PDA

View Full Version : We use Photopost now, but are considering moving over

imported_ludachris
October 7th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I have a few questions... we like Photopost for all of its features. However, it is still a completely different code set from vB, as where vBadvanced Gallery appears to be more inline with how vB was coded. I'm assuming that will make it easier to tie into vB in ways that PP might be difficult.

There are a couple customizations that we've made to have Photopost more integrated into vB that I'll need to make sure this Gallery script can do before we can really consider this as an option. Here are the necessities:

- Place a "My Gallery" link in vB Profile pages and on Postbit pages next to posts by that user.
- Place the photo count in the vB Profile. So if a user has uploaded 10 photos, it will say that in their profile.

And here are things that we've always wanted to do with Photopost that we couldn't, but would like to see if it's possible with this Gallery:

- Have the ability to show all photos uploaded by a user (or at least the first 5-10) in their vB profile page. Similar to how the "View all of this User's Photos" works.
- Allow each user to choose whether or not they want to allow comments at the time of uploading their photos.
- Give the photo owner the permission to moderate the comments made on their photos, and prevent users in their ignore lists from commenting on their photos.
- Take away uploading priveleges on a per-user basis. Basically, ban them from using the gallery, but not the forums.
- Show the best rated photo on other non-Gallery pages.
- Show the last 5 photos on non-Gallery pages.

Please let me know if these options are possible, and if they aren't now, how difficult would it be to make them available? Is there customization support from you guys? Obviously, we'd need to import all of our previous images from Photopost to vBadvanced Gallery. I'm sure you guys can do this, right?

pennylessz28
October 7th, 2005, 06:53 PM
I have a few questions... we like Photopost for all of its features. However, it is still a completely different code set from vB, as where vBadvanced Gallery appears to be more inline with how vB was coded. I'm assuming that will make it easier to tie into vB in ways that PP might be difficult.

There are a couple customizations that we've made to have Photopost more integrated into vB that I'll need to make sure this Gallery script can do before we can really consider this as an option. Here are the necessities:

1 - Place a "My Gallery" link in vB Profile pages and on Postbit pages next to posts by that user.
2 - Place the photo count in the vB Profile. So if a user has uploaded 10 photos, it will say that in their profile.

And here are things that we've always wanted to do with Photopost that we couldn't, but would like to see if it's possible with this Gallery:

- Have the ability to show all photos uploaded by a user (or at least the first 5-10) in their vB profile page. Similar to how the "View all of this User's Photos" works.
- Allow each user to choose whether or not they want to allow comments at the time of uploading their photos.
- Give the photo owner the permission to moderate the comments made on their photos, and prevent users in their ignore lists from commenting on their photos.
- Take away uploading priveleges on a per-user basis. Basically, ban them from using the gallery, but not the forums.
- Show the best rated photo on other non-Gallery pages.
- Show the last 5 photos on non-Gallery pages.

Please let me know if these options are possible, and if they aren't now, how difficult would it be to make them available? Is there customization support from you guys? Obviously, we'd need to import all of our previous images from Photopost to vBadvanced Gallery. I'm sure you guys can do this, right?

1.) Yes there is already a hack/add-on
2.) same as 1

All of those options are possible, I am a former Photopost user, and I can tell you that vbgallery is 100x times easier to use, and install. Installation took less than 5 minutes.

Configuration and add-ons are easy. All of your styles work seemless.

There is an import script so you can upgrade from photopost to vbgallery.

Yes to all your questions. :D

imported_ludachris
October 7th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Another question- do the reported photos get sent to ALL moderators? That was another issue I had with PP.

And about the licensing - do you guys have a "purchased" license option and a lower members-area renewal fee like vB? We have 3 sites that we'll be using the software on, and I'd like to try and save some money in the long run. It appears you have to purchase a new license every year for each installation if you want to be able to download the newer versions. That could turn out to be more expensive than Photopost for those of us who have multiple installations. You would think there would be some incentive for multiple site owners.

pennylessz28
October 7th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Another question- do the reported photos get sent to ALL moderators? That was another issue I had with PP.

And about the licensing - do you guys have a "purchased" license option and a lower members-area renewal fee like vB? We have 3 sites that we'll be using the software on, and I'd like to try and save some money in the long run. It appears you have to purchase a new license every year for each installation if you want to be able to download the newer versions. That could turn out to be more expensive than Photopost for those of us who have multiple installations. You would think there would be some incentive for multiple site owners.

No, photopost is more exspensive.

It costs roughly $60 dollars for the license, which is OWNED. And ito renew Members' Area Access for 1 Year is $19.99. This option will allow you to renew your access to the Members' Area here for an additional year.

Which is cheaper again than photopost.

As for the reporting photos, I am not sure as I haven't used that feature. Have to ask Brian.

imported_ludachris
October 7th, 2005, 11:04 PM
No, photopost is more exspensive.

It costs roughly $60 dollars for the license, which is OWNED. And ito renew Members' Area Access for 1 Year is $19.99. This option will allow you to renew your access to the Members' Area here for an additional year.

Which is cheaper again than photopost.

As for the reporting photos, I am not sure as I haven't used that feature. Have to ask Brian.
Okay, that's much better. I went through the purchase link and the wording made it sound as though you'd have to pay $60 per year to renew your member access for upgrades. That would turn out to be more expensive than photopost after a few years. If it's only $20 per year to renew, then that's much better.

pennylessz28
October 7th, 2005, 11:43 PM
vbGallery is most diffently the deal. I got tired of the hassel of photopost. And it seemed it was going down hill anyways.

I diefiently don't feel it was worth the 128 dollars I orginally payed.

Brian
October 8th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Reported posts/images are sent to all admins and all moderators of the category.

Morrow
October 10th, 2005, 10:43 PM
I can't judge vbGallery, but I will say that I'm pretty satisfied with the Photopost product. It's been very reliable. One thing I will say about the photopost support... It's a little lacking. You'll post a question with all of the details and someone will get back to you a day later asking you if you've tried such and such... Clearly, if they'de read your question in its entirety, they'de already know that you've tried all of that. So now you're waiting even longer for a reply.

Overall though, once you're done with support issues, it's a very good product. One of the photopost supported addon's is the ability to upload photo's via your cell phone. I just got it working and I think this is a great addition.

sean747
October 11th, 2005, 12:00 AM
however you have to remember that photopost's community is not very contributing comparing to vbgallery or any other gallery in general. For example, there are only 2 to 3 useful hacks or addons released for photopost, where as here there is a lot more or at least you can request and get probably something close to it.

Photopostdev is the hack/addon website for "photopost", and there is mostly requests and hardly any hacks or major addons.

However photopost has some features that vbgallery doesn't have yet, but it's just a matter of time till vbgallery catches up since they started later than photopost.

Morrow
October 11th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Sean, you're also right about photopost communities lack of hacks, but I just took a look at the hacks for VBGallery and I believe all of them are already included within the photopost core product. However, you do pay a premium to have all of that included whereas Gallery is clearly cheaper.

imported_ludachris
October 14th, 2005, 01:14 AM
however you have to remember that photopost's community is not very contribution comparing to vbgallery or any other gallery in general. For example, there are only 2 to 3 useful hacks or addons released for photopost, where as here there is a lot more or at least you can request and get probably something close to it.

Photopostdev is the hack/addon website for "photopost", and there is mostly requests and hardly any hacks or major addons.

However photopost has some features that vbgallery doesn't have yet, but it's just a matter of time till vbgallery catches up since they started later than photopost.
This is one of the top reasons we're considering moving over from Photopost. We want to go with a product that has more developers contributing more hacks. Photopost does have a lot of stock features, and it is a very good product in general, but try requesting a hack in their development forum (actually, they recently shut down their dev forum due to lack of participation). I've been requesting a couple hacks for over a year with no luck.

That's why I love vB and any software written for vB (with a codebase that's similar). The vB community is great for contributing hacks.