PDA

View Full Version : COMPLAINT AGAINST Photopost

pennylessz28
July 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
I bought a license for photopost a while ago. Well my access to updates ran out. But I still own the license correct?

Well I can't download the product that I own anymore. I don't even have a copy of it. I know you're on a different version, but I should be allowed to download the version my license expired on.

Many other software providers do this. This is why I orginally switched to vbgallery when photopost did not own it.

I'm still annoyed that I can't download the old version. Frankly I find it 100% unsatisifcatory, and not a good honest business pratice, it's more or less like I have to keep subscribing if I want access to my download.

vbulletin will let you download your last version forever.

I would like to know if you attend to reverse this policy anytime soon.

I will send a formal complaint in writting via email and US Postal.

Michael P
July 3rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry, Michael, but we don't have the ability to store and make available software for previous versions available for download.

I know that most products I purchase online do not allow endless downloads; typically there is a short period of time (30-90 days) which I have available to download the product. One might argue that making a product available in that manner also would suggest support for those versions going indefinately.

I do not know of anyone who allows indefinate downloading of a final version to which you had access.

elite_admin
July 3rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
What if my computer crashes? Let's say I have bought" in my case" 2 licenses.Your saying that if I lose the install because of a computer crash and my 1 year is up that I can't download without paying more $..LMAO!!! you gotta be joking.I wouldn't have bought 1 let alone 2 licenses from you guys if I had know this and will be sure to tell all the people I refereed to this site what the deal is.You should be able to download the version you were using before yearly license expired.This is disturbing info.
Hell,why should you have to pay the $60 to begin with?If you are handling business like this then you may as well just make it a yearly cost just to run your program because that's basically what your saying unless the people are smart and lucky enough to save a back up install package.This post has really got me upset thinking how I WASTED $120 on the 2 licenses that I guess I'll have to back up to disc just in case.Jesus this is messed up!!!!!

Chuck S
July 3rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
Hello

I am saying this not because I work here but this is my experience with software on the net that I have bought for several years. I own several Photopost licenses as well as vbulletin and many other software products like UBBThreads which is made by Groupee etc. In every case to my knowledge when member's access is up you can not download the software period. This is just how this works industry wide. To my knowledge even though I have seen two people say vbulletin let's you download the code after expiration this is not my experience. I know I had to renew my access there to download vbulletin. The download link simply does not appear just like our members area works.

Once we release a new version it replaces the current version and support for old versions is dropped as Michael stated above. We do not keep old versions of the software since we do not support them.

This should not be disturbing information as our order page clearly shows this information.

One owned license grants you the right to run one software installation on one domain for an unlimited time, and purchasing an owned license gives you access to our members download area and support for one year.

Zachariah
July 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
I have 2 copies of my software on CD-RW / DVD-RW for back up.
- I try and update monthly or when big changes happen.

1 copy put away in a fire safe.
1 copy I use.

Since days of Windows 311.

Michael P
July 3rd, 2006, 07:41 PM
If you have the software installed on your server and the ZIP saved locally; you already have a backup. If, for some reason, your server goes bad and you loose your backup; drop us an email and we'll do what we can to help you.

That said, as I explained, we don't have that capability and it isn't something that just magically can happen and, in fact, I don't know any company that offers what you are saying you expect from us.

DementedMindz
July 3rd, 2006, 10:39 PM
this really aint my forum to post in but however vbulletin does allow you to download software when ever... if you have a owned license you can download it even a year later and i have seen it go longer then that... you just get no new updates nor do you get any support...

Michael P
July 4th, 2006, 07:18 AM
In the five or six years I've been doing this I've had one person that I can recall write to me and say they lost their download; so I sent them their version. Nobody is saying that we wouldn't work with you, we're just saying we don't have the software in place to allow downloads of previous versions.

By the way, you can get access to the current download at any time by just renewing your subscription; you don't need to purchase the software a second time.

If your license has run out and you do not wish to renew your subscription for the latest version, PM me your customer information and I'll see what I can do for you.