View Full Version : Using vBadvanced Gallery with NOT pictures
October 24th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I want to upload custom multimedia, not images, (you say "Support for multimedia and any other types of files")
1) Can I generate the thumbnails myself (external script etc)?
2) Can I upload directly from a PC program - not a web page?
(I can simulate a web form upload)
3) Can I upload, say a zip and have a custom process unzip it and point vBaG at the unzipped content?
4) Is it possible to phone you guys?
I can do a bit or perl but have not done any php yet.
October 24th, 2005, 03:43 PM
1) The current version doesn't have the ability of associating a different thumbnail to the file. For example, you can't upload a .zip file and then show a thumbnail of a picture, instead by default you'll see a generic zip file icon.
2) The Gallery will currently receive files via the web page upload or via FTP but you'll still need to go the web page to bring the files into Gallery's DB after they've been upload by either method. For example, the FTP method is how I upload my wedding & vacation photos and then I go to the Gallery 'upload' page to bring them into Gallery in batch mode.
3) If you're familiar with PHP you may be able to hack it as such but that is not a functionality out of the box.
4) Normally all support is handled online but if you require anything out of the ordinary I'd suggest submitting a Support Ticket to see what can be worked out.
October 24th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Well you guys are fast at replying even if its not what I want to hear:rolleyes:
How easy is it to hack this stuff then?
For example take the thumbnails, it doesn't sound like rocket science to patch it to do something else?
Do I get any pointers in hacking from support eg "look here to change the thumbnail code".
October 24th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Ok here's an idea :)
Lets say I upload a thumbnail image and I tack on the end of that image binary data (it will still look like a JPEG to most viewers).
That solves the thumbnail problem, it will just work.
Can I change the code that views the picture full size to be something else eg java so that I can display the info exactly how I want?
October 24th, 2005, 04:51 PM
1) Wouldn't work because the thumbnails are based upon the file extension. If you leave the extension to be a zip file then the default .zip file icon will be displayed. If you change the extension to be .jpg then it will fail during the upload process because the code checks the file extension versus the file type (as identified by the PHP function) and rejects it if they don't match. You would have to hack around the extension check.
2) Again, it depends upon much PHP 'know-how' you have and/or are willing to hack the code.
October 25th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Ok thanks for that.
I noticed that with music fies, when I click them the file gets downloaded rather than simply being played. Is this normal?
October 25th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Ok thanks for that.
One final question. Presumably I install vB 3.5, get that up and running and then stick on vBaG ?
February 17th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Yes, though there is a hack released here that will allow you to play them inline instead.
Wondering where I could find this if its still here?
February 17th, 2006, 09:24 PM
VB 3.0 - 3.5.3
February 18th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Thanks very much!
vBulletin® v3.8.1, Copyright ©2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.