PDA

View Full Version : Will you use theVB 3.5 hooks and plugin system ?

Sharg
October 10th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Hi,
i'm insterested in gallery, but this could be a question for all your scripts.

Do you consider using the plugin installation system and hooks of new vb 3.5 system ? This should make installation even easier, and shoud allow much better integration of your scripts with vb.

Sharg

ConqSoft
October 10th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Gallery doesn't require any file edits anyway. ;) (There's one optional one that just groups the Templates together, and that can be done with a small plugin if you like. It's been posted here on the site somewhere.)

Sharg
October 10th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Ok, but it still doesn't use the plugin install sytem of 3.5. Will it ? And will it make use of the hooks for better integration ?

Sharg

ConqSoft
October 10th, 2005, 06:51 PM
What type of better integration did you have in mind?

Sharg
October 10th, 2005, 06:53 PM
One example being a link to the gallery in the navbar, to user gallery in the profile... these are just examples.

I'm sure there are hacks for this. But the whole point of the new vb 3.5 system is to allow perfect integration / easy installation within a single click.

Cordially,
Sharg

ConqSoft
October 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Those are template edits and can't be done via plugin anyway. You'd still have to make those template edits.

Sharg
October 10th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I thought that the whole point of the new plugin / hook system was to allow automatic modifications of the templates for integration of the third party script.

So i'm completely missing the point ?

That's disapointing. So what are these hooks for ??

Sharg

ConqSoft
October 10th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Plugins allow for hacks to be installed without having to modify PHP code. Template changes still have to be made manually.

Sharg
October 10th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Well then this is a bit disapointing.
It thought that this system was supposed to get rid of hacks installation and upgrade nightmares. So I thought there were hooks both in code and templates. Isn't this logical ?

If there is no hook in templates than only half of the problem is resolved.

Anyway...
Sharg

ConqSoft
October 10th, 2005, 07:10 PM
It does, since you don't have to re-do all the PHP file edits.

Template changes aren't overwritten when you upgrade. When changes to templates are required, those changes are noted with the vBulletin release information, so you can see if you need to update any of your modified templates.

ConqSoft
October 10th, 2005, 07:12 PM
You should continue this discussion on vbulletin.com... Lots of info there.

Sharg
October 10th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Yes, this is what I did.

Thanks,
Sharg