PDA

View Full Version : Use category cache?

mjm
July 1st, 2006, 02:36 AM
Use category cache?
On some larger sites, using the category cache can actually reduce performance.

Can someone explain what this does if set to ..
Yes
No

Thanks! :confused:

Chuck S
July 1st, 2006, 11:47 AM
It cache's the category and other data to increase performance on sites.

mjm
July 1st, 2006, 08:59 PM
Okay ... still clueless about what it caches so I'll just leave it at the default - Yes, as I don't see it breaking anything ;)

Michael P
July 1st, 2006, 09:06 PM
It caches all the information about the categories into an array which is stored in the db which would otherwise be queried and built on the fly.

drare
August 12th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Interesting, so it cache's the information of the catgories into a db array, so it increases performance, I understand, it works like a browsers cache, but what about the last part:
On some larger sites, using the category cache can actually reduce performance.
So I think I have a larger site with at the moment over 700 members, should I enable this or not?

drare
August 12th, 2009, 05:44 AM
As an addition to my above question, if I set it to Yes, my main categories are not displayed, only the descriptions, am I doing something wrong?

Chuck S
August 12th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Well there comes a time if your category number is too great that caching the extreme large amount of data can slow performance. It is relative to server setup so you can test performance for you.

The second issue sounds like a missing upgrade. You can always try enabling the cache and after viewing the index hit refresh and see if it loads.

ttiger
August 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM
How do I turn off caching in vbgallery?

Chuck S
August 24th, 2009, 09:56 PM
This discussion is about Photopost Pro not vbGallery. There is no setting in vbGallery for this.

ttiger
August 24th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Sorry, does vbgallery do this same thing with caching. I have a huge category list and it is absolutely crushing my server.

Chuck S
August 24th, 2009, 10:05 PM
How do you know this?

I believe vbulletin uses some sort of cache but thats built into vb. I cant say how to turn it off or not. I dont know of any setting to disable any caches in vb.

ttiger
August 24th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I have been working on this problem on and off for a long time, I keep getting faster and faster hardware as temporary semi fix.

Anyway I commented out these 2 lines in the config global file of vbgallery and the load dropped from 30 to less then 1 in a matter of minutes. But obviously that limited the functionality.

//'gallery_c_cache',
//'gal_mod_cache',

I have to turn off almost everything related to categories in the panel just to keep the site running.

Chuck S
August 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
yeah I dont think vbulletin has an off switch for there cache system. what limit in the functionality did you see commenting out the gallery cache calls?

ttiger
August 25th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I wasn't talking about vbulletins cache system. I thought vbgallery might have some kind of built in caching that was causing the problems with large #'s of categories. Like the photopost pro issue. I don't know how it works, I was only asking because I know my problem is because of my many categories.

Chuck S
August 25th, 2009, 03:05 PM
You said you lose functionality and that is the question I asked.

The gallery cache is simply inserted into the vb cache system so I dont beleive you can turn it off.

ttiger
August 25th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Like I said you would know more then me obviously I'm just hacking at this thing trying to get it to work faster.
When I comment out this line it fixes the load issues but then I get permission errors trying to view any of the images. I don't mind paying for a work around if you can help me.

//'gallery_c_cache',

Is it caching the category list over and over again? Is there anything you can think of I can try to improve the speed?

I'm running on a dedicated dual quadcore 5410 with 16 gigs ram so not much more I can do on the hardware end other then clustering or a few other things that I don't think would add much more then a temporary fix.

Michael P
August 26th, 2009, 09:22 AM
How large is your category list?

Honestly, I've never encountered this problem before and there is no "work around" as you can tell. I can't imagine why you would be seeing such a load from what is essentially a cahced listing of your categories and associated data - to not cache it would mean having to run complex queries on every page load which would likely result in even worse performance.

That you are simply not loading all the data to begin with won't get you very far.

ttiger
August 26th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I have 974 categories and 159,218 images. I turned off more things like the filmstrip etc and tweaked mysql settings added memcached and got the load down some, but it is still usually around 10 or so at least.