PDA

View Full Version : Moving of Photos from Fotki

Noonster
September 21st, 2005, 06:09 AM
I have lots of photos stored in a fotki account
- www.fotki.com <--- main site
- www.fotki.com/ccuk <--- my photo's

I was wondering is there a way of getting all these in the gallery (ftp?) or would I have to manually create catergorys etc.. and upload them one by one etc..??

I am really leaning towards getting vBGallery and not photopost... and I am hoping it can do this as I know photopost lets you do ftp.

You answer would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Darren

PhoenixDown21
September 21st, 2005, 06:35 AM
vba gallery will let you FTP photos too but off hand I think you would too re-enter the info into the db. You might be able to import it into something like coppermine then import that into vba gallery.

Noonster
September 21st, 2005, 06:44 AM
Im guessing its just the admin that can ftp photos?? as thats ok.

So If i just created the folders for each car and then just uploaded the images to that folder they would just show??

Hope that makes sence??

Will also look into that coppermin thing.

Cheers
Daz

PhoenixDown21
September 21st, 2005, 11:06 AM
You can give FTP access to anyone (you trust). The files will need to be uploaded into specific folders however as folder ID is associated with the userid on your site.

Noonster
September 21st, 2005, 11:22 AM
You can give FTP access to anyone (you trust). The files will need to be uploaded into specific folders however as folder ID is associated with the userid on your site.
Will just be the admins with the ftp access.... So we would be moving all the images accross our self.

So how would that work??
- Say Me.Blogs is userid 81
- How would I know where to put his pics to make them worth with his id??

If that makes sence...
- Also I "dont" want every member to have a folder ONLY members in the paid members group and obviously mods and admins.... I "dont" want a folder to be shown just for registered users. Is this possible??

Cheers
Daz

PhoenixDown21
September 21st, 2005, 11:31 AM
Folders are created when you upload pics, if a usergroup doesn't have permission to upload a pic, no folder is created. :)

If you use the default folders, the direct url tothe image would be something like:

http://www.nycpagans.com/gallery/files/1/Phoenix.jpg

The 1 would be the user ID.

---------

edit: there may be some other ways too, I haven't really used the bulk upload feature of the gallery.

Noonster
September 21st, 2005, 11:42 AM
Folders are created when you upload pics, if a usergroup doesn't have permission to upload a pic, no folder is created. :)

If you use the default folders, the direct url tothe image would be something like:

http://www.nycpagans.com/gallery/files/1/Phoenix.jpg

The 1 would be the user ID.

---------

edit: there may be some other ways too, I haven't really used the bulk upload feature of the gallery.

Thats brilliant information... so in theory if the user uploads 1 image, I can then go into the ftp and move all his images accross that he used to have into that folder??

Hope thats right as if it is then I think the idea is sold to me....

Oh and im guessing the folder that gets created when they upload an image automatically goes into the members gallery bit?? and not just on the main page of the vbgallery. <-- does that make sence??

Thanks for your help with sorting this.
Daz

Brian
September 21st, 2005, 01:18 PM
Unfortunatly it's not quite as easy as you are thinking. If you have many images by different users then your best bet is going to be to use the FTP option (as said before). You would need to copy the images for each user and move them into the FTP bulk upload folder (usually /gallery/users/your_user_id - not based on the user the image will belong to, but just the userid of the person uploading the images). Then when you start the bulk upload you will have an option to select which username you want to upload the images under.

Noonster
September 21st, 2005, 01:35 PM
Unfortunatly it's not quite as easy as you are thinking. If you have many images by different users then your best bet is going to be to use the FTP option (as said before). You would need to copy the images for each user and move them into the FTP bulk upload folder (usually /gallery/users/your_user_id - not based on the user the image will belong to, but just the userid of the person uploading the images). Then when you start the bulk upload you will have an option to select which username you want to upload the images under.
I see...

Yeah thats fine...
- So do Mr.X images in one go then select his folder.... them images move from upload folder to his gallery.
- Then do Mr.Y images and do the same as above
- so on and so forth....

Thats not a problem at all...

Cheers
Daz ;)