm sure there's a solution lurking here somewhere.

From what I've read about Vbulletin on their demo site I'm sure that the password protection system for a forum would work fine. I'm equally sure that if I was to link to IF4 gallery from within this password protected forum, that it would perform as required in my requirements for restricting access and upload to a specific gallery by password.

As I said, I'm trying hard to justify PhotoPost here and would love to use PP with a gallery level password access as described.

Can you provide a possible solution using PP and Vbulletin ?

Chuck S
September 24th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Well I am not going to talk about vbulletin as not to complicate things.

You can not password protect Photopost through vbulletin. As stated you may enter a password for a category so that users must have that password to view the category of images. Private albums same thing users need a password to view private albums. Now uploads can be set based on the category editor as in you set what usergroups may upload post etc to each category.

iancase
November 7th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Say I have a group of people at an event.

Could I set up a gallery (Category) on behalf of the event organiser, add a password to that category and hand it out at the event to allow guests to upload their own photos of the event?

Is the Category hidden from users without the password or is it just a link which requests the password?

Does the password work on just main categories, or on sub categories as well?

Chuck S
November 7th, 2006, 09:28 AM
passwords are to be able to view a category not upload to it, As I have priorly explained in detail there is no password to upload feature. Upload permissions are per usergroups and viewing permissions same way and there is a password you can assign and give out per category but it is for viewing,

iancase
November 7th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Sorry, Thanks for reminding me - I've been looking at several options, so it all gets kinda fuzzzy.

I expect then, that the upload procedure would present the 'password' category as an available option for upload to all members of the usergroup who had upload permissions - hence making the password ineffective in protecting uploads.

However, would the following be possible:

Say I have a group of people at an event.

I set up a gallery (Category) on behalf of the event organiser.

(I may or may not want to password protect viewing by password)

I create a usergroup with permissions to upload to the category Only (if thats possible).

I create a user in the user group.

Then give out the username and password of that user at the event to allow guests to upload their own photos.

If this is possible then I would need to create a new usergroup and new user for each event, so are multiple usergroups allowed? Any number?

iancase
November 10th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Chuck,

Your first reply in this thread hit the nail on the head. What I just described 3 days ago is (probably) what you meant. However, buying blind causes a whole lot of heartache and tears when it all goes wrong.

Confirmation of my setup previously mentioned would still be nice.

Unfortunately, I've bought into another script for my requirements immediately because I was able to play with a demo, and work the (above ) out myself.

After setting up 2 different scripts in 3 weeks, I know it's not a hard thing to do, so why can't a demo be set up where new users can try things out? It doesn't have to be 'integrated to everything' - just the main programme.

I have another 2 projects I'm working on which I'd like to keep PhotoPost in the frame for since it does have some neat features which sets it apart from it's competitors and which are useful for me.

So, thanks for your imput on this, I'm sure I'll have more questions..

Chuck S
November 10th, 2006, 04:56 PM
The easy solution yes would be creating a dummy account like guests with password guests that you can give out to certain users and setting usergroup permission accordingly.

Upload permissions all depend on usergroup permissions not by a password entered on upload screen hope this makes sense to you the process.

This stands true if I understand what you want to do