PDA

View Full Version : License Clarification (Development copies)

Axe
November 22nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
I vaguely remember reading something about this before, but can't remember the specifics, and can't find the thread :)

With the recent demise of PhotoPostDev (apparently due to lack of coders willing to submit hacks & help), the consequent resurrection of the PhotoPost Hacks forums here on this forum, and also due to the fact that on large(ish) sites receiving thousands of page views per day making it infeasible to develop hacks & mods on a production site, I just wanted to get a verification on a license question I had.

If you have a valid PhotoPost (or any other PP product) license, are you allowed to have a second installation running on a private/internal development server that is not accesible from the Internet?

Of course, realistically, there's no way for the PP team to know if you're running a second copy on a server that's not connected to a public network, but legally and morally it's an issue.

If this is legal or not, may I suggest the License (http://www.photopost.com/phplicense.html) be amended to clarify this point one way or the other? (as it currently only states 1 web server, 1 site per license).

Michael P
November 22nd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Yes, you can run a private copy for development purposes only. We expect that it would not be used by anyone but yourself for testing purposes. I hope that clarifies the issue, if you need more specifics I will be glad to answer them.

Axe
November 22nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks Michael, clarifies it just fine :)