PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find the differences between PhotoPost Pro vs. Photopost vBGallery?

edprush
April 4th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Is there a features comparison anywhere?

thanks.

khurt
April 8th, 2006, 04:34 AM
I have the same question. I started searching various sites for a photo gallery product that has nice features and integrates well with vBulletin. I've spent quite a bit of time researching this recently. Prior to a couple of days ago, I had no knowledge of what PhotoPost or vbGallery were.

Basically, I've found 3 types of discussions:

Topics that do a great job explaining a single product (such as this one: http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109343), but don't offer any comparisons.
Topics that are essentially flame wars between PhotoPost supporters and vbGallery supporters (relating to the acquisition of vbGallery by PhotoPost/AEI).
Topics that vaguely describe the differences between the 2 products and then quickly turn into flame wars or go off-topic (generally by dealing with one user's troubleshooting issue).

Searching through these forums, I've found statements from the staff here that they're working on a comparison chart between PhotoPost Pro and vbGallery. That would be perfect because it would outline, in black&white, exactly what I'm getting for the extra expense. However, these statements are 5 months old and if they've created a comparison chart, I haven't found it yet.

It seems that PhotoPost Pro or vbGallery would be the best solution for me. However, it's hard to determine which is more appropriate for my site. The fact that this company hasn't been able to release any sort of comparison chart within the last 5 months is troubling. In fact, it makes me wonder if I should look for another option.

Anyway, based on the other threads I've read, here's the response that this thread will probably get (with my opinion tacked on):
PhotoPost Pro will integrate with many forums or act as a standalone product - vbGallery only works with vBulletin Doesn't matter to me as long as it works with vBulletin PhotoPost vbGallery integrates more easily with vBulletin than PhotoPost Pro That's a little vague, but it's definately a good quality. PhotoPost Pro has "better" features than vbGallery Alright, that sounds nice, but what are the features? Are these features that I even care about? Are they worth paying twice as much?
It's disappointing, as a potential customer, to have to wade through so much stuff and not really find an answer. My humble suggestion, for the staff, would be to update this post (http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109343) and create a list of features that are:
Unique to PhotoPost Pro Unique to PhotoPost vbGallery The same between the 2 products Offered by both products but slightly different (with an explanation of the difference)This would really help out your potential customers (and probably cut down on threads like this one). Alternatively, some sort of interactive demo or maybe a slideshow-type presentation might do the job. It doesn't have to be state-of-the-art; it just has to educate me about what I'm buying, so that I feel like I've made the right choice.