PDA

View Full Version : Questions prior to ordering

Ted M
July 14th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Hello all,

I tried the toll-free number to ask these questions but was informed nobody was there to take my call.

Perhaps somebody here can answer these questions before I decide to purchase PhotoPost.

1. If I purchase the Installation along with the license, what is the usual turnaround time to have the software installed on my domain?

2. What is needed by me (in terms of username, password, etc.) when I order the installation? I don't feel comfortable giving out my password. Should I temporarily change it before I order?

3. Once the software is installed, will I be emailed or given a set of directions how to customize the gallery?

4. I host with godaddy.com and wonder if the following meet the requirements to have PP installed:

Linux system
PHP 4.3.11
MySql 4.0.24
GD 2.0.28

Thanks for any and all help! :)
Ted

Sybaris
July 14th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I know i'm not official but for what its worth on points 1 and 3

point 1... i would save your money and at least have a go at installing yourself, there is a wealth of info on here and people like me as well as the official support are more than willing to help with anything that you have a problem with. Then if at the end you decide you really cant install it yourself you are still able to order an unstalation from photopost.

point 3... short answer is yes to an extent, more involved modifications are not in any manual and anything that comes under the term 'MOD' you are at the mercy of the community. Thats not say the official support wont help with small things which require a modecom of code change.

Have a think about what i have said and remember we the community are only to pleased to offer what assistance we can.

Chuck S
July 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM
1. If I purchase the Installation along with the license, what is the usual turnaround time to have the software installed on my domain?

Usual turn around is same day/next day depending on time of day ordered

2. What is needed by me (in terms of username, password, etc.) when I order the installation? I don't feel comfortable giving out my password. Should I temporarily change it before I order?

You can temporarily change your password but usually we ask for ssh/ftp access and the mysql info. If your unfamiliar about anything link to your control panel and signins will work. Again changing the password temporarily is the easiest way to provide this info and remain secure

3. Once the software is installed, will I be emailed or given a set of directions how to customize the gallery?

Yes you can browse our manual which has basic info and we have support forums for questions on how to operate things as well. Code modification as noted is outside official support but we as suggested might answer easy questions.

4. I host with godaddy.com and wonder if the following meet the requirements to have PP installed:

They should be okay but you can run the phpinfo.php file linked on our requirements page for you to be totally sure. Only less than 1% of servers are uncompatible in my dealings with hosting.

Ted M
July 14th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks, Sybaris and Chuck, for answering! :)

Sybaris, I appreciate the suggestion... and I'm pretty good at following directions. But just yesterday I attempted to install Wordpress (I think it is?) and it got to "alter the permissions"...

I had NO CLUE how to do that... and I'm afraid that would be the same with Photo Post! :o

In fact, I'm thinking strongly of purchasing/installing vBulletin...and I'm kind of bummed out because they don't offer an installation service! :) So I'm nervous! :)

The ironic thing is: this is just for my personal use...I'm investing this money...and it's basically just for a hobby site. :)

Chuck, I think I may take your advice and give the control panel link and login info... however, if I order over the phone, will they ask for it over the phone?

In any case, looks like I need to wait until Monday to order... :) Missed Friday's deadline! :)

Again, I appreciate both of your responses.

ConqSoft
July 14th, 2006, 06:39 PM
(vBulletin/Jelsoft *does* offer installation.)

Ted M
July 14th, 2006, 06:49 PM
ConqSoft, I wasn't aware...thanks very much! :)

Chuck S
July 14th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Vbulletin/Jelsoft does offer installation yes for $135.00. We do forum installations for $70.00 ;)

No they will not ask for it over the phone but if you want to give it there thats fine.

Ted M
July 15th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Chuck, I didn't realize you folks also install forums. I didn't see it in your pricing. :) Good stuff to know.

I'm currently trying SMF (it was free with godaddy.com) and I'm at wit's end. I honestly now admire those people who set up web pages. SMF is causing me problems with setting up some admin panel stuff. And now I'm afraid that since it's on my server, I don't know how to UNINSTALL and remove it. :(

All I want is a (what I thought!) simple webpage that has a gallery, blog, and a forum. I don't know how to do it myself and it's hard to find trustworthy people on the Internet that will offer that service. Or those who WILL offer the service to set up an entire web page, charge hundreds of dollars (which is fine... they need to make a living too! :) )

I guess I wish there was a way to pay somebody to set up a page that is NOT corporate? Just a hobby page. :)

Your rates are reasonable to install forums and the gallery software.

My only fear is that I'll pay somebody to install these softwares and in 6 months when something goes wrong... I'll have to pay them again to reinstall it. :(

Maybe I just shouldn't attempt this webpage idea after all!

Thanks for hearing my ranting. :)

Sybaris
July 15th, 2006, 09:25 AM
go for it mate, its dead easy we will help you and the vbuletin is even easier to install than photopost :) literaly upload the files alter permisions and off you go....

Ted M
July 15th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Hehe, that's just it... I'm not sure HOW to alter permissions. :) Does anybody have a link that could possibly explain how to do that? :)

Thanks for the encouragement, Sybaris. :)

0ptima
July 15th, 2006, 01:02 PM
a "Word press ftp guide".....

http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/ftp/smartftp/index.php

Ted M
July 16th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks much, Optima! :) I downloaded Smart FTP and now feel comfortable with permissions.

Of course, I haven't really TRIED It...but that tutorial is saved in my Favorites. :)

Thanks again!

Sybaris
July 16th, 2006, 05:53 PM
no worrys, permisions are as easy as right clicking on the file in smart click chmodd and either ticking or unticking the boxs :)

Ted M
July 17th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks, Sybaris! :) Maybe my courage will increase soon! ;)

Another question for you all:

What is the difference between vbGallery and PhotoPost Pro? I couldn't find a feature comparison on the site anywhere...

Thanks in advance! :)

Chuck S
July 17th, 2006, 10:58 AM
http://www.photopost.com/compare.html

Ted M
July 17th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Wow, Chuck... you're like the Flash or something! :) Thanks for such a fast response!

I see by the price I missed the window of the $59. :) I reckon for $30 more I should just go with PhotoPost Pro! :)

Again, Chuck....thanks for the info! :)